Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CR Units

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: CR Units

Did some probing of the ribbon cable to the buttons. Ics and leds. Took the ic pin location/label from the TI website as they are TI chips, the labels are slightly different from the link above. The D pins are connected to both chips. There is also a lot of shared grounds.

ribbon cable

Vcc

Ground

Spare

D1

D2

D3

D4

D5

D6

D7

IC1 clk

IC2 clk

D8

Unknown

Button top

Button Bottom

Clr

Button ground

Unknown
    Ian #UKPachinko

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That pinout seems consistent with my earlier description. You'll just need the 8 'Data' pins and the two clocks to drive the display. You don't need to connect the 'clear' (clr) pin as all it does is blank the displays, and you can achieve this by writing to both of them.

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    You don't need to connect the 'clear' (clr) pin as all it does is blank the displays, and you can achieve this by writing to both of them.
    Thats good to know, I wasn't sure that if it got the next clock impulse with no D inputs what would happen,

I will try to make a list of all the inputs and outputs needed, to get to the next step forward. Although reading online forums, a scrolling display would require a lot of similar coded lines. But once its started, just copy and paste and alter the output config.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So not including power or i2c pins the list goes as follows.

INPUTS
    credit buttons (x2)
    Reset button (x1) (This could be removed and just have the credit buttons wired through this instead)
    Eject button (x1)
    Photocels (x2)

Total = 6

Output
    Display (x8 location x2 clock)
    Motor (x2)
    Credit add (x1)

Total = 13

I think that is all.

Sub = 19
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I ordered my arduino Uno board yesterday along with a screw terminal shield from a website called hobbytronics. So we will wait and see. I'll start stripping out the card reader unit removing most of the components. Then download the arduino software. I'll try to work it out in sections. Get the reader to work, or LEDs working. Then try to build the code up. Good old cut and paste
    Ian #UKPachinko

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Are you going to have enough I/O pins with an Arduino Uno? The spec says only 14 digital I/O pins, I don't know if you can reconfigure some of the analogue pins as digital inputs. I know that the ATMega microcontroller that it's based on allows you to reconfigure pins, but I don't know if the Arduino software allows it.

Have you checked to see if the optos can be used to detect that the card is fully inserted so you can shut off the motor, if not then you're going to need more I/O pins to count the pulses on the encoder.

Have you figured out how to get the smartcard reader socket for the dongle fixed into the reader mechanism yet? If you are using the entire socket, then the card detect switch on the socket can be used. If you only have room to fit in the contacts from the socket then you'll need a separate card detect switch (or output pin from the arduino) to tell the dongle that there's a card in the reader.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Dave.
    yes your right. It only has 14 digital I/O pins but it does have an additional 6 analogue input pins that can be configured as digital inputs I did check and double check that. Just have to give it the command in the programming.

The spacing of the photo cells is spot on. Just as the card leaves the first sensor it hits the last sensor and end stop. So using that as the stop is perfect. ie the stop one is covered, the start one is clear.

As as for locating the chip reader. Let's just say, I haven't touched that side of it yet. One reason for getting the shield with the screw terminals is so I can do things on a temporary level, before committing the soldering iron.

If it doesn't work. The experience will be good.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The uno arrived yesterday. Now the task of changing my flow diagram into machine code spent last night reading lots of tutorials whilst trying to keep an eye on Clam Jr. Not an easy task.
    Ian #UKPachinko

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just to confuse the heck out of me. It seems that the display is a common anode. So the ic are actually grounding the LEDs rather than supplying power. Now that has vexed me. How to ground (or supply negative voltage) through the ic. Or is it as simple as making sure that vcc is negative. too late and to much wine to think about it now
    Ian #UKPachinko

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Just to confuse the heck out of me. It seems that the display is a common anode. So the ic are actually grounding the LEDs rather than supplying power. Now that has vexed me. How to ground (or supply negative voltage) through the ic. Or is it as simple as making sure that vcc is negative. too late and to much wine to think about it now
    It's not that complicated, you just invert the outputs to the IC in the software. So whenever you want the segment to be lit you output a '0' and output a '1' to switch the LED segment off. Don't try anything with negative voltages as any mistakes will probably end up with a blown chip on the display board (or damage to your arduino).

If you already have your code written to output to the LED segments, then you just need to use the 'bitwise NOT' operator '~' on the byte before writing to the output pins. There are quite a few pages on the internet about how to use this, but if you need specific help then post the appropriate code here and I'll let you know where to make the changes.

17. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is all WAY OVER MY HEAD! But, I have found it a very interesting read! I have been following, and hope you get it to your liking!Looks like you will get it...I would have gave up LONG ago!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    This is all WAY OVER MY HEAD! But, I have found it a very interesting read! I have been following, and hope you get it to your liking!Looks like you will get it...I would have gave up LONG ago!

Its way over my head too, I'm just trying to read online tutorials, and try to convert it to what I want it to do. First thing is just to try and control the display. Then I'll worry about all the other stuff I was just testing the leds last night, Now today I've worked out the binary output for each charactor I want the display to illuminate. Now I have to try to work out the code to get a scrolling message.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Daverob just make it work and sell some to me.
    We know you can do it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

your faith in me is very reassuring
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by derek1960 View Post
    Daverob just make it work and sell some to me.
    We know you can do it.
    I know I can do it as well, so there's no challenge in it and thus no reward.

Getting DC to do it... now there's the challenge.

Besides, there are occasions where it's more rewarding to mentor someone else to acheive a goal than it is to acheive it yourself. I'm sure you've heard the 'Give a man a fish/Teach a man to fish' saying, and hopefully the posts made (and to be made!) in this thread will inspire someone else to challenge themselves and share their experiences with us.

I probably have more faith in DC than he has in himself right now.

23. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry DC.
    Prove me wrong
    If at first you don't succeed, So much for sky diving

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ian #UKPachinko

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    That pinout seems consistent with my earlier description. You'll just need the 8 'Data' pins and the two clocks to drive the display. You don't need to connect the 'clear' (clr) pin as all it does is blank the displays, and you can achieve this by writing to both of them.
    Now let me get this straight.
    1) make clock pin high.
    2) send data to the correct data pins to get the correct output.
    3) make clock pin low. Any changes now to the data pins will not effect the output.

then if I wanted to copy the same data to the next ic (ie for a scrolling display - to shift the character to the next segment) all I would have to do is make the next clock pin high as the data pins are already set high.

The original display will hold the original output till the next clock impulse and the outputs get set to the next data input.

I did did get one led to scroll a message but the LEDs were inverted. So I reversed the binary. But it didn't change the output. Also only one of the 7segs illuminated
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Now let me get this straight.
    1) make clock pin high.
    2) send data to the correct data pins to get the correct output.
    3) make clock pin low. Any changes now to the data pins will not effect the output.
    Not quite. The clock is an edge-triggered input, and the data is latched on the Low->High transition. The output only changes at the instant when the clock goes from low to high, any changes to the data pins will not have any effect on the output at any other time.

So the order would be.

1) Set the clock pin low.
    2) Send the display data to the data pins.
    3) Set the clock pin high. The contents of the data pins will now be transferred to the LED display digit.

Then repeat but using the other clock pin to set the display data on the other display digit.

I did did get one led to scroll a message but the LEDs were inverted. So I reversed the binary. But it didn't change the output.
    Are you sure the LEDs were inverted both times? Or could it be that the data is going to the wrong display segment? I'd first try lighting single segments at a time, just to make sure you're using the right data pin for each segment, as they might not be wired in a logical manner. For example with my dongles the LED segments are wired in the order 'FCBAGED' rather than the more logical 'ABCDEFG' (or 'GFEDCBA'!), as it made the PCB layout more compact and much easier to route the tracks.

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Dave, I'll move the line that makes clock high to after the data is sent. Cut and paste

I replaced the ribbon cable with multicore cable giving me a different colour for each segment. Then lit each segment in turn to find which colour was what segment. So A is black, B is red... That's when I worked out that the display is common anode. I'm just doing a basic program just for the display at the moment. The current scrolling characters are stored in binary format in an array. Then the program takes the binary information to make the first 8 pins high or low depending on the byte.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast