Thread: Found a Cheap Pachinko Machine...Have a few Questions.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Found a Cheap Pachinko Machine...Have a few Questions.

Well I am new to Pachinko in general, I have never owned or worked on one, but I think they are cool and I found a reasonable one on craigslist to restore. Well when it comes to the restoration, I would like to redo the playing field and I do not know if I can do what I have in mind. Well I am a huge St. Louis Blues/St. Louis Cardinals fan and I would love to make a machine that could go in my man-cave. Well when it comes to the playing field can I disassemble it enough to put this logo in the center?I know this may totally take away the value of the machine but this is for my personal man cave so I am ok with getting rid of the original design. I am just wondering if doing this as the playing field would make sense? If it does not please let me know and give me any suggestions that you could that would allow me to do a St. Louis theme Pachinko machine. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Found a Cheap Pachinko Machine...Have a few Questions.

Sounds cool to me!! Many people replace their playfields..It takes a lot of nail pulling, but its totally doable!!

There are lots of threads in the Vintage section about playfields and lots of people (not me ) that should be able to answer any questions you have!!

Here's a good thread to get you started!!

Done with my second playing field replacement (with step-by-step pdf)

And..

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just be prepared... it is a lot of work, but the results can be spectacular.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Replacing the cell (play field) is very rewarding when you see that game come back to life. You will never look at those nails the same way again; I promise. This link begins to address changing cells out for other designs: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...n-designs.html

Its a lively discussion about that very subject that has proven to be very insightful and helpful to my restoration efforts.

Most of all enjoy yourself!

Good luck, have fun, and post pictures ...We LOVE pictures

Welcome to PachiTalk!

7. The following user says "Thanks" to DaveCapps

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello

Looks like you got some good advice and links there

so I'll just welcome you to PachiTalk

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks everyone for all of the advice, links and welcomes!! I really appreciate the warm welcome. Well now that I know that it can be done I have one more question. I know that the playing surface has a layer over it that has the original graphics. Well is there a way that I could take this off and put a surface on it that I could paint on? I saw in the step-by-step restoration that vinyl car graphics was used. However, I would like to be able to paint it myself? Is this an option. Thanks again for all of your help so far!!

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jniere15

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hmmm. Paint and rapidly moving steel balls could be pretty bad ju ju. Maybe if you are using automotive urethane it would hold up but i just dunno. I kind of remember seeing something on PT about this so I would suggest doing a search for it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCapps View Post
    Hmmm. Paint and rapidly moving steel balls could be pretty bad ju ju. Maybe if you are using automotive urethane it would hold up but i just dunno. I kind of remember seeing something on PT about this so I would suggest doing a search for it.
    I was thinking the same think at first, but then I saw some guys talking about Mylar? From what I understand it is transparent and I could use it to cover the surface once it is painted? I am not sure if this makes sense so please correct me if I am wrong? And thanks again for the reply!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What about having your desired playing field artwork scanned and printed on vinyl/mylar by a graphics shop and then applying it to the machine's surface?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can do any of the above. Remove the old background and sand to get a flat, smooth surface. At that point seal the wood with whatever and paint on that or apply some new substrate that's good for painting. Or what i think would bereally cool is ro mikic the process used in pinball machines. seal the wood then apply a layer of white then silkscreen (or whatever paint process) and then a few costs of 2 part auto clear. The bottom line is that the art has to be protected. I have all my repro backgrounds laminated with a layer of clear from the print shop and then I put a layer of clear, adhesive mylar over that. Works great.
    Auto vinyl is the standard that I used years ago for my first one and it works great from an art quality standpoint and ease of use. However, a very close inspection will reveal artifacts of printing on vinyl in the form of sort of a repeating, extremely slight color gradient. All my backgrounds are done by print shops using the highest quality vinyl and highest print resolution. It's hard to describe this effect and if you were standing in front of one of my restored machines, I'd have to tell you before you'd ever notice it. And one of my all original Taiyo's has this same effect but exaggerated intentionally from the factory to give it a comic book/pulp feel which is cool because its a sci fi theme with flying saucers. So in that case its cool. I'm a perfectionist somewhat on these restos and every time I do one I tell myself the next time I'm going to print on paper for a better result and something more true to the original process used. This is the original method used as far as I can tell (not the mylar)and holds up for decades.
    Again though this is really splitting hairs and for a first time cel replacement its hard to beat vinyl for ease of use and still a high quality result. Just print out 2 copies for your first time in case you mess up one. Its easy to do till you get the process down of how to center it and then stick it down.
    The pic of the saucer is the intentional graininess done by the factory.
    The gun pic is the limitation of printing on vinyl and it may not even be visible in the pic but its most prevalent in the blue area.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by gooilers View Post
    What about having your desired playing field artwork scanned and printed on vinyl/mylar by a graphics shop and then applying it to the machine's surface?
    That is a good idea, I will have to look into the cost of that! Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    You can do any of the above. Remove the old background and sand to get a flat, smooth surface. At that point seal the wood with whatever and paint on that or apply some new substrate that's good for painting. Or what i think would bereally cool is ro mikic the process used in pinball machines. seal the wood then apply a layer of white then silkscreen (or whatever paint process) and then a few costs of 2 part auto clear. The bottom line is that the art has to be protected. I have all my repro backgrounds laminated with a layer of clear from the print shop and then I put a layer of clear, adhesive mylar over that. Works great.
    Auto vinyl is the standard that I used years ago for my first one and it works great from an art quality standpoint and ease of use. However, a very close inspection will reveal artifacts of printing on vinyl in the form of sort of a repeating, extremely slight color gradient. All my backgrounds are done by print shops using the highest quality vinyl and highest print resolution. It's hard to describe this effect and if you were standing in front of one of my restored machines, I'd have to tell you before you'd ever notice it. And one of my all original Taiyo's has this same effect but exaggerated intentionally from the factory to give it a comic book/pulp feel which is cool because its a sci fi theme with flying saucers. So in that case its cool. I'm a perfectionist somewhat on these restos and every time I do one I tell myself the next time I'm going to print on paper for a better result and something more true to the original process used. This is the original method used as far as I can tell (not the mylar)and holds up for decades.
    Again though this is really splitting hairs and for a first time cel replacement its hard to beat vinyl for ease of use and still a high quality result. Just print out 2 copies for your first time in case you mess up one. Its easy to do till you get the process down of how to center it and then stick it down.
    The pic of the saucer is the intentional graininess done by the factory.
    The gun pic is the limitation of printing on vinyl and it may not even be visible in the pic but its most prevalent in the blue area.
    That machine that you have there has a really cool look to it, I really definitely have to look into that process because I think that would make sports logos look really cool.Thanks again for all of the feedback, your response was really helpful. I will definitely have to post some pictures once my machine is finished! Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachinko.jpg
    Ok, I am sorry, I have a couple more questions for everyone. Thanks for you help so far! First off, is this a machine that is rare at all and should not be restored to a different theme? I do not want to destroy something that a collector would want. Only paid $30. Also, when it comes to all of the plastic pieces that protrude from the playing service, is there a way that those can be painted?

Thanks again for everyones helping, you are making this a lot easier then I thought it would be!!

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jniere15

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jniere15 View Post
    Pachinko.jpg
    Ok, I am sorry, I have a couple more questions for everyone. Thanks for you help so far! First off, is this a machine that is rare at all and should not be restored to a different theme? I do not want to destroy something that a collector would want. Only paid $30. Also, when it comes to all of the plastic pieces that protrude from the playing service, is there a way that those can be painted?

Thanks again for everyones helping, you are making this a lot easier then I thought it would be!!
    rare?? no

30.00 dollars... good buy

does it play?? are all the parts on the back side??

there is a krylon paint for plastics... i would start with it

Fusion for Plastic - | Krylon
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No, that's not a rare machine, there's plenty of them.
    Yes, you can paint the plastic parts but if they're the parts that the balls come in contact with, you should use an enamel and clearcoat for durability.
    If you're planning on painting the front of those parts where balls don't hit, then any paint will do. Google search on how to paint plastic. Depending on what you want to do will determine if you should prime the parts or not.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog