Thread: Another article about how legalized gambling in Japan will affect pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Another article about how legalized gambling in Japan will affect pachinko

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to tragar

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Another article about how legalized gambling in Japan will affect pachinko

Interesting article. I've read a couple of other articles on this subject over the last few months. The prospect of legalized gambling in Japan does seem to have the Pachinko industry on edge. I believe the declining demograpic (young people not being interested in it) has more of a potential to kill the industry than having legalized gambling. To some degree I believe that's reflected in our hobby. Does anyone know what the average age of the members here are? I would not be surprised if it matched the current average age of those who play the pachinko and pachislo machines in Japan.
    Last edited by ackleplem; 10-04-2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Forgotten punctuation.
    I have not lost my mind. I have it backed up on disk somewhere...
    Dai Yamato, Gundam One Year War, Thunderbirds, Mach Go Go Go, Aliens
    Yamato Resurrection, Late '75 Nishjin Sumo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Another article about how legalized gambling in Japan will affect pachinko

74 years old here, I'm one of the old modern pachi players
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great book on Pachinko and its impacts on Japanese society and its falling popularity.
    The author has a PhD in criminology and lectures on aspects of gambling in general and pachinko in particular all over the world.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412433121.297268.jpg
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    74 years old here, I'm one of the old modern pachi players
    I'm 49. I think I'm in the "younger" portion of the age bracket.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ackleplem View Post
    Does anyone know what the average age of the members here are? .
    44 here, been collecting for about three years now
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

57 here. I started collecting pachinko machines in the 1970's. Stopped for a while then revived my collecting in 2006. I have 12 vintage and 54 modern machines as of now, I think!

Jerry
    PACHINKO, THE #1 DRUG!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by portercbl View Post
    57 here. I started collecting pachinko machines in the 1970's. Stopped for a while then revived my collecting in 2006. I have 12 vintage and 48 modern machines as of now, I think!

Jerry
    48 moderns, my mistake. I must be thinking of the future!
    PACHINKO, THE #1 DRUG!

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to portercbl

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ackleplem View Post
    Interesting article. I've read a couple of other articles on this subject over the last few months. The prospect of legalized gambling in Japan does seem to have the Pachinko industry on edge. I believe the declining demograpic (young people not being interested in it) has more of a potential to kill the industry than having legalized gambling. To some degree I believe that's reflected in our hobby. Does anyone know what the average age of the members here are? I would not be surprised if it matched the current average age of those who play the pachinko and pachislo machines in Japan.
    Im only 35 years old =)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe you are the youngest so far! I am happy to see someone in their '30's having an interest in this hobby.

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was 28 when I joined PT.. There have been several teen and a few preteen members over the years!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

some interesting info from the above book:
    -pachinko originated in Nagoya where there were several aircraft manufacturing facilities. at the end of the war there was a huge surplus of ball bearings and so pachinko was born in 1945 as a form of entertainment for the occupying allied soldiers. it's popularity really took off once cigarettes which were scarce in post-war japan, began to be used asw prizes.
    -the pre paid card market (CR) machines were introduced by the police since pachinko parlors routinely topped the list of tax evading entities. cash swindling was commonplace and a card system was thought to remedy this by keeping better track of sales figures. the CR system is regarded as a failure though since the cards are easily forged. parlors didn't actively look for forged cards though because they were not affected if a forged card was used.

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrGneiss View Post
    I was 28 when I joined PT.. There have been several teen and a few preteen members over the years!!
    I did not know that. It will be a bit ironic if the interest here outlasts the interest over in Japan.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to ackleplem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am 46 but I got my first at age 8 or 9 as a gift from my father. It was the only pachinko machine I ever saw until I got my second one last year. I had been keeping it with hopes of restoring one day. I tried years ago to get it going with no luck then last year gave another whack at it and found this site which was so useful to me with all the people willing to help. Without the help I never would have been successful. I restored it though does not look original as I changed the playfield cel to a different one as could not find the same and I painted the case door. I still think they are so cool and ever since I was a kid everybody who has seen mine have thought so as well. Most people have never seen one before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

21. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Great book on Pachinko and its impacts on Japanese society and its falling popularity.
    The author has a PhD in criminology and lectures on aspects of gambling in general and pachinko in particular all over the world.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412433121.297268.jpg
    I tried to find that book but could not find. Maybe try to find used.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have always been into the history of whatever my interests are as much as the interest itself. There are tons of books on pachinkos and I've got quite a few from YJA but unfortunately 99% of them are in Japanese. This is the first book I've seen in English-I got it off eBay. Until I read this book, there's been little to no info in the way of definitive, referenced background/history on pachinko on this website or anywhere else that I've seen. It's all been someone's educated guess as far as I can tell. I've also got a professionally produced 8 or 10 volume VHS set and I really have no idea what's on the tapes other than they're about pachinko. The covers have various pics of parlors, people making pachinkos, adjusting nails, machines, etc. I guess I need to pick up a second hand VCR and finally view them. I suppose at this stage all VCR's are second hand...
    Anyway, there's a couple used ones on Amazon starting at 50 bucks.

24. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    I have always been into the history of whatever my interests are as much as the interest itself. There are tons of books on pachinkos and I've got quite a few from YJA but unfortunately 99% of them are in Japanese. This is the first book I've seen in English-I got it off eBay. Until I read this book, there's been little to no info in the way of definitive, referenced background/history on pachinko on this website or anywhere else that I've seen. It's all been someone's educated guess as far as I can tell. I've also got a professionally produced 8 or 10 volume VHS set and I really have no idea what's on the tapes other than they're about pachinko. The covers have various pics of parlors, people making pachinkos, adjusting nails, machines, etc. I guess I need to pick up a second hand VCR and finally view them. I suppose at this stage all VCR's are second hand...
    Anyway, there's a couple used ones on Amazon starting at 50 bucks.
    I agree, I find the research almost as enjoyable as the restoration or use of an item. Thanks, I saw the used ones on amazon. But right now cannot swing that price. I will keep an eye out.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    I am 46 but I got my first at age 8 or 9 as a gift from my father. It was the only pachinko machine I ever saw until I got my second one last year. I had been keeping it with hopes of restoring one day. I tried years ago to get it going with no luck then last year gave another whack at it and found this site which was so useful to me with all the people willing to help. Without the help I never would have been successful. I restored it though does not look original as I changed the playfield cel to a different one as could not find the same and I painted the case door. I still think they are so cool and ever since I was a kid everybody who has seen mine have thought so as well. Most people have never seen one before.
    I hadn't seen a pachinko machine until a few years ago. I had gotten into pachislos first. I think both are types of machines are cool and are fun to play.