Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So after several years, I finally purchased another machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default So after several years, I finally purchased another machine

I've considered my collection (actually my wife has considered my collection) maxed out for a few years. Between pachinkos and pachislos, I'm at over thirty machines. But I've kept my eye out for a select few. I'm a bit odd in that I love the older pachislos rather than the whiz-bang ones produced today.

So one of my sought out machines appeared on CL the other day. I really don't check CL often, but I did the day before yesterday and there it was. A Super PlanetT. Two reasons I have wanted this machine: It has a traditional bell/buzzer similar to those found in pachinkos of the era, and I own a Neo PlanetT which does something really awesome, but so rarely that I've only encountered it once; it plays the vintage sounds from the Super PlanetT and superimposes (on Elvision) the older reel symbols during a big bonus. The original PlanetT produced in 85 is probably so rare, I'll never find it, but I have on occasion come across the Super PlanetT on eBay.

The machine was in the East Bay Area, about a three hour drive for me. A little too far. So I sent the seller a quick email expressing my interest and if he didn't sell it right away, I would be willing to throw him a few extra bucks if he happened to be traveling through my neighborhood.

Well, it worked. And was likely a mistake. Lucky me, I was having a rather brutal root canal the next day and was still in the endodontist's chair when I received a text. To my defense, I was still altered from sedation. I stepped out into the lobby to wait for my wife and looked at the phone to discover the seller was nearby with the machine. A small panic set in. Cr@p! A machine I'm looking for, in the area for a short amount of time, and I am with my wife who no longer supports my addiction! Fortunately, he was in a town in which my sister lived, so I sent her a quick text. She agreed to have the seller come to her house and drop it off and pay for the machine. (Damn, I'm sneaky)

So, I bought a machine, sight unseen, for $50 more than the asking price. Big mistake. I picked it up yesterday and my brother in law said the seller was all smiles. It doesn't show in the picture, but the machine is splattered in paint. Also, the chrome is pitted all over and dented in several spots. The belly glass and reel glass are scratched as if someone used a scouring pad on it, and the whole machine inside and out are covered in grime. To the seller's credit, his price was reasonable (before my self-imposed increase) considering what others are trying to sell these things for, he indicated there was no lock, and he stated that the machine functioned. All are true. Considering the machine is at least twenty years old, I should not have been surprised at the condition. The good news is, it works! I have a collection of parts and tools that may help restore this thing to near new, but I wasn't really expecting it to be this bad. I'll continue this thread with some before/after pics in the future.

Below is the pic from the CL ad I answered. Looks good, right? The other is a link to a YouTube video of this machine being played. Check out the bonus round and how the player adds a credit after a single reel stop and get's paid out on each individual 'jac'. I have never seen that before and I have no idea if some of my other older machines will pay out this way. Very cool and I can't wait to try it out.

image.jpg

Super Planet T pachislo slot machine ƒ‘ƒ‚ƒ* ‚ƒƒ‘ƒƒ—ƒƒƒƒƒˆ - YouTube
    A Hardy har har...

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: So after several years, I finally purchased another machine

I've added a few before pics. I'm a little disappointed. The machine doesn't actually have a bell inside like I thought it would. maybe it's been removed or maybe it's just in code and part of the sound produced electronically. I was fairly certain it was mechanical.

The good news is the paint flakes off and after a good polish, some sanding painting and cleaning the exterior will look a whole lot better. The reels don't look great but I can give them a little shine. The hopper is very odd, and the handful of tokens I got were nothing unique. I pulled out the more unusual ones for a photo. They'll have to be run through a tumbler.

Before I mess with the machine much, I'll need to replace the cord which has been chewed through by a rodent.

Some of the odd things I've found are the unusual hopper and some bulb-type devices that I am assuming are some kind of flasher (under the reel window on the inside of the door). Replacing just the lock will only be cosmetic as the door side of the latch is also gone.

If anyone else has, or has had this machine, let me know if I am wrong about the mechanical bell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Hardy har har...

4. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WOW! That is an unusual hopper! But at least it is "SUPER TECHNOLOGY"! I understand your love of older pachislo's. My favorite (of ones I have actually owned), is LUCKY CHERRY.002.jpg I have had newer ones, but have sold or traded them all. Newest was Spiderman 2 single ball spiderman 047.jpg I was disappointed with it...but broke even when i sold it. I also had a DAYAMOTO EXTREME million god 002.jpg I wasn't impressed with the quality of this one...but it was "flashier" than LUCKY CHERRY. And finally million god 021.jpg MILLION GOD. Can't say more than already said! Either you love it...or you hate it! That being said...I traded it for a pachinko.Comicgo 004.jpg I expect you will make it "good as new" and will be very happy with it!
    Last edited by pachiwall; 09-11-2014 at 08:25 PM.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sell half of them and get some pinball machines...
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Angry Re: So after several years, I finally purchased another machine

It just so happens there is a Super Planet T on eBay at the moment. An interior shot shows the bell to the right of the reels. Either mine has been removed, or I have a model without one. Bummer.
    A Hardy har har...

9. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Any screw holes or empty circuit board sockets? Or wiring to nowhere?
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes and no. Some screwholes close together just above the transformer but no real indication on the cabinet that anything every hung there. i would think I'd see a faded spot or rust or something. Two sockets are located on the reel shelf. Again, no signs of wear.
    A Hardy har har...

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool Re: So after several years, I finally purchased another machine

Well, I've completely disassembled and then reassembled the door, carefully cleaning and polishing as I went. Simichrome is an awesome product that works well on even the plastic chromed parts. I removed the payout, reel, and belly glass and after removing all the nicotine stains, polished them well with Meguiars PlastX. There were some heavy scratches in the payout glass and I remember reading in the forum that a propane torch passed quickly back and forth over acrylic will make them disappear. It didn't work for me. I noticed some slight surface bubbling and also some warpage, so I put the torch down and rectified the warp, and then polished out the bubbles. I had tried hard to keep the heat at a distance and pass it very quickly, but in the future, I'll stick to plastic polish.

Planett.jpg

One frustration with the machine were the stop buttons. Some of them would take a considerable amount of jamming to get them to trip and stop the reels. The problem was intermittent, but seemed to occur at inopportune times. I searched my extras but had nothing that fit. Finally, I took them out one-by-one and found they were quite easy to fix.

Button.jpg

The button had a long post extending through the case and it was fixed in place with a Jesus clip at the rear. (I have no idea if that's a common term, it's just what I exclaim as I hear them shoot across the room while I am attempting to remove them). Inside are two springs, the larger returns the button to its off position, the smaller is for the contact to complete the circuit. A little buffing with some files rectified my problem. The hardest part was finding the Jesus clips in the carpet.

JesusClip.jpgcleancontacts.jpg

The machine itself is silent. It plays no sounds when receiving a payout. During a bonus Christmas music (yes) is played, and after a jac-in, a repetitive alarm sounds. What's missing is the bell. I have found several 24 volt 4" bells on eBay but have no idea if these would function. I'm wondering if any members may have in their spare parts an electric bell.

This machine is the first pachislo I have encountered without a "replay."

More to come!
    A Hardy har har...

14. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default So after several years, I finally purchased another machine

Hey Meathead,
    This machine popped up on my local CL about 30 minutes ago, is this the original model?
    Planet T?
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/ele/4715718313.html

Here are the pics from the ad
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413389521.856659.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413389530.723258.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413389541.770395.jpg

If it turns out to be one you want
    I'll try to assist you in acquiring it

Edit:
    Just did a little research and it doesn't look to be the '85 model ( but you would know better than me)
    Last edited by alphaminor; 10-15-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to alphaminor

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alphaminor View Post
    Hey Meathead,
    This machine popped up on my local CL about 30 minutes ago, is this the original model?
    Planet T?
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/ele/4715718313.html

Here are the pics from the ad
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413389521.856659.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413389530.723258.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413389541.770395.jpg

If it turns out to be one you want
    I'll try to assist you in acquiring it

Edit:
    Just did a little research and it doesn't look to be the '85 model ( but you would know better than me)
    i dont think that one is old enough.. Meathead seems to like the antique ones with the silver buttons..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That one came out just after the Neo Planet T. I think they're essentially the same short of the exteriors. The Neo Planet T is a great machine.

Wow, a buck. I wouldn't pass that up!
    A Hardy har har...

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Having a mostly silent machine is kind of nice but I decided to take a risk. I have no idea if this will work but I found a 4" bell made for an IGT slot machine on eBay. It is 24 volts DC. I bought it and am hoping I can identify the circuit I can connect the bell to. I'll let you know how it goes.
    A Hardy har har...

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Found a good interior shot (what it's supposed to look like clean ). I see a bell! Looks like it might plug into the left connector. Might throw a meter on that connector and play it a bit and see what you get. At minimum, hook a 24v light to it and see what it does

superplanett-red-02.jpg

Got that from here, same as yours, they make a red, blue and white (yours).

Some guys blog about restoring one, has a pic of the bell

Some earlier Planet T's with a similar bell:
    http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u71641101
    http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u71641405

Super Planet T :
    http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d160776849
    http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k176262554

really nice bell shot
    http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f144880421

Found a way to search closed Yahoo Japan auctions, usually pretty good pics of interiors:

This search is for Super Planet T
    http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.c...cat=0&slider=0

Close up shot, not sure what that other thing is, a clicker or buzzer?
    Super Planet T Bell.jpg
    Last edited by compirate; 12-02-2014 at 08:30 AM.

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

24. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to compirate

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well i spoted this on craigslist..

how do ya feel about Halloween???

last one pictured

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/vgm/4786256761.html

or this one??

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/4782455779.html
    Last edited by Moparformances; 12-02-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Compirate, nice finds! That's going to drive me crazy trying to find out what that other mechanism is mounted under the bell. My machine restored very nicely. I'd love to get it back to original. I can't imagine what that part is, or if it's important for the operation of the bell. Those pics do confirm the bell connects to the left outlet.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those original PlanetT's. I can't imagine finding one here in the States, though. The Super PlanetT has a unique method for paying out on a Jac-in, I've never seen it before, but I'll bet it was common on the older machines.

Mopar, that Halloween one is very cool, never seen it before.some of those other machines look cool as well. The guy is way too high on price though. I thought I was keeping my eyes open on CL but I missed those.
    A Hardy har har...

28. The following user says "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just realized why I'm missing so much on CL. I'm using an app on my iPad. It clearly filters my search terms instead of expands on them. In other words, a search for "pachinko" brings up different results than "pachinkos." Likewise, on CL when I am using my browser, I will generally punch in the name of the town i live in and I'll get about 20 to 30 results of things being sold locally. That doesn't work on the app; I never get a result with a similar search on the app.

So here's what I found just north of Santa Rosa, http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tag/4783822924.html. CL Ad.jpg

It's a Yamasa of identical era. I don't see a bell inside, but I do see that same odd mechanism. Since my machine operates correctly without it, I'm going to guess it is not vital.

If I lived a little closer, I'd pick this one up. It's clearly missing the lenses for the lights on top of the door, but otherwise looks mostly intact. It might come with tokens, it might be repairable, but for the parts alone, if the seller doesn't come down in price, it might still be worth it considering there are so many Yamasas out there that are very similar, and the spare parts it provides would be handy.
    A Hardy har har...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You could contact them and see if they know what it does, my guess is just a clicker, nothing to do with the bell

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oops.

My bell arrived in the mail last week and tonight I wired it in with some alligator clips just to test it. I payed no attention to black or red wiring, thinking it was not important. I placed the bell on a table away from the machine and then started it up. I played about six spins before a payout occurred. When it did, the bell rang, kind of. It was actually more of a vibration than a ring. And after it was over, the machine blacked out. Nada. I may as well have unplugged it. No lights, no noise, nothing. I'm really hoping it was a simple fuse, but I'll have to check it tomorrow.

Thoughts? Anyone a little more electrically inclined than me that can tell me how to check the kind of voltage that goes to the bell? Was I wrong in thinking polarity didn't matter in this case? My impression was that the bell required more voltage (24v) than the circuit delivered, but I'm not sure if that can blow a fuse.

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope I didn't do any permanent damage.
    A Hardy har har...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If it comes back to life, trace that connector back to whatever board it's connected to and see where it goes. May not be a voltage issue as much as a current issue.
    Last edited by compirate; 12-10-2014 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh lucky me!! It was the 10 amp fuse on the power supply that popped. I replaced it today and my machine is back up and running.

Question: I've obviously bought the wrong bell. I assumed 24 volts would function just fine, but I was mistaken. So how do I find out if amp or volts are the issue? I have to admit I really suck at electrical. I have a multimeter but don't know how to use it.
    A Hardy har har...

34. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast