Thread: Help Identify Single Shot

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Help Identify Single Shot

Hello Everyone,
    I just acquired an old single shot that I would like to know a little about.
    I'm thinking that it is probably from the 50's... there's no metal frame around the glass??
    I'd like to know the manufacturer and year.
    A label on the lower left of the play field says "FUJIYAMA PACHINKO"
    A label on the upper left says KK HOKOKUYUKI. SEISAKUSYO.... and has patent numbers 199063 417475 417476.
    I haven't been able to find any information on any of those names.
    The "SunCell" label on the front does not have a date on it like others I have seen.
    The center feature says DON QUIXOTE 77777
    The machine needs a lot of cleaning and some repair. Someone nailed the front closed so there's nail holes and split wood that needs repaired. The tin parts on the back are rusted... some are bent and some seams broken... so I'll be removing most everything to remove the rust, re-tin some seams and straighten everything so that it will function properly. The cell is in good shape... no water stains... just needs cleaning.

Any help identifying this machine would be appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

100_3740.jpg100_3746.jpg100_3756.jpg100_3760.jpg100_3762.jpg100_3738.jpg

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Greg Lockhart

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help Identify Single Shot

That is a very interesting machine. The brand is Fujiyama, which I have never heard of. But based on the looks of the machine it looks oddly similar to Nishijin machines of the same time period, so they might have been a branch off. Build year I would guess it around 53-55. The front does look to be in pretty nice shape (other than the crack above the tray.). Neat machine for sure.

Oh you can find pictures of similar nishijin machines here. Pages 10-15
    http://pachinkoboy.com/machine-models-by-brand/nishijin

Also just noticed you are missing the chute that goes back to the front tray at the bottom. Unless that is one of the things that broke off. But that would be a part that could be made fairly easily.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 10-10-2014 at 03:46 PM.

100 machines and counting...

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great machine. I am really drawn to the single shot machines. The chrome win pockets and center features, simplicity of design, and overall general aesthetic of the machines are a thing of beauty. I noticed this machine also doesn't appear to have any lights. Being new to the hobby I am still trying to learn as much as I can. Was there a point in time when lights became standard like tulips appearing around 1960?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    Was there a point in time when lights became standard like tulips appearing around 1960?
    Yeah it was late 50's like 56-58 when people first started putting them on. Tulips first came out in 64 (I think) but weren't widely used till the late 60's. Same pretty much goes for the lights.

100 machines and counting...

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The center appears to rotate. Looks like only manually. Don't look like enough to make the words or the 15 go away. Wouldn't that be cool if you could rotate it to change the payout!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the response.
    mxfaiman, thanks for the link to your Nishijin catalog... this one does look just like the '54 model... unless I find out differently that's what I'll call it. I did notice the missing part of the chute on the back... you're right it will be pretty easy to make a replacement part. I would like to use a similar metal (tin?) so it will match the rest of the machine.
    Does anyone know where you can get that type of tin?
    pachiwall, the center does rotate back and forth... I assume when a ball goes in the top pocket.
    Does anyone know what, or who, "DON QUIXOTE" is?

100_3764.jpg

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Greg Lockhart

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Don Quixote (/ˌdɒn kˈht/; Spanish: [ˈdoŋ kiˈxote] ( )), fully titled The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha (Spanish: El ingenioso hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha), is a Spanish novel by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra. It follows the adventures of Alonso Quixano, an hidalgo who reads so many chivalric novels that he decides to set out to revive chivalry, under the name Don Quixote.

taken from Wikipedia
    Ian #UKPachinko

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks... that's interesting... written in 1605

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So when rotated, it turns the outside surface of the center feature. I thought that the inside would have rotated...the part that said DON Quixote 777. What does this change? I don't actually think it rotates when a ball goes through...looks like it needs to be manually twisted. Looks like only parlor operated, as it is behind the glass. Have you looked at the backside as it is rotated? It has to do something, or it wouldn't have been added. I haven't seen that before and am curious as to its function! Do you have pachinko balls? Have you tried just enough balls to test the jackpot function? Of course to test it, you will need to put a box below to catch the balls that will be paid out. Close the L shaped tab to block the balls from dumping down the channel on the right first. 15 balls to fill the tilting track...at least 15 more balls to refill it. Reset the seesaw, drop a ball in a pocket. the tray with the balls should tilt and dump the balls into the center, the balls that refill the tilting tray (which also measures out 15 more balls for the jackpot) are necessary to trip the lever to open the trap door to dump the jackpot. Some of the channels and trays might be bent and not flow balls properly...that will just let you know what needs to be straightened out! If it does a basic payout...what happens when the center is twisted one way or the other? One thought is it may dump the balls out of the center for emptying the machine for maintenance.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm curious about that too. I've started taking the machine apart already... took the upper tray off the back and the tray, flipper etc. off the front. But I should be able to put some balls in the upper tracks and try dropping some balls in pockets to see if any of the mechanisms work... it's pretty rusty back there. I'll look at that this evening and let you know.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I expected that it wouldn't function properly in its current condition. I always attempt a function test almost immediately...just to see what I've got myself into! Even if function testing is a bust, once you get it apart enough to see the works of the center feature/jackpot mechanism; it should be easy to see the reason! Good luck, and post many pics!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, I put some balls in the tracks and found out that the center feature is the front of jackpot mechanism. You can see the balls around the center.
    When I drop a ball in a pocket the payout mechanism(s) work... with a little coaxing. The jackpot mech. drops about 25 balls... I know it's only supposed to drop 15... something may need adjusted or it may have something to do with the way the tracks tilt up and down. The tracks each have two rows of balls... each holding around 15 balls... maybe the rows alternate when it's working properly. I'm sure I'll be able to sort that out when the time comes. I've included pictures of the tracks in the "rest" position and in the "payout" position where the upper track tilts down and the lower track tilts up. During the payout an arm that is connected to the outside of the center feature is pushed up which causes the outside to rotate (1/8 turn) and covers up the "DON QUIXOTE 77777" momentarily.
    Thanks for the reply's.

100_3765.jpg100_3768.jpg100_3769.jpg

19. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Greg Lockhart

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can tell now, by the hooks in the up position, that it has 2 tracks. That is very cool! I don't think I have seen one of that era with twin tracks. Try flipping the pair of hooks down to make a ball stop. They should hold back 2 rows of balls. At the end of the tilting track...there is an L shaped tab soldered to the bottom. When the track tilts, the 2 rows of balls on it (probably 1 row of 7 & 1 row of 8) pour off onto the tray below. This tray moves from the weight of the balls, that move the linkage that unblocks the trap door of the center jackpot. The jackpot balls fall out to front tray. As the balls that came from the tilting tray, that activated the trap door linkage, roll towards the the now empty center jackpot...the trap door linkage closes the trap door before these balls get into the center. the tilting tray that dumped the balls is refilled by the balls being held back by the L shaped piece soldered to the bottom of it.
    I think your oversized jackpot is because the hooks...with a spring on it, is in the up position! They should be down against that headless nail. If it pretty much works, with a little encouragement...then you can get it to work! Just a matter of finding out what's binding it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks pachiwall, that will help me get the mechanisms working properly when I get this all cleaned up and put back together.

mxfaiaman, or anyone else, can someone with a similar machine post a picture of the lower rear chute that sends the balls to the front tray (maybe from a couple of angles). I'm missing that part on this machine and I'll need to make one.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

062.jpg Ugly old Ginza. 055.jpg054.jpg Not good pics but some pics I've taken in the past. I'll show the front, then whatever pics I took of that part while I was working on it! Ginza 001.jpg My other Ginza.Ginza 009.jpg Thought I had more pics of that one.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Comicgo 004.jpgComigo is very similar to a Giza.comicgo rust 003.jpg Mostly model C 006.jpgsuccess 009.jpg I think these are all the pics I have taken in the past of similar era machines I have. I also have a Maraudi New Prince...I'll dig them up just to give you ideas! If anything above looks like a good try...just let me know, and I will take better pics!

24. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall