Thread: What Would You Do?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What Would You Do?

back in April i sold two modern pachinko machines on ebay as "pick up only". i am in Virginia and the person who bought the two lived in Mass. somewhere. He paid via paypal and said he had to go to texas for family matters and would contact me in a week or two. he never contacted me back and i have sent him four or five emails since then. ...no response...nothing. today makes 4 months since he paid.

What would you do?

AG
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What Would You Do?

ask ebay for assistance. or check their feedeback to see if they have had any other recent activity. In theory, as they are paid for. they are no longer your goods,I guess you just have to wait and see if Ebay can advise
    Sorry I can't be much help
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Refund money and resell??

I agree with clam. Contact eBay and see what their position it. For all you know, the guy may have croaked.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hmm...good question.

I'd do what clam said and check what ebay has to say. If you can't find anything I think you should be fine relisting them. Maybe be a good idea to also refund him the money.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree. I would definitely contact eBay. Have you sent the emails so that you are notified when they are opened? It would give you an idea if he is ignoring you or not seeing them.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have to agree with re-list and refund. You should try to get your fees back from eBay but I think you will have a hard time since they have like a 60 day limit on claims.

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to DaveCapps

Thanks
    Thanks Received

its too late to get your fees refunded from Ebay or Paypal. you can't refund the paypal payment this late either.

you should be able to get the contact info with an address and/or phone number from Ebay.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Have you tried to call the buyer?

せぶん戦闘機 せぶん

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the advice. I have not tried to call. And at the present time i do not have $375 to refund him. One of the machines is the JAWS machine and the other is a CINDERELLA BOY. Both are cool games. If he has had some unfortunate fate would i still be required to refund anything?:-)
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hopefully it is not the case, but if something did happen to him. I believe legally the property is still no longer yours. If you have a phone number for him, I would definitely try to call. It could be a case of your emails going to spam or him simply not getting them for some other reason.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

over the years I have had a few items I sold on ebay returned, either unable to deliver, not at that address or refused.

buyers never asked for a refund and I had spent my time and money mailing the packages out

but, it was all small amounts, so I didn't bother with it
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Send a certified registered letter to the shipping address and retain a copy stating that you are attempting to make contact regarding said pachinko's and their pickup.
    use these records when dealing with Ebay and paypal...

it's way easier to motivate these entities when you have legal documentation proving your side of the story when trying to recover Fees . be sure to detail all the events in the letter and the copy.

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Phulkrum View Post
    Send a certified registered letter to the shipping address and retain a copy stating that you are attempting to make contact regarding said pachinko's and their pickup.
    use these records when dealing with Ebay and paypal...

it's way easier to motivate these entities when you have legal documentation proving your side of the story when trying to recover Fees . be sure to detail all the events in the letter and the copy.
    and if things get even nastier,
    you can use these as C.Y.A. materials in court should said purchaser decide to sue you in court if you re list the items ad sell them to another party.. be sure to follow your state requirements when placing in a Lien state (most are 45 - 60 days notice) because this is technically what you're doing when thinking about re-listing the items to sell to another party.

just some thoughts..

hope the person is alright and it all works out..

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Fever Hunter Super Dave Osbourne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would look at the terms of selling with eBay, and if there is nothing pertaining to this kind of pay and abandon, then look at your local state laws and if they apply (talk to storage guys, effectively you are an unpaid storage place now). In the future I would cover this in your terms of sale, and list that in your eBay listings (I did 15 years ago when I was selling on FleeceBay, and it worked 99.99% to get the rifraf away from me before the bid/bought, and covered my butt when they did). If an item is for shipping only, so be it and no exceptions. If you can do local pickup, then they have X days to get it, otherwise payment for storage is required on top, and limited for another Y days (30 maybe), or just don't allow it in the future (recommended, just pay, we'll ship it). Hope that helps, and good luck. In your situation, I would resolve it immediately by a full refund and learn from the situation.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm with Super Dave. Refund the money. If they complain, they will have a weak argument. Lord knows other sellers have done it to me, and they were supposed to ship the item.
    Sure, I dislike their practice, but at least I got my money back.
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !