Thread: My second vintage, third pachi... help identifying please?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My second vintage, third pachi... help identifying please?

Hi, all!

Been a while since I've been on here, but I just acquired my third Pach and my second vintage one. I was leaving to run an errand and I found this sadly neglected baby being thrown away (!) across the street from me. It's in need of some intense TLC, but I had to grab it.

I have one other vintage that I've had for a few years, a 1976 Sankyo Dog model. This is a Sankyo as well, and if I'm reading the date code correctly, the stamp states 1976 on this one as well.

I have found a Youtube video with this same machine as well: SANKYO Vintage Pachinko Machine EBIRA - YouTube Unfortunately, it has no background information. Above the center feature (a crab?) it has the word EBIRA.

Anyone know anything else about this model? I've started doing some cleaning, cleared a ball jam, done some minor repairs, and installed light bulbs. I already have a plan for the power supply.

If anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
    IMG_3838.jpgIMG_3833.jpgIMG_3832.JPGIMG_3832a.jpgIMG_3834.jpgIMG_3835.jpgIMG_3836.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to sethbramwell

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My second vintage, third pachi... help identifying please?

Hey, that's my video...

You have the wiring fixed which is good!

Member Browne92 sells replacement dust covers in you need any. You may have taken yours off in the pictures.

Don't know what Ebira means but thought it was someone that fought Godzilla maybe.

You could glue a piece of plastic on the side of your upper tray or buy one off eBay maybe.

Year is 51 + 24 = 1975 + / -

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Carl! It is missing one dust cover (over the see-saw) The major broken pieces of the ball supply hopper were with the machine, and I've epoxy'd them into place, though I'm not sure it will stand up to the weight of the balls. I may reinforce it with a small piece of MDF screwed to the hopper body.

Also, I realized it's missing the counterweight that triggers the empty hopper light. Any suggestions where to get one or how to fabricate one?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Member pachinko restorations makes a replacement part.

Pachinko Restorations - Sankyo Low Ball Counterweight Assembly - SLBC16

If the plastic piece that holds the rod is broken, it's a tough fix. I have used landing gear parts and fender washers to fabricate one. But for all the time and effort the one in the link is a better value and will hold up better.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I believe EBIRA is some sort of Shrimpy-lobster-like creature that fought Godzilla

there's a reference in this thread here: Two New Additions - Please help me name them

and it shows a pic too

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks again, Carl! Thankfully, the plastic piece seems intact, and just the metal rod seems to be missing. I'll be sure to check out the link!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hanabi: I guess that's what the odd lobster thing is in the center. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i am sure i have the hopper and i think it is in green! and i might have the counterweight assy as well. i recently gutted a sankyo machine. i will check this evening.

AG
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ANGRY GARY

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Angry Gary! That would be great!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i have made small repairs for the missing weight with a spring.. find a place on the down rod where it is bent and place a light duty spring there to hold the rod up.. it takes a light spring but an easy fix
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think I may have come across a solution for the missing weight... I'll post pictures if it works and share!

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to sethbramwell

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi all! I solved the counterweight problem, surprisingly cheaply (60 cents for the one part I didn’t have on hand). The whole replacement assembly weighs just under 2 ounces. None of the parts used are from pachis, just sourced from other things. Feel free to try this if you have the necessary tools:

Tools needed: Hacksaw, needle nose pliers, 6/32 tap and drill bit for tapping, 9/64 drill bit, metal file, electric drill, bench vise, WD/40 or similar lubricant

Parts: (2) 6/32 screws, (1) 6/32 nut and washer, (1) wire coat hanger (the thicker the better as long as you can still bend it), (1) Solid metal tool handle (or any kind of comparable metal cylinder. Mine is an old tool found at my local Goodwill Clearance Center, and I believe it’s steel. Since they price by weight, this was the piece that cost me 60 cents)

• Cut off a small section of the metal cylinder. File the rough edge smooth if needed.
    • Place the cylinder in a vise and drill a 9/64 hole all the way through from top to bottom. Place a length of the hanger through. It should be snug, but free to turn.
    • Turn the cylinder with the hanger still through it on its side in the vise and carefully drill with the 6/32 tap drill until you hit the hanger (You’ll see it jerk)
    • Now comes the part that requires a LOT of patience. Remove the hanger piece. Now use the 6/32 tape and slowly thread the hole in the side to take a 6/32 screw. It will take a while, and you’ll have to reverse and blow out any filings/metal bits whenever you get stuck. Some WD/40 or similar lubricant goes a long way in this step!
    • When you’ve threaded the hole all the way through, screw in a 6/32 screw to ake sure it goes all the way through to the hollow core. Be gentle, if you force it and there’s no thread, the screw may snap off (ask how I know THAT one…)
    • Test the fit with the hanger piece. You should now be able to insert the rod and tighten the screw to the point where you can’t pull the hanger out without a lot of force.
    • Cut a straight length of the hanger and use needle-nose pliers to bend one end into a circle shape. Use a 6/32 screw, nut, and washer to secure this short rod to the plastic in your pachi.
    • Gently slide the cylinder onto the hanger rod, tighten your screw, and you’re good to go!
    • IMG_3841.jpgIMG_3842.jpgIMG_3843.jpgIMG_3844.jpgIMG_3845.jpgIMG_3846.jpgIMG_3847.jpgIMG_3848.jpg

Oh, and I will be getting a shorter screw at the hardware store tomorrow. This was just what I had on hand LOL.

20. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to sethbramwell

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i am sorry. i do not have the hopper in that color.and it appears sethbramwell has your solution to the counterweight.

AG
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No worries. Thanks anyway! By the way, any idea where I could find a window for the see saw assembly? It's a rectangular one and not an oval...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice job on both the counterweight solution and the documentation! This will be useful for others!
    A Hardy har har...

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by sethbramwell View Post
    No worries. Thanks anyway! By the way, any idea where I could find a window for the see saw assembly? It's a rectangular one and not an oval...
    can check out...

pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

26. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey everyone! Just though I'd sahre an update of my progress. Still a ways to go, but here's where I am:
    IMG_3963.jpgIMG_3964.jpgIMG_3960.jpg
    A few notes:
    IMG_3961.jpg
    I may be preaching to the choir, but I've always used a wide mouth/spout funnel to catch the balls when I re-frame the machine. I had inspiration strike at a thrift store when I found this shop-vac attachment. The mouth is wide enough to catch the balls from both chutes, and the extra wide hose opening eliminates ball clogging. I cut the bottom of the frame with a 2.5 inch hole saw and screwed the attachment into place. I play tested it last night, and only a handfull of balls missed.

IMG_3962.jpg
    Any suggestions on how to obtain a replacement cover for this chute that leads to the center jackpot hopper? Without it, the balls stack on top of each other and can lead to jamming problems.

IMG_3965.jpg

Again, may be nothing new, bit thought I'd share this: I've found a cell phone charger works great for powering the lights. Just find a small 5 VDC one and it can wire right into the lights.

28. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to sethbramwell

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by sethbramwell View Post
    Any suggestions on how to obtain a replacement cover for this chute that leads to the center jackpot hopper? Without it, the balls stack on top of each other and can lead to jamming problems.
    Member Cardwii's site... Pachinko Restorations - Sankyo Lower Track Cover - LTC09

30. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW