Thread: need help identifying this non-branded machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default need help identifying this non-branded machine

Hi guys, I'm restoring this machine that my Dad had in the basement since I was a child. It has no branding tags or labels, so it's been hard to determine the make and model. I'm hoping to identify it so I can track down a repair manual.
    photo1.jpg

- There is very little electrical, and I'm guessing it's from the early 60's, since I read that 1960 was the first year they were made with 10Vd power, and it has one "tulip" style ball catcher. I don't remember it ever having a power cord of any kind, and the electronics never worked. Just some loose, cut wires.

- Almost all the parts are attached with nails, not screws, and we'd like to know more about it before we start prying them off. If we need to replace parts we will, but our goal is to keep as much of the original mechanical design and pieces as possible.
    photo2.jpg

- There is a stamp or seal on the inside surface in the back, which might be from the manufacturer.
    photo3.jpg

- I'm not entirely sure where my dad acquired the machine in the first place, but it might have been from his father, who ran a small-time, not-entirely legal pinball machine business for some gangsters in San Francisco for a while, which might date it as being from the 50's. Or it could just be nostalgia for that which made my dad pick it up at a garage sale or something, who knows. Dad definitely acquired it somewhere in the Bay Area.

- There are only 4 small lights. We managed to hot-wire 3 of them just to see if the bulbs still work, which they miraculously did ! We couldn't reach the fourth without prying off another piece so we left it alone.

- The mechanical levers in the back are rather sensitive, and all have evidence of having been bent again and again to tweak them. Most of the ball tracks seem to be tin, except for the curved switchbacks(?) which are brass.

- The balls that came with it or may not be the originals. They are chrome and have "BONANZA SILERADO" engraved and painted in red, with red stars between the words. I assume they were a misprint that someone picked up on the cheap.

Any help or info appreciated!

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to technopatra

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: need help identifying this non-branded machine

First off.

to Pachitalk

Second, that is a really cool machine you found there. I'm not sure of the manufacturer but I know very few companies made single shots with a Model A style back. And even fewer made machines with stainless steel fronts. I have some pictures of similar machines but they are on my other computer so I'll check later. In the mean time do you think you could post some more pictures of the front. Areas around the tray, the playfield, and areas with writing.

Your machine is certainly 60's. I want to say early 60's like 61-63 maybe.

Now looking at the front again I think it might be a Narita. Post a picture of the red badge in the upper right corner of the playfield. I think it is Narita, but not 100% on that; but I know I have seen that badge before.

If you have any other questions just ask. And once again welcome to PT.

-Max
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 04-06-2014 at 03:40 PM.

100 machines and counting...

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks, Max. I'll get more pics of the front when I get to my friend's workshop. There is literally no writing on it except for the seal thing and one small metal piece in the back:

photo 2.jpg

6. The following user says "Thanks" to technopatra

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice single shot..

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah it should be a Narita.

Here are the pictures of another that I saw. It was for sale on Shopgoodwill a while back (reason for bad pic quality). It is a shame to see it in such a bad state. But your's looks much nicer and that it has more hope of being played again.

sa4332391123-nD.jpgsa9615441123-nD.jpgsa969141123-nD.jpgsa1011119123-nD.jpgsa5237191123-nD.jpgsa8156025123-nD.jpg

Narita was mainly about simplicity on the front. That is why they usually only put there name on that badge. But the back mechanics on Narita machines are out of this world and totally different from the norm.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 04-07-2014 at 07:17 PM.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by technopatra View Post
    - The balls that came with it or may not be the originals. They are chrome and have "BONANZA SILERADO" engraved and painted in red, with red stars between the words. I assume they were a misprint that someone picked up on the cheap.
    Great single shot machine! Definitely a rare find.

Don't necessarily assume those balls are a misprint per se. "V" is not used in traditional Japanese, so it could have gotten dropped in translation. You will often find misspellings of English words in Japanese culture due to the differences in our alphabets. So while it may seem a misprint to us, in Japan these balls would have likely been accepted and used without a second thought.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Keep in mind that the ball engravings were unique to each establishment and have nothing to do with the make or model of the machine.