Thread: New and completely oblivious

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New and completely oblivious

OK, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it sounded the closest to what I needed...

I just bought this because I'm an impulse buyer. I collect video games, and I saw this sitting in the store...I couldn't resist. It was $40. I have a small bar in my house, and I know if I can get this working my friends will LOVE it, so I'd like to do what I can. Problem is, I know almost nothing about these things.

When I bought it, I was told "everything works, except the ball doesn't shoot up high enough anymore".

Here is what I know - when I plug it in and turn it on, it lights up. When I open the front of the machine and drop a ball into where it says "start", it makes a lot of fun noises and the screen changes the cards that are being displayed. The balls then drop into area "A" on the back in this picture. When I wiggle the lever on area "B", they fall out of the bottom of the machine.

After carefully picking up all the metal balls off the floor, I loaded them into slot A in this picture. They sometimes didn't shoot up at all, sometimes 2 at once...but at any rate, they never quite made it all the way up (spot B), and would fall back down and land in spot C. Interestingly enough, I learned that this isn't the same as pinball, in that the launcher is completely electronic - simply turning the knob was enough, and I didn't have to actually "spring" the ball, the piston inside is triggered by the knob which is pretty neat.

I'm sorry to be such a noobie here...I'm really hoping I didn't just waste $40 and that I can get this thing running I really appreciate any help you guys can offer...I can take as many pictures and try as many things as need be. I tried to clean it up to the best of my ability, but I want to make sure it works before I put some hours in with a toothbrush to clean her out completely. I'm not great with soldering...I'm hoping it's just a spring that needs some tightening, but I doubt if that could be it. I'm happy to buy more balls, but I'm already $40 in on this, so I'd like to make sure it works before dropping much more into it.

Thank you in advance, you guys will really make my day if you can help me get this working!

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Oisterboy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: New and completely oblivious

Waving hello and welcome

Are you making good contact with the shooter, there is usually a metal grounding ring on them which you need to make a good contact with your hand, some machines require more hand contact than others.

Sorry I can't offer much in the way of trouble shooting, however we have a fantastic bunch of knowledgeable members who I'm sure will be able to assist

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New and completely oblivious

I believe so. I opened it up and watched it fire the ball, it's definitely doing what it should, just not as hard as it should. I messed around with it a bit more and I kinda understated how the various slots work, and I've stopped the balls from falling out of the machine.

My main problem now seems to be the piston just not hitting hard enough to get the ball completely around. I think I understand the rest.

Thank you for the welcome!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Seeing as this is a Heiwa, you might have a blue board on the back labeled as B1f, there is a pot on this that adjusts the shooter strength. More info to come later as I have jr at the moment. Oh, how many balls do you have, fill the back up with at least 200 when you test. But you've done the first steps right. Although when you drop a ball in the start pocket, as well as music, lights and video, the machine should dispense balls to the top front tray, (3 or 4 balls is normal) the lower tray is for overflow from the front tray and to catch those balls not shot hard enough.
    Ian #UKPachinko

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not sure if this is the problem, but as Angie said above...make sure you are making contact with the ground ring. I have a machine that was shooting inconsistently, and that was all it was. To be more specific (who could have guessed this???), there is a chromr ring around the shooter knob that you MUST make skin contact with. If not it can cause shooter problems. It is there to keep people from wedging objects, like coins, in the knob so they can play several machines at once. There should be 2 screws on the back of the machine directly behind the knob, often highlighted with yellow paint. one adjusts the sensitivity of the chrome ring, and the other adjusts the speed of the shooter...I think. I am pretty sure neither adjust the strength of the shooter. Strength is determined by how far the knob is turned. From my understanding, very early knob type shooters had a cable that was pulled somehow that adjusted strength. Later it is something electrical inside the knob assembly. I really know very little about modern machines, I prefer vintage machines which are strictly mechanical. There are fans of modern machines that have dealt with problems like this before, I'm sure they will be along soon to help. By the way, $40 sounds like a great price for that machine once you work the bugs out of the shooter. Hopefully touching the ground ring will be it!

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Strength, speed, it has something to do with the shooter anyway Some models like the Sankyos the shooter knob is connected to directly to the spring assembly and hammer, and some like my Heiwa's and Sanyo its done by varying the power to a solinoid or motor. Anyhow, give it a try

Heiwa トランプ物語SP

Trump Story SP

April 1999
    Ian #UKPachinko

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey! You guys called it. There were indeed 2 small knobs on the back - labeled "sensor" and "ball shooter control". I have "ball shooter control" at about half way, and when I cranked "sensor" all the way up, it worked! There still seems to be a sweet spot and a little bit of play in the knob that you twist to shoot the ball, but I figure I can chalk that up to one of the quirks of the machine. Thanks so much!

I'm having one or two other small issues, but I need to go to work. I will photograph and try my best to explain them tomorrow or tonight...I won't bother closing and opening a new thread, I'll just post in this one. Since I only have about 9 balls, I think I'll go ahead and order a bunch. The machine is definitely working now, I'm just having a little confusion getting them from the reward hopper to the tray where they fall into play (a wheel is stopping them, seems like I should have a button or something to control it) and the balls that make it into the "start" slot are getting trapped in the back. I don't expect y'all to understand what I mean by my description, I'll get some pictures later.

THANKS AGAIN ALL! I'm looking forward to my friends trying this out!

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Oisterboy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, he's been driving around the garden on the lawn mower driving over mole hills ��
    Ian #UKPachinko

17. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Yes, he's been driving around the garden on the lawn mower driving over mole hills ��
    Opps, that was meant to be an SMS to the wife

More balls is a must, The machine will refuse to payout if it knows the rear ball tank at the top is empty. Once full, it should payout balls to the front try.

Oh and yes

Welcome Aboard

Ian #UKPachinko

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

LOL I was wondering what that was supposed to mean, but it had me laughing haha. THANKS!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

glad to see your geting it sorted out... more pachinko balls are a must... it will hold 1000..

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    Hey! You guys called it. There were indeed 2 small knobs on the back - labeled "sensor" and "ball shooter control". I have "ball shooter control" at about half way, and when I cranked "sensor" all the way up, it worked! There still seems to be a sweet spot and a little bit of play in the knob that you twist to shoot the ball, but I figure I can chalk that up to one of the quirks of the machine. Thanks so much!
    Speaking of "sweet spot" once you get more pachinko balls, and you get a good feel for what is going on. You will find the sweet spot for firing balls for maximum effect. If you want to pause shooting, but do not want to release the knob, and lose the sweet spot...there should be a small button near the knob you can push with your thumb. This will pause shooting until it is released...resuming the sweet spot.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall