Thread: Light Options

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Light Options

Been a few days, but I finally came up with some questions to ask.

Quick update first, though. I've got new glass in the door, polished my nail heads and other metals, and wired in a wall wart for power. The good news is that all I had to do was splice in a wall wart to make it work.
    photo.jpg
    The bad news is that the bulbs just aren't bright enough for me and I have a wonky screw connector. So, on to questions.

1. I've done some forum searches, but everything LED related seems to be about strip lights and custom made stuff. Has anyone come across anything more plug and play? Just a simple 3 LED cluster of some kind that I can splice in would probably work great. I saw something like that at Home Depot tonight, but it required a mounted strip to plug in to. Are normal bulbs still the best bet if I don't want to get an electrical engineering degree?

2. When I was connecting my wall wart, I went to unscrew the blue connector and both parts of it unscrewed instead of just the knob part that clamps down. I never heard a nut drop off the back and don't see one on the bottom of the cabinet, but if I try to screw it back in there is nothing catching. The lights still work as long as it stays in place, but there is nothing really holding it there. It could fall out with a good shake. What am I missing?
    photo 1.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Light Options

Try 12V LED car lights I think you can find them at a auto parts store if not.

LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

There are nuts on the back of the wire lugs that hold it in place and the wires on if you can't find it send me a PM.
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

3. The following user says "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

what size wall wart are ya using??? i have see wallwarts htat only put out 6 or less volts.. and some put out as much as 30...

i find that 9 volts ones are usualy ok but a bit dim... 12 volts ones are nice and bright but the will burn your bulbs out faster (assuming you have original style bulbs)

my point is you might consider a higher output wallwart
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I bought these for my arrangeball machine. They screw right into the original sockets with no modifications! 50 White E10 9V LED Bulb Light Lamp for DIY Lionel WL | eBay

8. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks everyone, I'll take a look at all these options and see what I end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    what size wall wart are ya using???
    I went with a 9v, so it could be on the weak side. I also assume I am using period (or very close) bulbs, so I didn't want to burn them up. They have to last until I can replace them.

I have a 12v I can try, but my main displeasure is that the light doesn't fill the empty tray light and center feature when they are on. I need to figure out something with a bit more throw to it, so it lights up all that cheap translucent plastic.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaz View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'll take a look at all these options and see what I end up with.

I went with a 9v, so it could be on the weak side. I also assume I am using period (or very close) bulbs, so I didn't want to burn them up. They have to last until I can replace them.

I have a 12v I can try, but my main displeasure is that the light doesn't fill the empty tray light and center feature when they are on. I need to figure out something with a bit more throw to it, so it lights up all that cheap translucent plastic.
    try the 12 volt.. the lights are only on for a quick flash so there is little risk of blowing them right away... i have burned a few bulb in my past but that was cause i put 12 volts to 6 volt bulbs..

give it a try
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by cardwwi View Post
    There are nuts on the back of the wire lugs that hold it in place and the wires on if you can't find it send me a PM.
    I found it!

It was trapped behind the panel. All fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post

Try the 12 volt.
    I did and my machine exploded!

j/k It really helped the brightness. Thanks!

Only thing is, it made me more aware of how yellow they are. Happy for now, but I'm debating going with some pure white LEDs or getting ones that match the colors of the plastic they light up in the future.

13. The following user says "Thanks" to TheRaz