Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Checking in with our first Pachinko machine - Heiwa Bull

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Checking in with our first Pachinko machine - Heiwa Bull

I did set it up on the workbench, the "natural" lean is too strong, so I'll need to shim it for the cabinet.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sometimes the bases come loose and it causes that huge amount of lean. You want about 3 degrees backwards lean. Member Carlw says it should be 1 1/8" out of plumb at the top. ( I can't confirm that amount but it sounds right and I trust Carl. )

100 machines and counting...

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, turns out the natural lean isn't too strong. I played about half an hour with it on my bench, and no issues with the mechanics of it.

GEDC0081.jpgGEDC0082.jpg

A couple of fresh pictures. We're not completely cleaned yet, but definitely polishing up nice. The chrome isn't as nearly bad off as I'd expected really. I just used the wire wheel on my dremel tool to clean the nail heads on the playfield. Do note that my workbench is really meant for electronics repair work, not for mechanical work. Hence why it seems like the machine doesn't fit the bench very well.

I still need to make the arm for the replacement microswitch, fit it and test it to replace the iffy leaf switch.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update: I got the leaf switch working relatively reliably now, so the LED does turn on when the jackpot pays out.

I tried to use a microswitch with a lever, but it applied too much tension to the system and prevented the mechanics from cycling. So I pulled the leaf switch again, broke out the plastic more thoroughly around the solder points so I could get at it, resoldered my wires, then (blasphemy!) HOT GLUED the switch into the appropriate place instead of trying to add more holes to the backside.

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, got two sheets of replacement plexiglass, 3/16, from a local outfit called PlastiCare (Colorado Supplier of Cut Acrylic, Bar top Coating, Fiberglass supplies). Incredibly tight, I firmly believe we'll have to break the front pane to get it out now, but that front door panel is now SOLID. No more balls getting caught on the inner right spinner. YAY!

Also, 750 more balls have arrived. OMG HEAVY. We've gone from 6-7 payouts before empty to about 50 payouts.

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Fever Hunter Super Dave Osbourne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Its times like these when like gremlins more games are found in basements, attics and garage sales and brought home. You have all the makings of a great pachinko parent.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

microswitches come in varying activation threshold "weights". I encountered the same issue a few years ago and then ordered correct ones.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i use cherry microswitches. i think they were D42L?? someone here will set me straight. they only require gram weight pressure to activate.

AG
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Seems like you could epoxy a short length of 12 gauge bare copper ground wire to the arm of the switch to increase the leverage. Of course if the leaf switch now works, you can file this suggestion into the folder labeled "next time"

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, a little treat for you guys - I'm part of a webshow called TG256, and in our third episode, we cover the machine, as well as some strange variant played here in America.

TG256 - 003: Pachinko Pinball - YouTube

16. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool coverage, keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One minor tweak has been done, I adjusted some of the nails above the left tulip. I kept getting a ball stuck in the same place there. It would eventually get dislodged from play, but I bent the nails the balls would get caught on to give enough room for a ball to pass through.

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice to hear, may I suggest a ball tool (11 and 10 mm) for fine adjustments, a toothless smooth long needle nose pliers along with a small nail head tapping hammer. Various people adjust differently, I do it by bending instead of tapping, but many use tapping as effective as a bender. Maybe you can put together a video of your restoration and final adjustments, along with some commentary so noobies can see how fun and simple the learning process is with these simple but entertaining machines. Nothing better than a new hobbyist' experience to show how simple restoration and play can be.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good Day To All!

I'm certainly no expert on Pachinko, but I've a couple of suggestions for cleaning the rust off the chrome you may find useful to take some of the tedium out of cleaning.

One product, called Nevr-Dull works quite well on pitted & rusty chrome & even steel. The can has what looks like cotton wadding which one tears a piece off to use. It is available at auto parts stores & some hardware palaces. Then buff the surface to a shine. (I use it to remove wheel weight pitting on my truck's wheels. Not often enough...)

Another product, called Semi Chrome, is a paste. It works very well with the 4/0 steel wool others mentioned. (With wool, it's the one-two punch method.) Use a very small amount. It will shine up very well & takes rust off quite efficiently when used with the 0000 steel wool. Wendol is a brand name for a very similar product, but I do not know if it is still made. (My can is about 30 years old & still going strong)

Both are gentle enough to use on chrome plated plastic. When using either, wear gloves. They will deposit black oxidation on your hands.

Hope this helps!
    Paul

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to PJB

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    Good Day To All!

I'm certainly no expert on Pachinko, but I've a couple of suggestions for cleaning the rust off the chrome you may find useful to take some of the tedium out of cleaning.

One product, called Nevr-Dull works quite well on pitted & rusty chrome & even steel. The can has what looks like cotton wadding which one tears a piece off to use. It is available at auto parts stores & some hardware palaces. Then buff the surface to a shine. (I use it to remove wheel weight pitting on my truck's wheels. Not often enough...)

Another product, called Semi Chrome, is a paste. It works very well with the 4/0 steel wool others mentioned. (With wool, it's the one-two punch method.) Use a very small amount. It will shine up very well & takes rust off quite efficiently when used with the 0000 steel wool. Wendol is a brand name for a very similar product, but I do not know if it is still made. (My can is about 30 years old & still going strong)

Both are gentle enough to use on chrome plated plastic. When using either, wear gloves. They will deposit black oxidation on your hands.

Hope this helps!
    Paul
    Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Simichrome

EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, we're still having some trouble with it not "resetting" correctly after a payout, and having to manually pull the payout linkage on the far left down to finish the process. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to partially disassemble the back and clean up the pivots on the payout linkage.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by LynnInDenver View Post
    Yeah, we're still having some trouble with it not "resetting" correctly after a payout, and having to manually pull the payout linkage on the far left down to finish the process. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to partially disassemble the back and clean up the pivots on the payout linkage.
    good place to start
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well, to report back in, I can't really get that linkage apart enough... but it seems happiest right now actually on the workbench. I managed to play several hours this last week on it with no need to finish the reset with each payout. Definitely going to fit the eventual cabinet with adjustable feet. I know the floors around here aren't that level in spots, and that's probably having an effect on the mechanism.

Also, I might arrange to shoot some video of the machine in a documentation sense. I know CarlW has footage of a number of Heiwas very much like this one, but I do kind of want to do one walking one through how it pays out, what the pocket sequences are, how the inside mechanics work, and all of that.

Also, amused that Heiwa's pachinko line appears to have been called "Relaxation", in the "way of life" sense (how telling). Many of the Heiwas of this vintage have a little circular label in the upper left of the playfield, bearing the hiragana of the word "Kutsurogi".

Also, we went to Nan Desu Kan (Denver anime convention) late last month. They had a little "Pachinko hall" area set up in the video game area. For charity, pay $5, get a red Solo cup full of balls, play on a modern machine until your balls run out. $5 on Friday, I spent TWO HOURS, and that's only because we just decided to call it quits and turn the balls in. I was filling trays and trays, and the guys could barely keep up with the machine Evangelion 6. Saturday was a similar story, but only an hour on Ranma 1/2, and again we called it quits and turned in trays of balls. I plan on ordering a modern to accompany the vintage sometime by the end of the year, probably the Ranma one.

Yes, it's a sickness.

29. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to LynnInDenver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

With only 6 left in stock, better get on it soon. Great follow up and explaining your understanding the sickness. Enjoy it and/or get some professional help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast