Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CR Units

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: CR Units

Hmmm, due to technical difficulties looks like I'm going to change the displays, but if I use a shift register like this one

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1777736.pdf

I have to be careful what display to use as there is max current of 70mA, so each segment would have to be less than 10mA or use a transistor in circuit. Right?
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't forgotten this project, just been very busy, So here is the first stage of the project done on a breadboard, using 2 shift registers and 2 darlington arrays. Next stage is to mount them onto a circuit board that will fit in the front of the CR unit where the old board was. then mount the 2 push buttons.

Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The breadboard has now been replaced by a double layer of tripad board and fixed into the original housing. Next step, try to get the optical sensors to drive the motor No pics of the board as its so untidy, its an embrassment

Ian #UKPachinko

5. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hope the new components to drive the motor should be here today, given some time I might be able to get the arduino to drive the motor forward and back. Then start work on the IR light beams that detect the card.
    Ian #UKPachinko

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Plugged the components into the bread board and programmed the arduino with a basic program to run the motor one way for 2 seconds, pause, then run the motor the other way, then repeat.

and success, One motor being driven, although slightly faster than I would like. But I can slow it down later, either with a resistor or using the PWM outputs.

Ian #UKPachinko

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Next part, Didn't like the way sensors mounted in the original card reader and getting the card contacts to work was a nightmare, In the end I brought the C-702 card reader with electric release.
    This isn't just a plug in to the CR dongle as the pin configuation is different between the 2 units, Also the card detector switch is the reverse compared to the one Daverob supplies.
    Built a small board so I can plug in the C-702 then plug a ribbon cable in the other end to go to the dongle. Also on the board are 2 opto isolaters. One tells the dongle if there is a card present. The other will add credit onto the card at a later stage. Next to this is a small dip switch. This connects to the rh button on the pachinko. If off it sends the signal to the dongle (for setup, add credit) When switched on. The signal goes to the arduino unit instead to trigger the card release solenoid. Now here I did make a slight error. Its not a problem but I got the 12v card release. It would have been easier to get the 5v version as then would only need one set of voltages. As it is, the power supply in the CR unit has a 5 and 12 volt outputs anyway.

So here is a basic video of the test rig.
    Starting with the --- on the screen as no card is entered.
    Insert the card and see availible credit/ Release some balls and add credit.
    Turn dip switch from off to on.
    Press to release the card. I could do with a different resistor here as the coil isn't as sharp as it could be.
    Display goes back to ---

Ian #UKPachinko

11. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Right, I think all the soldering is now done on my little tripad board. Replaced the key switch yesterday and installed all
    the pull up and pull down resisitors onto the board rather than the bread board. Not sure I needed pull down resistors, but they are there just in case.

Next stage is is try and sort out the arduino programming. Been looking at different example codes and slowly understanding sub routines and how I want the program to be constructed.
    Ian #UKPachinko

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Plugged it all in tonight,
    Well it didn't go bang but it didn't work either,

Hmm the display on the CR unit didn't scroll, and the plus 5 credit didn't work. But the eject button worked and I was able to add 1 credit at a push of a button. I think the coding right, so my home made circuit board must be iffy.
    I;ve taken it out and will go over it again.
    Ian #UKPachinko

15. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

With some advice from Daverob pointing me in the right direction for software, I've made up a design for a custom circuit board. The software doesn't have 3D models of all the components, so there are some blanks, but you get the idea

CRunit.jpg

The small top board is the LED display with the 2 push buttons and key operated switch. This links to the main large board by 2 10way ribbon cables. There is a male and female 25P Din socket, one goes to the pachi via a standard 25P extention, the other is for the dongle that then sits in the middle of the board. Then the middle connector plugs into the socket on the dongle. Between the 2 25P connectors there is a jumper, to either send the signal from RH button from the pachi to the dongle or to the Arduino board. The socket right at the botton is what the new card reader plugs into and next to it (cut out of shot) is the connector for the solenoid release. At the top right, there is the connector sending all the feeds back to the Arduino board.

I guess I now have to look at getting 3 of these made up
    Ian #UKPachinko

17. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I made some minor changes to the board. Added a 12v jack on the bottom of the board, changed the output connectors to the solenoid and key switch and the arduino inputs to 5.08 spacing instead of 2.54. Now sent the files the software generates to the company in China, just waiting for them
    to check them over before payment.

Never done one anything like this before so slightly nervous
    Ian #UKPachinko

19. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Checked, paid and in production Just got to do some soldering when they get here
    Ian #UKPachinko

21. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Scrap that, have to pay import duty first
    Ian #UKPachinko

23. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well the boards are here I was a bit surprised to see a large hole in the middle of them....Opps But thats where the dongle should sit, so its not a problem. So need to cut the left hand sides off as they are the display section, then make a list of componets I don't have.

DSC05795.jpg
    Ian #UKPachinko

25. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Slowly getting there, There are a few errors, But I've never done anything like this so it is a bit of a learning curve by error

I'm currently waiting for the power jacks to turn up, but from here you get the basic idea. Although, one of my errors is that the dongle will not fit in while its in its case Or had the connector moved more into the hole.
    My other annoying error is the holes for all the connectors are too small by about 1mm So the connector pins will not fit through. I can get round this by soldering the wires direct to the board rather than using connectors.

DSC05905.jpg
    Ian #UKPachinko

27. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

errr. it seems there are some design issuses on the board, But if anyone asks, it was done on purpose to stop anyone copying them

It seems that I got pin 5 on the 2 ribbon cables to the front panel mixed up so I'm sending 5v to the wrong place. Also for some reason I put the markings for the normal LEDs the wrong way, so I soldered them on the wrong way round
    Ian #UKPachinko

29. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So the display works, the binary has been re entered so I have the scrolling message for eject and insert card. Had to
    modify the original code as it was only checking to see if the card was present at the end of each message, leading to a delay in play. I had an issue with the signal from the pachinko right button with the pull up resistor not working, but that's been solved. Next I need to get the code sorted for the credit add.
    Ian #UKPachinko

31. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Update:
    Insert card message working and shooter disabled. Pachinki displays ---

When card inserted, the cr display changes straight away to say "play" once before turning into a scrolling box. Pachinko displays credits on card.

Turn Key, Cr display shows "C"
    press the top button, display "C1" Pachinko credit advances by 10
    press the bottom, display shows "C5" Pachinko credit advances by 10 (bugger)

Turn Key back, Cr display returns to scrolling box.

Press the right button on the pachinko, Card is ejected and the CR display says "Eject" on removal pachinko display returns ---

Things to resolve,
    why after pressing the eject button and removing and reinserting a card, the "play" messages fails to display (it only happens on the first time)
    Delay in entering credit mode and eject. - the code needs altering to check regularly for an input.
    Getting the plus 5 credit to work, this is down to the settings in the dongle, it's not taking 5 pulses per second as 5 seperate adds,

Working out how I can build more units without having to fit an arduino in each one
    Ian #UKPachinko

33. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

[QUOTE=Drunkenclam;540560Getting the plus 5 credit to work, this is down to the settings in the dongle, it's not taking 5 pulses per second as 5 seperate adds, [/QUOTE]

Which dongle are you using (Rev1 or Rev2), and which input are you pulsing to add credit (the 'Return' button input or the external input on the expansion connector)?

The return button input's debouncing prevents fast pulses being used to add credit, the external input on a Rev1 dongle is really only suitable for slow pulse inputs (ie from a mechanical coin mech or credit add switch). It's software polled 50 times per second and with default settings it needs to read a minimum of 5 consecutive polls at each state to register an input pulse as valid, so 5 pulses per second is about it's limit. You can try reducing the external input debounce setting from 'E05' to 'E01' (don't try 'E00' as there's a bug that prevents it from working properly!), but even on the lower settings the Rev1 wasn't that reliable with pulse inputs.

A couple of bugs in the external input code were fixed for the Rev2 dongles, and it should be more reliable for pulse inputs. 5 pulses per second should be possible (with debounce set to 'E01' or 'E02'), but if it's a lot faster then it's likely to miss pulses.

The best option for fast pulse credit adding is a Rev2 dongle with the latest 'r2-1' firmware (check the scrolling message as you enter setup mode it should read 'CrE r2-1 (c) dr 10-05-2012' for the current firmware). The external input code was updated in this version for a customer with coin mechs with a very fast (10mS) pulse output, if the External input debounce setting is set to 'E-0' with this firmware the external input is read by a software interrupt and doesn't go through the normal input polling/debouncing at all.

35. The following user says "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cheers Dave

using ver 2 dongles with the credit impulse being done by opti coupler across 5 and 6 as per the diagram on your website. As to what version I'll have to check tomorrow.

So I should do a setting of 0.1s on, 0.1s off, 0.1s on, 0.1s off, etc
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just looked at the pic above and seen that you've got a Rev2. From the serial number I think it should have shipped with 'r2-1'. But I'm not 100% sure, as it was from the crossover batch that was originally loaded with 'r2-0' (according to the production records), but most of this batch were updated with 'r2-1' before shipping. From the shipping dates, I think the changeover is somewhere around R00690, but I didn't keep a record of which ones were updated.

If you've got the 'r2-1', just set the ext input debounce to 'E-0' and all should be good. If not then give it a try with slower pulses, or the best option is to pop the dongle back to me for a quick firmware update (as the current firmware is so much better at handling pulse inputs!).

38. The following user says "Thanks" to daverob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast