Thread: What kind of power supply is needed for the UFO pachink machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What kind of power supply is needed for the UFO pachink machine.

i see the UFO pachinko machine has a secondary hook up for power. what size power supply does it require. sorry for the question, i tried to do a search but putting "UFO" in the search engine brings up nothing. i thought at least a picture of Michael Schenker and his flying "V" guitar would appear but yet i got nothing. any info or thread link would be great.

AG
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

2. The following user says "Thanks" to ANGRY GARY

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: What kind of power supply is needed for the UFO pachink machine.

24 V AC for the board and whatever you want for the lights. The lights go through the two "regular" Model B power terminals with the thumb screws.

Better choice is to test the board with 24V DC. The diode based rectifier is usually blown on UFO's and Circuits. Good Luck.

DSC05291.jpg

​The board has an ON / OFF switch; if the "dot" is pressed down - it's ON.

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What kind of power supply is needed for the UFO pachink machine.

An AC power supply. thats interesting. i will look around for a 24vdc ps to give it a go. . what is the best way to test the board? drop balls in the pockets?

AG
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A pachinko ball in top center WIN pocket, should open the center UFO and "maybe" light one light. Pachinko ball in either side UFO pocket advances lights until last one is illuminated and everything is flashing. Next pachinko ball in either side UFO closes center UFO and turns off lights.

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Like all of the Nishijin Electro-mechanicals, it is 24VDC. Your solution is simple. Replace the current bulbs with 24VDC bulbs and tie the fuses together.

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i see the fuse on the regular model b terminal. is the second fuse on the circuit board? i haven't opened it up yet. until i get a power supply. i ordered one off of ebay and it should arrive by wednesday.
    i am gutting a modern pachinko machine and pulled the power supply out of it. it is putting out 26vac. so close!

AG
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Angry Gary,
    The transformer from your modern is the correct AC one. It is AC and it's not unusual for it to put out more than 24V AC with no load. As far as bulbs go- 30V bulbs seem to be more common with the screw in base - they would work fine and are not dim at all at 24V AC or 24V DC. The bulbs don't care so much about AC or DC.

The power flash has two fuses. The circuit and UFO have just one.

What makes me nervous about your machine is that there is no transformer attached. This means (most times) that something blew on the board and the previous owner threw away the transformer. Maybe not. But if you want to hook up your modern transformer to the board and see if it works; give it a shot. There is no way to tell other than to try. On the circuit boards I've seen with diode / rectifier failure: there were also a number of failed components on the board and the power supply wasn't going to make a difference. Don't have your head near it when you plug it in and be ready to unplug it if it starts smoking. This is true with a DC or a AC power supply. You can wire an inline 2A fuse into the circuit. The UFO game should not draw more than 2A and your modern transformer is probably 4A.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

great info ! thanks. i am at work until 11 pm tonight. so i got something to look forward to doing when i get home. i will open her up and give the board a quick visual. i just got off the phone with the guy i bought it from. i didn't meet him the first time, it was in a van at his house, he was gone and he told me to take it out of the van and look it over and if i wanted it then put the money in a certain location which i did. so i called him this evening and he said he never had it hooked to a transformer. when he bought it the guy told him it needed one.

but lately i have been on a winning streak with the near mint $10 machine, the 13 machines for dirt cheap and the arrangeball machine. so i am going to step up to the plate tonight and hit a walk off home run! and not a blooper that just clears the wall in the left field corner..oh no too easy... i am going upper deck in straight away center. then do my victory trot around the bases into the dugout though the locker room doors into the parking lot into my car and straight to Disney world! (Have i jinxed myself yet!!).
    if i don't burn the house down tonight i will give everyone an update!

AG
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ANGRY GARY

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i have used this exact transformer on every vintage machine that required power...

there is a center tap to keep the lights on 10 / 12 volts.. not tieing things together or anything like that...

RadioShack 25 2 Vac 2A Power Transformer Center Tapped 273 1512B | eBay
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i noticed rival says 24vdc, but everyone else says 24vac. i figure circuit boards are ac and the lights are dc.
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I never had a UFO, but 24VDC has worked just fine for both Powerflash and Circuit machines in my experience. Never tried 24VAC, but I guess the little built-in bridge rectifier would probably convert it just fine, I can only assume that is what it is there for.

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ANGRY GARY View Post
    i noticed rival says 24vdc, but everyone else says 24vac. i figure circuit boards are ac and the lights are dc.
    It's confusing, Have to admit. The board on the UFO has a simple diode, bridge rectifier that converts AC to DC. The bulbs can be AC or DC and are wired separately from the board. The transformer that Mopar uses is a center tap transformer that can supply 12.6 V AC OR 25.2 V AC. With Mopar's transformer, the bulbs would be AC.

Anyhow, I'm guessing you burnt your house down?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it did not burn the house down. i stopped all work on it and boxed it up. the young member in Vegas wants it so it is now boxed up and awaiting payment then off to the desert..
    i figured i better not do anything to it that could damage it or damage it further. i will leave that for someone else. did not mean to leave anyone hanging in suspense!

AG
    RUDY WAS OFFSIDE

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ANGRY GARY

Fever Hunter Super Dave Osbourne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    i have used this exact transformer on every vintage machine that required power...

there is a center tap to keep the lights on 10 / 12 volts.. not tieing things together or anything like that...

RadioShack 25 2 Vac 2A Power Transformer Center Tapped 273 1512B | eBay
    I have purchased 10 of these in a bulk buy on ebay, delivered for a few bucks each as I recall. Never gone wrong with them, nice to be able to replace the screw on bulb sockets for light features with readily available (and free) bayonet style pinball sockets (from pinball parts machines, each machine has maybe 120-150 sockets available, sometimes more and often less). Works great, and pinball bulbs are a dime a dozen, the old GE brass colored with purple/blue ceramic inside the bulb are IMHO the best and last the longest. YMMV, this is what I do and it costs about nothing to me, so hopefully this helps you too.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Super Dave Osbourne