Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Power Flash Arrived!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Ebay Power Flash Arrived!

Well folks,
    the power flash arrived and I'm VERY happy.

the plastics have all the original paint on them and they are without chipping in the details!.
    only one sticker fell off but that's nothing to be honest. I'm happy to state that the basic electronics appear to be functional the bulbs lit for the different states and the unit passed basic ball check in the tulips and jackpot action!

the play field has no water damage and showing light ball tracking only!

the 2 amp fuse for the solenoids was burned out so i couldn't check if the relay and the switches were good and it appears that the switch on the payout tray was not a cheat install but only a power switch for the system.

I'm going to get glass and a fuse this weekend to check out the rest but besides the bumper in the upper right of the play field needing replacement it's only going to take pin cleanup and other light cleanup work to get it ready for the wall and play time!

Photos to be posted this weekend!

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congrats!
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Ebay Power Flash Arrived!

congrats to ya

keep us posted
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great to hear that all seems well! As you know...Powerflash machines are risky due to the fact that people ruin them before they know what they are doing!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Someone on here was making replacement decals for these machines. Can't remember who but someone else might.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

member Mike Bodi made a damn fine set.. last i knew he had given them all away...

PachiTalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes - Mike sent me a set for my power flash. They are a perfect match. Anyone heard from him lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well,

Having gone and promised pictures here they are but it seems that the lighting is the onlything functioning, Having replaced the 2 amp fuse today that was blown, I come to find that the solenoid subsystem is non responsive (not to mention the bad power switch that was installed had to wiggle the dickens out of it to get it to power on today.)

I'm getting 20 Volts DC from the poet that goes to the relay and solenoid systemDSCF0152.jpgDSCF0153.jpg is this the proper voltage supposed to come out of this end or should it be 10? or even 24?

all of the micro switches seem to work (there's some behind the play field I can not access to test.)DSCF0143.jpgDSCF0147.jpgDSCF0149.jpgDSCF0150.jpgDSCF0151.jpg

is there something else I should check ?

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

insted of testing the out put and the female plug check it and the other end where the wires are soldered to the block... that way you know power is pasing threw that plug and every thing else is soldered..

as for checking the switches us something like a wire to reach in and pushe them down.. coat hanger or dental pic.. something of the likes...

power output will flux a bit depending on your transformer.. the out put need to be something at least 22 to 26 or so volts.. 20 or less may not be enough to operate them...

this is the style of transformer i have used on over a dozen machines..

Lot of 2 Shielded Transformers 25 2 Volts Ct 450 MA 25 2VCT 45 Amps 273 1366 | eBay

and the center tap will provide power for your bulbs

win win

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Phulkrum View Post
    I'm getting 20 Volts DC from the poet that goes to the relay and solenoid system
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    power output will flux a bit depending on your transformer.. the out put need to be something at least 22 to 26 or so volts.. 20 or less may not be enough to operate them...
    Hold on, sports fans. Phulkrum is talking DC and Mopar is talking transformers. Might better be sure of what's being measured and where it's being measured from.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    Hold on, sports fans. Phulkrum is talking DC and Mopar is talking transformers. Might better be sure of what's being measured and where it's being measured from.
    yes correct... my transformer only works if the diodes are in place and working to convert ac power to dc.. If no diodes then you need a dc transformer from something like a PC.. but with all this said the machine is pictured with a transformer allready installed so i made an assumption it may be under-powered...

imho

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My guess is the control relay is bad. I don't know of a direct replacement.

It is not the easiest thing but one can remove each solenoid and test it with a 24V 2A DC power supply. One could also plug this same DC power supply into the machine in lieu of the transformer. DC current will go through the diode bridge rectifier.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I installed the recommended transformer. And lo and be hold. 6 v dc on the out put. I checked power going to the bridge rectifier and input is 27 volts ac. Checked the output on the board 1.5 volts so I de soldered the wires to check the diodes and they pass the one way current check. Why would I get such a power drop if the diodes pass ? This was with the solenoids not plugged in. Anyone have pictures of the board so I can cross check the wire points. ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    yes correct... my transformer only works if the diodes are in place and working to convert ac power to dc.. If no diodes then you need a dc transformer from something like a PC.. but with all this said the machine is pictured with a transformer allready installed so i made an assumption it may be under-powered...

imho
    Terminology breakdown. If it puts out DC, it's not a transformer, it's a power supply. A transformer is an AC only device. This becomes important in this situation because the voltage changes when you rectify AC. If you rectify and filter 24VAC, you get 24 X 1.4 or about 34VDC (something to do with root-mean-square). So if a Powerflash requires a 24VAC transformer, then a 24VDC power supply may not be enough to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Phulkrum View Post
    I installed the recommended transformer. And lo and be hold. 6 v dc on the out put. I checked power going to the bridge rectifier and input is 27 volts ac. Checked the output on the board 1.5 volts so I de soldered the wires to check the diodes and they pass the one way current check. Why would I get such a power drop if the diodes pass ? This was with the solenoids not plugged in. Anyone have pictures of the board so I can cross check the wire points. ?
    If you're putting 27VAC into the diodes (rectifiers) and only getting 1.5 volts out, you have 1 of 2 things going on. You have high resistance in the power supply circuit somewhere, or you have a massive load drawing the power supply down. My guess is the first, otherwise something somewhere would be getting extremely hot.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Everything seems good until it hits the board 27v in then it hits the diode black hole and comes out 1.6 - 6.6 volts. I even pulled all connections except for input. And get the same result. Inspection of the board doesn't reveal any burned / cut / lifted traces

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The power switch modification is exactly the way mine was when I got it. I wonder if whoever brought some of these into the US did this modification before retailing them. I think I remember finding evidence on my machine that it came from Pachinko Palace.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Earlier in your post, I thought you were getting 20.75 V DC out of the solenoid connector? At that same connector you are getting 6.6V DC now?

I have successfully used a 24V DC power supply to power up the solenoid layer of both styles of the Power Flash (and a UFO)

PT Member Rival has also used a 24V DC power supply for a Power Flash and a CircuiT.

I don't know the typical life span of diodes.

My suggestion is for you to take a 24V, 2A, DC power supply, use alligator clips to attach it to the male plug on your machine's solenoid layer, and see if it works. An inline fuse is always a good idea, try 1A, then 2A - if 1A blows.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well inspecting the picture revealed a burned board. That's got to be the issue. Anyone have one spare? Or how do u wire this for straight dc ?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is the thread for my last Power Flash. It was missing the entire power terminal box.

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...underbird.html

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok. Wound up cleaning up excess soldier from the board. And was able to find the bad diode. I think it's possible to salvage the board with some bridge work I'll keep you posted.

26. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast