Thread: Should I pick this up?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Should I pick this up?

Hi all, I just found out about Pachinko very recently, and although admitted I really would like a Pinball machine, that is way out of my budget (I am young) and I stumbled upon Pachinko so I figured it would be a neat project, and then I found a machine of Craigslist for $33. I was already surprised by the price different from the average Pachinko machine to a Pinball machine which is obviously more expensive, however I was surprised already when I found one on the internet for around $70. Obviously this is a fixer-upper but I am curious if you guys think it is worth picking up (it is relatively close to my house) and if it is worth the $33. I'm not sure if I could talk him down any as that seems like a fair price just in general but please tell me what you think, I'm extremely new to everything, and I figured if I picked up a machine, fixed it up, and then did other things that would be the best way.

Here are some pictures, the power cord he said was snipped by somebody (Any idea on voltages?) and it comes with balls:

http://images.craigslist.org/00m0m_e...7z_600x450.jpg
    http://images.craigslist.org/01212_f...gO_600x450.jpg
    http://images.craigslist.org/00s0s_f...Zl_600x450.jpg
    http://images.craigslist.org/00Z0Z_9...Zq_600x450.jpg
    http://images.craigslist.org/00X0X_b...xi_600x450.jpg
    http://images.craigslist.org/00a0a_b...ii_600x450.jpg

I've identified this as a 1976 model, if I am correct. The ad says he is un-sure if it works. What is something like worst case scenario here if something major would be broken, would that be electrical or physical? I'm not sure how electronic based these machines are and I apologize for my lack of knowledge however since this is at the price it is I figured I might as well ask about it rather than end up paying a lot of money for a different machine that I may not enjoy, I'm definitely looking forward to exploring the insides and possibly restoring it. Thank you, all!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Should I pick this up?

im not sure if the pictured machine is 70 or 33???

at 70 i would take a pass on it.. the chrome is showing signs of rust that may not polish out.. chrome is one of thouse things that will kille the look and the restoration cost of a machine..

at 33 its worth it.. looks like all the important parts are there.. im sure with some time you can get it up and runining again.. dont worrie about the poer coard being cut.. they only need a 9 volt to opperate the lights.. (the problem could be that someone actualy tryed to plug it in and burn the wires up.. but even then its not hard to rewire a model "B" machine like that from scratch)

good luck and

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It is purely mechanical, as far as function. the electrical simply turns on a "low ball" light, and lights a lamp momentarily for a jackpot. If it has electrical problems, you can play it forever without power...or rewire it. They are simple wiring systems, 10 volts DC. Everyone says they don't know if it works or not. I have rarely bought one that didn't work after clearing a ball jam. The worst thing I see about the machine in the pics, is the chrome. Other than that, it looks complete. For $30 it would be a good machine to see if you like them or not. At $30, if you don't like it you could clean it up, and likely dell it for your money back.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am really new here myself. You will find a ton of information and a very helpful cast of characters willing to help here. The cord is likely snipped because someone was using a lamp cord to power the machine from a large lantern battery or something along those lines. Don't sweat the wiring. There is a lot of cleaning and rust on that machine. 30 bucks doesn't seem out of line to me, but you can probably get it for 20 or 25 depending on how long it has been listed. A $30 investment to see if you like a new hobby doesn't seem unreasonable. At the end of the day it is really about what the machine is worth to you.

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Totally off-topic, but I am amazed that only now has someone used the moniker "Otaku".
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !