Thread: My First Pachinko!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My First Pachinko!

Hi all. This is my first post here. I'm new to the world of Pachinko. I had never heard of them until recently. I saw one at a local auction and was just so curious about it that I put in a random bid and won (hope it wasn't too much)!

It says Ginza on it. I can't seem to find a year on it or one with a similar playing field either. It looks similar to the single shot one in the video here. Pics below. Any idea what year it might be?

I have no idea how it works. After watching that video. It appears that I'm missing some components. I'd really like to get this thing working. Any tips on locating my missing components? I don't even know the names of the parts to do a search. Any chance a parts manual exists for these?

Thanks for any tips you can offer. I look forward to getting it operational again!

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to ninjarobert

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My First Pachinko!

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

seeing them in person and just looking at a pic can sometimes be hard.. i dont see anything huge that is missing.. the cabinet front has a hunk of wood missing but im sure that will not effect game play..

please post close up pics of any problem areas and im sure we can help ya out..

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congratulations on your not-so-new toy. It looks like maybe a month or two newer than the relic I dragged home a while back. Tell me what year and then we'll both know. The only thing I see missing is balls. A couple few hundred should keep you busy for a while.
    "Knowledge is good." - Emil Faber

Fever Hunter Super Dave Osbourne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk, good luck with your game. Indeed balls help, I'm always pushing for 100s more than I have at any given time.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice looking pachinko machine from the '50s. Looks complete. Do you have any pachinko balls? These early single shot machines can be played with as little as 100 balls, of course more keeps you from refilling as often. Drop a couple in the top tray on the back to see if they roll down the channel on the left and fall out on the ground. If so, look for a small L shape lever with a spring on it at the track below the tray just after the U-turn.Ginza 005.jpg It should be down blocking the balls. Hard to tell in the picture, but looks like it is down, in the correct position. this is the ball dump lever.Ginza 006.jpg It will dump all the balls in the top tray down the track on the left side into a box...or on the floor! On mine, the wing nut loosens and allows the track to be extended for it to reach. I can't tell how your ball dump works from the pic. The track that the balls rest on where they stop against the ball dump lever holds 15 balls. This is a trap door like tray. During a jackpot cycle, it will tilt dropping 15 balls onto another tilting tray behind the top plastic cover. They will roll down the tin tracks and fill up the jackpot and be visible from the front. Behind the square plastic cover is a seesaw. It should be in the up position. Can't tell but yours looks like it is down. Seesaw upGinza 012.jpg Seesaw down278.jpg Same machine, parts removed for cleaning and polishing in the down pic. With ball dump closed and seesaw up, fill top tray with balls. Put a hand full in the front tray, then start feeding and flipping. every time a ball lands in a pocket you win 15 balls. Except the very first time...the jackpot has to be filled as mentioned before.
    Welcome to pachitalk~
    Last edited by pachiwall; 07-26-2014 at 01:13 PM.

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the welcome and the info!

Looks like the parts that I thought I was missing are for lighting. Appears that my unit doesn't have any lighting.

The machine came with some balls in a tray IMG_1349.jpg I had some time to try it out today. I loaded some balls in the top tray and manually triggered the jackpot/reloading lever. That part seems to work fine from what I can tell.

I played for a while. Strangely addicting. Reminds me of my favorite game from Price is Right-- Plinko. I'm amazed any of these survived. Sort of frustrating to watch the ball go towards a pocket and bounce away!

If I understand correctly, the jackpot should be triggered every time a ball goes in the pocket. I put 4 balls in a pocket without the jackpot going off. Then it randomly went off as a ball was going through the gutter (right term?). I noticed some balls stuck behind the square plastic IMG_1350.jpg I was able to clear some out by flicking the plastic and bending that little piece of metal out.

Played for a bit more, got a few more pockets without triggering the jackpot. Then I noticed some balls here (back) IMG_1351.jpg (front) IMG_1357.jpg . And there was a ball sitting here: IMG_1358.jpg Does that look normal? I thought there might be a jam or something, so I toggled this switch IMG_1359.jpg It barely moved. Should it? What's its purpose?

What's the gold pocket for? IMG_1355.jpg I got a ball in and was pretty excited about it, but nothing happened. I also got a ball to fall into that clear plastic window-- sounded like it was added to the jackpot. Is that right?

What's this bit in the top right corner for? IMG_1353.jpg

Lastly, I noticed a cool emblem on the front. IMG_1356.jpg Any idea what it means? I assume the 'g' stands for ginza. Is the rest of it the model name, i.e., Maluanis? What's the middle symbol with the dashed circle around it?

I'm also amazed the glass survived. The balls seem to hit the glass quite a bit. Is that normal?

Do you think it just needs some cleaning to get it to function smoothly? Thanks in advance. This thing is a blast. Can't wait to get it working right. Now, I just gotta convince my wife it's worth moving from a dark corner in the basement.

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ninjarobert

Thanks
    Thanks Received

keep in mind it is a gravity machine.. when a ball enters a jackpot pocket it still has to travel thew the back parts and trip the jackpot cycle then the payout occurs.. some times this time can be 2 or 3 seconds depending on the machine..

the balls that are stuck in the back
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjarobert View Post
    I noticed some balls stuck behind the square plastic I was able to clear some out by flicking the plastic and bending that little piece of metal out.
    the balls that are stuck in the back.. they are stuck for a reason.. ususaly due to lack of balls in the top hopper.. but some times dirty pivot points cause this..

the balls that are in the front view tube is a jackpot overflow there is usually a button or lever that is pushed by the player to send they balls one at a time to the jackpot for payout.. seems like some eary machine sent this winning ball back to the shooter to be reshot..

my advice would be.. load the back hopper with all but 5 or 6 balls then open the glass and drop a ball into a pocket and see if it pays out..

you will need to clear any balls that are stuck in the jackpot cycle befoer this works.. hope this makes sense..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thumbs up Re: My First Pachinko!

In order to troubleshoot this thing, you will want to remove the glass. This will allow you to drop balls into pockets to check function. Speaking of pockets, they all do the same thing...each pocket pays 15 balls. When you watch from the back, you will see that they all lead to the same place...at the top of the seesaw. Back to the glass. If you haven't noticed yet, there is a spring loaded metal tab at the top that blocks the top of the glass. Pull it back and lock it in the notch. the glass slides up through a notch, a big suction cup helps. You want to clear the balls out from the back. Hard to see the seesaw area through the discolored plastic. Since it looks like balls are stuck back there, so I would remove the nails CAREFULLY to get the cover off. The old plastic will likely be brittle and break easily. It is not a necessary part and will function perfectly without it...but since it survived this long, you want to keep it. You can clean it with plastic polish before replacing it, and it will be see through again. I can't tell if the balls in the pic are counterweights in the seesaw, or stuck balls. It looks like the seesaw is down...incorrect position, and would explain why balls are in the "jackpot reserve chamber". Not an official name, I made it up. When the jackpot seesaw (behind the square cover that should be removed) is in the down position, balls are diverted into the small window in front. Since a pocket has been landed in, but the seesaw was not in a position to payout, the ball goes into the window to be payed out when the seesaw is reset. The sliding tab is part of what I call the elevator. After resetting the seesaw to the up position, the elevator lifts the balls from the jackpot reserve chamber to the front of the seesaw to trigger a jackpot that was already earned. Since so many jackpots were hit with the seesaw down, the balls went into the reserve chamber and probably exceeds its capacity...therefore making it difficult to slide. The nail in the pic does not look like it belongs there. It was probably added by someone because of the broken plastic, preventing balls from falling out when the elevator lifted them. The window at the top right is the low ball indicator. When the hopper is full, you can see the balls through the window. If you can't see any balls...refill the hopper. Everything looks good, nothing looks seriously broken, except the previously mentioned brittle plastic. Just looks like a BIG ball jam that needs to be cleared out, and seesaw reset. Then function tested. With reports back here and pics of course! As for clearing out the elevator shaft...since the plastic is broken, giving easy access, I would use a magnet on a stick to reach down and remove them. Or you could turn it upside down and gently shake them out. Less desirable method, as any other balls stuck where they don't belong would be jammed deeper where they don't belong. Not a big issue on these older machines...not many places for them to go. Looks like you have enough balls to test, and likely enough to play as well. May want some new ones, depending on how rusty they may be. Putting them in a tumbler with crushed walnut shells will clean up very light rust. Anything more than very light rust should be replaced. I wouldn't worry about that until you figure out if and how it works. I have 3 machines of this vintage. Two Ginza's 322.jpgGinza 001.jpg and a Comicgo Comicgo 004.jpg I can pull them out and study the jackpot cycle to help you identify any issues you come up with after you clear the ball jam. try not to bend any more metal to remove balls. If you have difficulties, post a pic...there is probably a way to get it out without damage.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 07-27-2014 at 03:05 PM.

15. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Seriously... thanks so much for the assistance. Nice machines! I didn't realize the glass was so easy to remove. I had fun playing it, but was a real time killer when trying to figure out what's what. I'll post an update soon (thank goodness for rainy Sundays )

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ninjarobert