Thread: Roto mat joker!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Roto mat joker!

Sifting through "slot machine" on Craigslist the other day...and ran across a Roto Mat Joker machine, only 20 miles from me for $75. DSCF8844.JPG Exterior has normal wear, especially around the coin slot.DSCF8845.JPGDSCF8846.JPG Of course all instructions are in German! From what I have seen from YouTube videos (most of them also German) the drums all start as soon as a coin...in this case 10 pfenningDSCF8865.JPGDSCF8870.JPG Haven't tested yet but the left drum stops first. if you don't like what it stops on, the button to the left starts it again. The right drum stops next, and the center drum stops last. the other 2 buttons are stop buttons...if you don't press them it will stop on its own. I have not plugged it in yet, as it is 220 volts with a plug (that I forgot to take a pic of) that has 2 round pins on. I have an extension cord for my 220 volt air compressor that plugs into my dryer outlet, and has an outlet on the end with a vertical and a horizontal slots in it...something like this I- ...not really but that is the best I can do with a computer keyboard. I think I will go to the hardware store and get a plug that fits the extension cord, and make a cord for testing purposes. I am quite sure I wont find an outlet that matches the German cord, unless I search the internet. The cord is supposed to be wired into this outlet inside the back of the cabinet.DSCF8850.JPG the Bakelite housing is broken...but that shouldn't be too difficult to fix. The white wire is another plug with round pins on it. I thought that it was so that when the cabinet was mounted to the wall...the front could be unplugged and the hinges would separate so that the mechanism could be taken to a work bench. A closer look at the hinge pins suggest that is not true. Maybe it is a plug so that you could disconnect power to service it if the power cord went through the wall. here is the inside!DSCF8847.JPG DSCF8853.JPG there is no paycard...so I don't really know what a winning combination is. Looks like if you line up 3 of a kind (top middle and bottom, on 2 pay lines) you win the denomination shown...with the JOKER being the "wild card".DSCF8854.JPG

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Roto mat joker!

Looks like the fuse holder is bent up a bit.DSCF8848.JPG The wire coming off of it going up goes to a push button switch recessed in the top. I expect this is the power button. DSCF8851.JPG Coin acceptor...didn't realise it was broken. But I found these pieces in the bottom when I got home. DSCF8857.JPG Since the only parts that are cast aluminum is the coin mechanism...that is where I started looking. And found it. DSCF8872.JPG Holding it near where it goes. if a coin is inserted now...it will fall to the side. This part, when placed here DSCF8871.JPG makes the channel to guide the coin to the coin tube. there are screw holes, so it was disassembled as opposed to breaking off. The seller never mentioned it, nor did he say that he put any coins into it. He said that a friend in the Army brought it back from germany years ago. He said he once hooked it up to power (though he didn't say how) and the reels spun, he didn't know if it would pay out. Of course you need to insert a coin to make the reels spin...unless you trip the right switch with your finger. At 220 volts...I don't see THAT MANY people willing to stick their finger into it! He may not have known...he never said it did work...he implied that he thinks it works. I am not mad...if the reels spin, and it pays out...it looks like the coin mechanism can be fixed. It came with 282 10 pfenning coins.DSCF8860.JPG Probably enough to fill the coin tube.DSCF8852.JPG I hear they can be run on nickels. I have not measured yet...but since I have the correct coinage to operate it, I won't even bother. The correct coinage is better anyhow...AND I don't have to buy them on eBay like I did for Brains Beer! Has a fan attached to a motor. DSCF8856.JPG Don't look like it would move much air without a fan shroud. It is attached to this column of switches and sprocketed wheels.DSCF8858.JPG I am sure this has something to do with payout!

4. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And finally...the drums are spun by friction by these rubber wheels.DSCF8855.JPG One of them have masking tape wrapped around it. I have to guess that it was slipping, and this was an attempt to make it work better. I won't know until i go to the hardware store and get a plug and some wire to build a cord for it. I don't want to cut the original cord, as i might want to put it back on someday.

6. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Fixed the broken outlet inside the cabinet.DSCF8877.JPG Plastic from a CD case.DSCF8883.JPG Tacked it in place with some epoxy...and soften plastic with a heat gun to bake the bend.DSCF8888.JPG More filling and sanding! the coin mechanism is proving to be a problem. Broken in a couple of places.DSCF8896.JPG I'm still studying this thing for solutions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Working on broken coin mechanism. Appears to be fixable. Disassembled it, removed 5 coins stuck inside, and cleaned the oxidation off and polished all areas where coins slide. most of the broken parts are held on firmly with 3mm screws. None at LOWES or HOME DEPOT, but a small mom & pop hardware store had them! The top broken piece will be epoxied in place after the coin mechanism is proven to work. DSCF8915.JPG The finger that is over the front tube has been bent. The lower part should go in the hole is the side and pushes the top half to block the coin from entering, holding it in this position. The next coin rides over the top and rolls off of it into a slot in the rear tube into a cash box that is missing.DSCF8916.JPG The coin is hung up because the tube is not properly aligned. I used this to take the pic, so that my description makes sense. The socket on the inside has a fuseholder in it, however an automotive fuse is too fat to fit in it.DSCF8918.JPGSomeone had put a piece of wire in it to make contact. The fuseholder on top of the transformer was shorter than the fuses I had, so I wrapped it with foil and wedged it in place.DSCF8917.JPG Not the smartest thing to do...but only temporary, to see if it works. Added a 220v plug.DSCF8901.JPG Here is my air compressor extension cord.DSCF8914.JPG Plugged it into the dryer outlet and prepared to quickly unplug it! It lit up the glass, then I pressed the switch on the coin mechanism to start it.Just kidding! It made a buzzing noise, and the motor was trying to spin. I twisted the plastic fan on the motor shaft and the motor spun...but the drums wasn't. Seems the rubber wheels that spin them were slipping.DSCF8855.JPG I could see the lights for the buttons were lighting in sequence as they should. So it seems that electrically it is doing what it should...after I remove and clean and oil the motor. Payout was not tested because the reels were not spinning and no winning combinations were lined up. Plus, I wasn't going to put my hand inside to try to line them up, it is 220 volts, and I am not ready to try that yet. I also didn't want to leave it plugged in too long without fuse protection. So I unplugged it and carried it upstairs to my workbench. I need to get a step up transformer. I don't want to carry it downstairs to the laundry room every time I want to test it! the plug on the inside IS for removing the front of the box from the rear...it does lift off the hinges.DSCF8923.JPG Back removed. It don't make it much lighter...the back is empty except for the cord and outlet...and some hardware for the missing cashbox. It does make it easier to carry because of more places to get a grip. Plus it saves space on my workbench.

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The whole mechanism is held in by 5 thumbscrews.DSCF8919.JPGDSCF8920.JPGDSCF8921.JPGDSCF8922.JPG Four wires had to be unscrewed from terminal blocks. Two for the power switch on top, and two for the switch on the coin acceptor...the last two have been replaced with what appears to be lamp cord. Then it just pulls out.DSCF8924.JPG The panel is painted glass and in very good condition. It has some "water stains"...I suspect they are actually mouse piss. There was mouse turds inside, and some oxidation on aluminum shelves that were probably puddles of pee. DSCF8925.JPGDSCF8926.JPGit is missing 2 bulbs on the front. i haven't checked what voltage yet.

12. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Paid a visit to GOOGLE TRANSLATE.DSCF8907.JPG "RETURNABLE BUTTON' DSCF8902.JPG "GAME DURATION 15 SECONDS
    PERSONS UNDER 18 YEARS
    IS PLAYING ON THIS EQUIPMENT PROHIBITED" DSCF8906.JPG "THROW 10 Pfennig PIECE
    THIS GAME HAS A UNIT MUNZVORLAGE
    (FORWARD THROW) UP TO 10 COINS (= GAMES)
    UNIT UNDER PRESSURE ON THE JERK GABE BUTTON BACK" DSCF8909.JPG "ROLLER
    MAY AT THE FLASHING BUTTON
    AGAIN STARTED" DSCF8910.JPGDSCF8911.JPG "ROLLER
    MAY AT THE FLASHING
    BE STOPPED BUTTON" DSCF8912.JPG "PROFIT PLAN: SEEMS TO ARREST, THE ROLLING IN THE
    WINDOWS ON THE SAME AMOUNT 5 2X AND 3X OR JOKER ON GELICHER AMOUNT, SO TO GET THIS FOR PAYMENT.
    AT DOUBLE CHANCE AND JOKER IS THE HIGHER PAID
    JOKER ALONE = PRAMIE DM - 20"
    We all know GOOGLE TRANSLATE leaves MUCH to be desired...even though the translation is goofy, it was helpful!

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Removed the motor and cam tower for the switch bank.DSCF8931.JPG couldn't get enough clearance to get the motor only...so I had to remove it with the cam tower. fortunately, the motor was attached to a terminal block, so no wires needed to be unsoldered. The motor turns freely without resistance. The worm gears inside the gearbox turn freely as well.DSCF8935.JPG I didn't remove the worm gear shaft because I would have had to remove the cam on the end. It is pinned on, and it is plastic...I didn't want to risk breaking it. Can't find any voltage specs on the motor, so I won't test it off of the machine. Maybe I'll see something after I clean it. The worm gears are metal, the flat gears are plastic. Nothing appears to be stripped. All the cam wheels that activate switches are plastic.DSCF8937.JPG I am still looking for something that is binding or gummy, that would have kept the motor from starting on its own. I wondered if it was the 60 cycle US current (I believe everyone else is 50 cycles) that was the problem...but I have seen videos of other Rotomats and Rotomints that was working on US current. Here is the oxidation puddles that I think was mouse pee.DSCF8927.JPGDSCF8930.JPGDSCF8928.JPG If I get it working, looks like another analog machine.DSCF8933.JPG I haven't found any electronics at all.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was wondering, does it matter that you're getting 220VAC from two hots as opposed to a hot and a neutral? This would require a step up transformer. Thanks for posting all the pictures. I'm watching this thread with interest.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to mandoman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not sure. I was only in Germany for 30 days on REFORGER in the late '80s when I was in the ARMY. We were in the field all the time, and I never saw electricity. This is the plug that was on it.DSCF8938.JPG I didn't know any other way that 220v was wired. Now I'm going to have to research that!

20. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have been looking at step up transformers...but need to catch up with bills first. I shouldn't have spent this money...but this was the only Rotomat I've seen for sale, and I wanted it. I knew electricity would be a hurdle! Any idea what minimum wattage should be considered. I do eventually want to run this and a Sega (mostly mechanical) slot machine with it.DSCF8549.JPG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This post made me laugh a lot. Even the picture struck me as funny.

As for what size step up transformer you need, I'm not sure. Hopefully our European members will chime in with voltage information least.

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    ...and I never saw electricity. DSCF8938.JPG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
    This post made me laugh a lot. Even the picture struck me as funny.

As for what size step up transformer you need, I'm not sure. Hopefully our European members will chime in with voltage information least.
    I guess a plug in the arse is shocking!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Started to put the motor/switchbank/cam tower back on yesterday. The aluminum plate that it mounts to was just too dirty, so i cleaned it. Never Dull didn't cut it, and Purple Power didn't get it looking any better either, so I just rubbed a little metal polish on it. It polished up very shiny for the very small effort of the area I tested. It stands out as a shiny spot in the middle of a cruddy panel! So I decide to clean it with the polish...but not actually polish it to a high shine. DSCF8957.JPG The panel shined up remarkably well with only minimal effort! Makes me wonder if it was polished originally. Seems like it would cost more to buy a panel with such a smooth surface, if it wasn't going to be polished. Then again...it is made in Germany! They always have been quality minded. Of course I had to remove small brackets and switches to polish up to the edges and under them. That led to the filth on the top plate. DSCF8939.JPG The rusty screw on the relay needed a drop of PB Blaster to loosen. I didn't want to disassemble too much...I want to establish that it works before creating "new" problems! I removed the aluminum plate that the top electrical components are mounted to and slid it out.DSCF8947.JPG MORE MOUSE PEE! So of course I remove this shelf as well. The three shelves are cast aluminum, so I scrubbed the top one with hot water and an SOS pad. DSCF8949.JPG It turned out pretty good...but the oxidation left moderate pitting and stains.DSCF8950.JPGDSCF8951.JPG Of course it would have been senseless to try to polish this. Clean was the only requirement. Of course the mounting plate shined up pretty easy.DSCF8944.JPG It, of course had pitting as well.DSCF8945.JPG Removing the shelf was necessary to properly clean it, and gave access to the inside next to the reels. Actually I have access, just able to polish the area where it was attached easily. The inside part of the side panel where the reels are closest to, are unable to be reached without removing the reel. I decided to leave well enough alone! Just as I haven't removed the other 2 shelves to polish up to and behind them...or scrub them. They are filthy, and I want them clean. There is too much stuff attached to them for a quick scrub...I'll have to get to it later. Put the top back together.DSCF8963.JPG While cleaning things up, I noticed one of the leaves on the relay was out of place, and won't make contact when the relay is moved between open and closed. Not easy to take a pic of, so no pics, My next step is to disassemble the switch stack and reposition the leaf...clean and reassemble it. Then I will remove the cord and socket assembly from the back of the cabinet, so I can use it to connect the "guts" to the extension cord and test it outside of the cabinet. It is SO much easier to move it around without the cabinet! I still expect the reels to slip...but curious to see what happens with the switch fixed!

26. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hat's some serious work but it's looking really good.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to mandoman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bought a step up transformer to make troubleshooting easier.DSCF9004.JPGNow I don't have to carry it downstairs to the laundry room for every test! Had to wire nut the power switch to keep power on since the switch is mounted to the box.DSCF9005.JPG The coin acceptor is also mounted to the box, so I had to simulate a coin by using a jumper wire to close the circuit that is usually closed by the micro switch in the coin acceptor.DSCF9009.JPG This allows me to apply power and start the machine on my workbench...on the second floor in the front of the house, as opposed to on the first floor in the back of the house. This is a great motivation to working on it, because the entire assembly is so cumbersome. The guts removed from the box...modified to be tested outside the box, is lighter...but still a pain to move up and downstairs. I removed the cord and outlet from the box to make an extension cord, as the cord on the mechanism is short, as to reach the outlet mounted on the box. DSCF9006.JPG I did discover a bent leaf switch in a big relay on top.DSCF8969.JPG Disassembled and straightened it out. Can't tell what it did or didn't do, because the symptoms are pretty much the same...but it needed to be fixed. The first time I plugged it into the step up transformer, I thought the transformer didn't work, or wasn't enough watts (it is a 500 watt device), so I tested it on my dryer outlet. Discovered that 2 wires were left off of the motor!DSCF9008.JPG

30. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Summary of function...or lack thereof. When powered up...I use the switch on the transformer, the lights that arenot missing or burned out come on. They are 12 volt 3watt bulbs manufactured by OSRAM...they seem to make everything for our toys! When I short the 2 screws that the coin mech attaches to it makes a buzzing sound from what seems like the middle relay/solenoid,DSCF9011.JPG and the motor spins...sometimes needs encouragement. Not sure why, everything seems free and not binding. and I cleaned and lubricated the bushing at the end of the shaft.DSCF9007.JPG I think the buzzing sound is coming from the middle solenoid. I can't truly identify where it is coming from until I use a mechanics stethoscope and touch different things. There is one for each reel, DSCF9013.JPGand is to stop the reel by dropping a finger onto a disc with steps on it.DSCF9016.JPG I couldn't figure out why my thumb was in the picture, then I remembered that I had to hold the wiring harness out of the way.The reels still don't spin. This appears to be purely mechanical, as the wheel shaft that turns them is spinning. The wheels rub on a disc that sits on the wheels under the weight of the reels.DSCF9010.JPG The wheels and discs seem to be hard plastic, and are slipping. Maybe at one time one or the other was a softer rubber, and hardened over the years. My plan is to clean them thoroughly...probably with acetone, and test. Then when that probably don't work, try making a sheet rubber disc and use rubber cement to attach it between the disc and wheel. This should add needed friction, plus put some space between the disc and wheel. Won't actually increase the downward force on the wheel (that would require adding weight to the reels), but will eliminate the possibility of the reels being at their max downward travel and not contacting the wheels with enough force. I haven't tested the start/stop buttons yet, as it will be easier to tell anything once the reels are spinning. I also don't know if it pays out properly, or at all...because the reels don't spin, therefore don't stop on winning combinations. That's about all I have at this point. Hopefully I will be tinkering with it more, now that I have an easier way of powering it. Since I was too lazy to carry it up and downstairs, I pretty much did nothing but clean and polish.DSCF8978.JPG I'm sure the Heinekin didn't help matters!The polish wasn't necessary, nor had I planned to polish. Cleaning was necessary, and ordinary cleaners didn't help much on the aluminum sides. So I tried metal polish which produced tremendous results with little effort. Problem was, you can only polish so close to a screw or bolt. You have to remove it and polish under the head to achieve acceptable results. Ditto with any brackets etc. So much removal was required...the reason I wasn't going to polish to begin with. But I had started and had to finish...still not done. Seems like putting the cart before the horse to polish when the machine still don't work!

32. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you might try to research rotomat vids on youtube and then email the authors for help.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

34. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good idea...I never thought of that!