Thread: Blasphemy to replace old cells with more modern designs?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Blasphemy to replace old cells with more modern designs?

I am toying with the idea of updating some cell graphics. I am considering replacing something like this:

cell no background with border.jpg or thisufocell.jpg

with something like this:
    beautiful_colorful_background_pattern_01_vector_0 (2).jpg or thisBright colorful dynamic Background1.jpg or this test2.jpg

I know, My machine, do what I please. But I do eventually sell them. So do you think it would adversely affect the saleability of a vintage machine?

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to DaveCapps

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Blasphemy to replace old cells with more modern designs?

no not at all .. i think its only fair and honest to tell a buyer the machine has been changed.. but some people would enjoy the change..

there are so many machines out there if someone wanted an original there plentiful...

the last one doesn't do much for me (the center jackpot would cut most of it out) but to each there own...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It has been my experience that most people who purchase restored vintage machines do so because of childhood memories. The closer you can stay to the look and feel of the original machines, the wider your potential client base. I have restored probably 50 machines for clients, always offered them custom graphics, and there has not been a single occasion where they did not want the original graphics replaced. Even considering that I have several dozen reproduced original graphics to choose from, they never want to go with a different one.

This does not mean there is not a market for restored machines with updated graphics. Just that given a choice, they apparently always choose the originals. Personally I don't think it makes much business sense to try and market updated graphics, but I could be wrong.

6. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I can see where someone brings you a machine to be restored, they'd want the original graphics. But if someone is browsing through machines, they might like updated graphics. Especially if they match the theme of the center feature. Pachinkos seem to be very 'disjointed' in that the theme of the CF seldom matches the playfield.

I don't think you'd destroy your ability to sell it, you might just narrow the market a bit. My 2 cents, which is exactly what it's worth.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

several considerations to make but first is, it really doesn't matter since these things are so plentiful. as for your choices, they don't appeal to me. they're cool designs i suppose but look too modern on these old machines-just seems like there's a design and era clash so to speak. which brings up the issue of a brand new, brightly colored cel on a machine with a beat up frame, trays, etc. it looks out of place even if the machine is cleaned up. if you're going to change the cel, i'd stick with replicating the designs of the 50 and early 60's machines like the ones i posted a link to in another thread.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm up on my soap box.

If you could legally put pro sports team logos, liquor logos, Nascar logos, etc. on the play field, they would sell.

Terminator, Spiderman, and Star Wars all are popular on the modern cells.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can legally use copy-written or trademarked material for a single work of art. If you made a single machine with such artwork you could sell it, but could never reproduce it again. Nor could you you use it in any way which lends to the perception that the owners of the trademark or the copyright endorse or condone it's use.

You can make one pachinko machine with a superbowl 2014 theme. You could not reproduce the art and sell several machines, sell copies of the artwork, or otherwise reproduce it. It would have to be a one-time only thing. There is quite a bit of case law on this in the USA. You could make one machine with a Pepsi theme. One with a Cleveland browns theme. One with a Peyton Manning theme. But one and only one.

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    You can legally use copy-written or trademarked material for a single work of art. If you made a single machine with such artwork you could sell it, but could never reproduce it again. Nor could you you use it in any way which lends to the perception that the owners of the trademark or the copyright endorse or condone it's use.

You can make one pachinko machine with a superbowl 2014 theme. You could not reproduce the art and sell several machines, sell copies of the artwork, or otherwise reproduce it. It would have to be a one-time only thing. There is quite a bit of case law on this in the USA. You could make one machine with a Pepsi theme. One with a Cleveland browns theme. One with a Peyton Manning theme. But one and only one.
    That is an interesting thought! I have often thought that you could sell...say, a Disney theme nachine (you could make dozens and never have to repeat) machine, Possibly a screen shot from any popular movie...ETC. I always thought you could make one for yourself...but could never sell it.
    I am guilty of the cell CHANGE myself. My arrangeball machine had a trashed cell.DSCF8240.JPGOf course you can't see from this far back...DSCF8250.JPGDSCF8247.JPGDSCF8248.JPGDSCF8249.JPGEven these shots don't show how bad it was. The dingy mold spotted layer was a clear sheet of some sort. I was cracking, splitting, and lifting away from the paper background, which was water stained, and mold spots as well. The splitting and lifting was so bad that I had to cut off the clear from a space that got balls stuck over a spread of 4 or 5 numbered slots at the bottom. I had no problem replacing the cell...I was just torn over keeping it original, or replacing it with something I liked. It wasn't that hard of a decision, I HATED THE CELL PATTERN. I would have had to have someone replicate it for me...I don't have the equipment or skill to do that myself! I didn't want to pay extra for a cell I did not like. So I chose one from Pachinko Planet (Rival's website!) It was ready, arrived in days, and made me happy. DSCF8698.JPG As mentioned above, it should fit the theme if possible. I think my new cell works...DSCF8691.JPG Balls enter from the left...bounce and tumble around...then land in one of the many slots below! It has a bit of a modern flair, but stills retains a vintage look! Does it depreciate the value of the machine? All other things being equal...probably. Is it worth more now than when I started...yes. Given the fact that I have no plans to get rid of it...NO LOSS OF VALUE!
    DO IT? Sure. Just try not to go too modern on a vintage. Early modern might do better with a more modern look.

16. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I do custom graphics and many people love the machines I do. (not meaning just PT members but people who have seen it in person). Though I do still try to stick with the original styling / feel that the artists would have tried to get.

Here are a few pictures of ones I have done / going to be putting on.

35.jpg22 - Copy.jpg37.jpgNYC with holes.jpgIsland Surround background with holes copy.jpgCircles & Ovals background with holes copy.jpg
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 05-08-2014 at 07:12 PM.

100 machines and counting...

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the note, Max. I like the backgrounds a lot (Tiki Bowl made me laugh; guess I'm the right age to remember all the Tiki rooms). Your work is terrific and gives me pause to consider options. I am not an artist so I have to take my inspirations from other sources but this helps a great deal.

Dave

20. The following user says "Thanks" to DaveCapps

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think updates to classic machines are one of the best ways to enjoy them. I was working to restore vintage damaged machines but give them a modern look and play without interfering with their original mechanical working style. I was worried at first that I would upset purists, but I found that my modifications were accepted as a new addition to something people love.

22. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to ShockSystem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Blasphemy?

I think not, My last one was my first cell emplacement, and I spent a couple of weeks coming up with the replacement design (tons or revisions)IMG_0691.jpg I went from This to This IMG_0802.jpg she came out very Nice!

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Phulkrum,

I am in the middle of restoring that exact machine for a client. My graphics guy just finished getting the playfiled graphics restored, so in a week or so I can post a pic of it with the machine back to original. You were not far off, that original playfield was mostly green, although a lighter green than what you used. But yours looks great!

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My printer was doing a cabinet wrap and got the size wrong, so I used it as a background.

Phoenix Butterfly.jpg Phoenix Butterfly A.jpg

The japanese artwork I got from Search Results: "" - Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (Library of Congress) I think it works
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

28. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to cardwwi