Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electrical questions

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Electrical questions

Hi,

so still in initial stages of my breaking down my Maruto so I can clean it. It is a mess. Anyway I have a couple electrical questions. If you look at this picture which shows the wiring there are 2 things I am unsure of as of now (I am sure more questions later when I put back together). First is there is a red wire with nothing going to it. What does that hook to? Second, there is a bulb that is going down towards the bottom and it was just kind of stuck around the corner of the playfield. Not sure if that is where it should have gone as no socket or anything, it was just down by the hammer. Also as I am typing, not sure where the battery would get hooked up, I assume to the colored knobs but no idea. Just looking for some insight.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Electrical questions

power to the green and red post..

the light that is hanging is an after thought... A homeowner add on.. nothing like that would have been added by the factory..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

+ 1 with Mopar on the added light.

Which red wire is disconnected? I can't see it. Also, I'm not familiar with this machine, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the ball tray long enough to actuate that lever switch. Could something be missing?
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks guys for the replies. I figured that was probably the case with the extra light. I may just remove it.

Bill for for the wire I have circled it in attached photo. The green wire as you can see was also loose but looks like it just came loose from where it was taped to the other green wire. And the picture I had posted is missing parts as I had started taking it apart already. I noticed the red wire after I took off some.

Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies. I figured that was probably the case with the extra light. I may just remove it.

Bill for for the wire I have circled it in attached photo. The green wire as you can see was also loose but looks like it just came loose from where it was taped to the other green wire. And the picture I had posted is missing parts as I had started taking it apart already. I noticed the red wire after I took off some.

Mike
    It's entirely possible the "hanging (Automotive BTW) Lamp" may have been for the Hopper empty lamp and the red wire (which looks like it's routing under the Jackpot) may be a feed for the jackpot lamp in the center.

either way get a 9v battery and a connector from radio shack to power up the circuit (at the block) and see what the micro switches activate..

;P

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I took some pictures after the cover of the jackpot was taken off. The light that is hanging I do think originally may have been for the ball empty light. The one that is there is wired to the bulb and no socket. If you look at this picture the green wire coming from the jackpot I am thinking goes to the other green wire with the tape but it goes to yah bulb. Would that be right? The red wire coming from the jackpot does cross over it to the jackpot switch. Not sure where it would get wired to. The wiring job I sloppy with exposed wires in several places.

Thanks for for any insight.

Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is a picture of a similar Maruto. The wiring is pretty similar to yours with minor differences. Also the 3 wires that seem like they disappear to the left would be for the fuse block. But it looks like someone bypassed it with the gray wires.

100 machines and counting...

11. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Max! I will try to make heads or tails our of it. I get nervous with electrical so will just be careful. Would it be better if I replaced the lights with led or just new sockets/bulbs if these are bad? The one for the ball out as I mentioned looks soldered to the bulb itself and the one for the jackpot is wrapped in tape and need to unwrap to see what it is like inside. For now I remove them and put them in a bag as I am still taking everything off the back.

Thanks again,
    mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Max! I will try to make heads or tails our of it. I get nervous with electrical so will just be careful. Would it be better if I replaced the lights with led or just new sockets/bulbs if these are bad? The one for the ball out as I mentioned looks soldered to the bulb itself and the one for the jackpot is wrapped in tape and need to unwrap to see what it is like inside. For now I remove them and put them in a bag as I am still taking everything off the back.

Thanks again,
    mike
    No need to be super nervous with the wiring on these its super low voltage (9v-10v range) you're not going to set the house on fire with it if you wire something up wrong (at least with a battery in line) even if you knock connections off the block it's fairly easy to soldier back on. and best yet, Pachitalk is a fantastic resource for when you get stuck on something.. :katebush:

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Phulkrum View Post
    No need to be super nervous with the wiring on these its super low voltage (9v-10v range) you're not going to set the house on fire with it if you wire something up wrong (at least with a battery in line) even if you knock connections off the block it's fairly easy to soldier back on. and best yet, Pachitalk is a fantastic resource for when you get stuck on something.. :katebush:
    yep, everybody here has always been very helpful when I need it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can covert it to LEDs if you want. However there are some things to know first. LEDs are very directional and don't light up the plastic parts as well as the light bulbs. Second, you would have to redo all the wiring (not that you don't really have to do that already.) but you have to keep in mind about polarity otherwise you will fry the LED, light bulbs don't have to worry about polarity so the wiring is a little simpler.

Also I second what Phulkrum said, you don't have to worry too much about burning down the house as it is low voltage and amperage.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi,

I am in the process of putting my machine back together and am back to the electrical questions. As you can see the bulbs are attached directly to the wires. I want to go to radioshack tomorrow and get some sockets and bulbs but not sure what to get. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I either buy 7.5 volt bulbs and hook to a 9 volt battery or 12 volt bulbs and hook to a 12 volt power supply. I do have a Newgin machine that uses the 14 volt automotive type bulbs. I actually saw a 14 volt power supply at Goodwill a couple weeks back and passed it up thinking it had more power than I could use. I need to go back now to see if they still have it or another like it. Also make sure you have a good idea of how large the opening for your bulb is so you buy something that will fit it. I have a 1962 Nagoya that had really small openings for the bulbs and had to keep my eye out for a bulb that would fit.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    I either buy 7.5 volt bulbs and hook to a 9 volt battery or 12 volt bulbs and hook to a 12 volt power supply. I do have a Newgin machine that uses the 14 volt automotive type bulbs. I actually saw a 14 volt power supply at Goodwill a couple weeks back and passed it up thinking it had more power than I could use. I need to go back now to see if they still have it or another like it. Also make sure you have a good idea of how large the opening for your bulb is so you buy something that will fit it. I have a 1962 Nagoya that had really small openings for the bulbs and had to keep my eye out for a bulb that would fit.
    thank you. I am assuming if I go to radio shack and tell them I need 7.5 volt bulbs and sockets they will be able to help me find what I need then. Last time I went to one the guy was a little clueless (I am clueless so need help from someone who is not ) so going to try a different location.

hopefully I will be playing the machine tonight.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

here's what i used for the last machine.

http://www.radioshack.com/e10-vertic...start=30&sz=12

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Phulkrum View Post
    here's what i used for the last machine.

http://www.radioshack.com/e10-vertic...start=30&sz=12
    thank you. What bulbs did you purchase? I called radioshack and the person I spoke to was not very helpful.

Is is there a place online to order them in packs of 10 or something? I have several other machines lined up after this one.

Thanks again!
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Many people use either of these bulbs.

http://www.radioshack.com/7-5v-220ma...d+Base&start=6
    http://www.radioshack.com/12v-75ma-i...start=19&sz=12

The differences is the voltage. One is 7.5 and the other is 12. Most wallwarts you can find are either 9 or 12 volts. Some member use the 7.5v bulb with a 9v wallwart because they light up really bright, but this does shorten the life of the bulb. I personally use 9v bulbs (which I can't find for sale anymore right now.) But 12v would be my next option.

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

thank you. What bulbs did you purchase?...Is is there a place online to order them in packs of 10 or something?...
    My general rule is to use a bulb rated as close to the power supply as possible whether you are using a battery or an adapter. If I can't find an exact match I tend to go with a lower rated bulb. As Max noted, it may lower the life of the bulb a little, but will provide a brighter output. I don't like to use a bulb with a higher power rating because it won't light as well and you may overheat your power source. For example, a 9v battery running a couple 12v lights may get hot. I also make sure I have a fuse when using a plug in adapter and don't worry about it with a 9 volt battery as it's not going to burn the house down if something goes wrong.

Amazon.com has bulk bulbs, but I haven't found any that qualify for free shipping so it's actually more expensive to buy in bulk based on my experience.

27. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Both. I am going to call radio shack back to see if they have or can get for me and if not available will finish putting the rest of the back on and take care of the lights after. I am eager to play this tonight. I then need to decide which machine is next. I think my new model A. I was supposed to show some shots of the shooter area but have yet to have time. Hoping this weekend... Thanks again!

29. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry one more question. Will the 7.5 bulbs Max listed work in the sockets that phulkrum listed? Thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast