Thread: Sankyo Mini Mouth 'restored' and working...

Fever Hunter Super Dave Osbourne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sankyo Mini Mouth 'restored' and working...

Fun game, this one seems to be a lot harder to win than Carl's, Jeff's or the look-a-like of CardWII. I've wanted one for a while, since I first saw it demoed by Jeff in his video about the game's play which I viewed about two years ago.

Thoughts are powerful things, as I had 'forgotten' about it until I did a random national search for pachinko online a month or so ago. A farm-type auction in the middle of nowhere had one gone to gavel about two weeks prior. I figured it was sold, and long gone. However, I called and the game had not sold. It was scheduled to go to gavel the following week instead (they ran out of time prior). I mentioned I'd like to buy it outright, and would they hold it for a month until I could come into town and pick it up. They said no, and yes. Game had to go to gavel, so I placed a proxy of $25 and called back that weekend. Game was mine, and I could pay when I showed up (talk about nice folks). I finally picked the game up, some missing and broken parts with 150 or so brand new balls. Drove home all day thinking about the game and my good fortune and nice people experience. Tinkered with it immediately and the game played great. I have spent about seven hours going over a full front and back teardown and reassemble (except the nails, I got very lucky with a flawless cell). Next week when the heat application gold and silver arrives I'll redo some of the plastics/features.

If by chance you have the pieces missing or broken I've hilited in red (top to bottom: jackpot feeder tray empty detector, removable ball trough plate, jackpot dust cover, teeter dust cover), please PM with your pricing, availability and location. The dayglow green is desired as its original to this game. I'd like to complete this restoration and put this one into the pool for later digital/game modifications (aka, its a keeper). Thank you for taking the time to read about this game, and considering helping with its restoration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Super Dave Osbourne; 07-20-2014 at 07:47 PM.

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Super Dave Osbourne

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo Mini Mouth 'restored' and working...

Sorry the Sankyo parts machine I took apart is missing all those parts. Otherwise I would have offered. I know Cardwwi sells a repop track cover and another member sells a repop piece of the square plexiglass.

100 machines and counting...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave Osbourne View Post
    I got very lucky with a flawless cell
    Can someone confirm the cells on Sankyos are actually Formica, so they don't suffer water staining around the nails like other vintage machines? I recently received some mid 70's Sankyos, the nails were black they were so tarnished, but the background cells were only dirty and cleaned up to look almost new.

Nice machine Super.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to gooilers

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Most Sankyo cells are printed on formica. There are very few I have seen that were printed on paper.

Never try to pull the nails out on a formica background unless you intend to replace the background. I did that and little pieces chipped everywhere and it was a pain to color match the graphics to paint in the chips.

100 machines and counting...

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Fever Hunter Super Dave Osbourne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I didn't know the formica was the cell material, and great to know about avoiding pulling nails! And yes, the game is a pleasure to play and looks very nice. Can't wait to complete this restoration, its a keeper. I have played it for hours now and enjoy bending the pins and making it play and pay out differently.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Super Dave Osbourne