Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New toy!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New toy!

What an unusual day! A manager did not come to work...so the manager on duty LOCKED THE DOORS! I got to go home early! Since I saw a SEGA machine for sale on Craigslist...I decided to buy it!DSCF8542.JPG This is HALF WAY up the steps! I am worn out!!! THIS THING IS HEAVY!!! DSCF8556.JPG Here is where it is at right now! I am taking a break!!! I swear...This is the same as my Mills machine...but OH SO MUCH HEAVIER!!! DSCF7122.jpg I wanted to buy a 1964 Mustang with a straight 6 engine...but he was not a "motivated seller". I decided to spend my "Mustang money" somewhere else. I put the mechanism DSCF8553.JPG inside just for the pics! I still ave to shuffle for a place to put it! DSCF8546.JPGDSCF8548.JPGDSCF8550.JPGDSCF8551.JPG This has an electronic jackpot, it has a 110 volt cord attached to it. The sticker inside says 240 volts! I think everything will work out COOL when the prope4r voltage is applied!

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New toy!

I CAN'T GET IT ON THE STAND!!! It is LITERALLY too heavy!!! I will have to get help!

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd come over and help you lift it, but I'm pretty weak and Dayton would be a long walk!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Plays without coins! Does not pay! I knew it didn't pay when i bought it...i figured, I repaired Brains Beer, and have Mills machine as an example (Sega machines are built using MILLS machinery purchased when they went out of business. Mills parts fit and work in a Sega machine.), so I should be able to figure that out.
    So I had to take a closer look. I know that my Mills machine needs to be plugged in to accept a coin. This should have been a RED FLAG! The Sega accepts coins without power. I NEVER pulled the handle without putting a coin in...BIG MISTAKE on my part. I just expected a slot machine to require coins to spin! I bought a roll of dimes to test it, I just didn't test it WITHOUT dimes. I also know that Mills uses an electric solenoid to lock the arm until a coin is inserted. I keep using Mills as an example because they are supposed to be EXACT copies...more about that later. So, I looked at the area where the solenoid should be.DSCF8557.JPGGONE! It could have been retracted and wired back. But it was removed completely. I don't have to remind you all how hard Japanese gambling machine parts can be to find! DSCF8558.JPG I tried retracting the plunger to see if it locked the mechanism...it did not. Therefore I am not sure if the solenoid was the only part removed. my best guess is because it requires 240 VAC (didn't take a pic of that sticker) to operate, and a 110 VAC cord is attached, I believe someone removed the solenoid, hopefully ONLY the solenoid, in order to make it free play. This makes no sense to me...what is a slot machine, if it plays for free! Much less if it don't pay out! Which leads me to the payout. It has an electrical jackpot of $15 & $30. DSCF8563.JPG I removed the cover and screw that holds the tube for this pic. Looking into it with the tube removed, it cycles 1 dime at a time. Therefore it would have to cycle 150 times for a $15 win, and 300 times for a $30 win! The actual payout should be mechanical slides...but I cant tell what is under this cover!DSCF8564.JPG You can see an electric solenoid from the back side.DSCF8562.JPG As well as a lack of springs to return the mechanical slides!

7. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

some things are like my sega... some things are totaly different.. im not sure how i missed your first post.. neat machine hope you get it sorted..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not sure how you missed it either...I expected to hear from you sooner. I do have a favor to ask...can you take a pic of one (or both...more?) of your machines in the area of the missing solenoid that locks the pay arm. Does it stop the mechanism from cycling, even if out of the cabinet...or does something interfere with the arm (plate that presses on the mechanism inside the cabinet). I expect that it should lock the mechanism even outside the cabinet. I have only made 2 videos on pachinko machines...and I am not good at it, but I will try to make and post a video so you can compare how my arm should lock VS how yours lock. Does any of yours have a "test switch"DSCF8565.JPG If so, what does it test? My best guess is it simulates a coin, to unlock the arm, to cycle and test the machine. It is labeled 10 cent, and states $15 & $30 jackpots.DSCF8541.JPG But we both know they were made for European markets...makes me believe it was originally made for 6D (six pence?) coins, just like Brains Beer.brains beer 016.jpg The machine is labeled 240 VOLTS...so likely not supposed to be a dime machine. Maybe someone from the UK can tell me if US dimes were used in vending machines in 1972.The coin acceptor is made in USA, and has a 10 on it.DSCF8560.JPG This part would be easy to swap out...so it could have been easily converted to dimes. I think the size is close enough that the payout tube would work without modification. Like I said earlier, It accepts coins even though not plugged in...of course it has also been rigged for freeplay. Even still, the dime should grt stuck in the coin acceptor if no power. Here is the coil that powers the coin acceptor.DSCF8561.JPG It should NOT accept coins without power!

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think the royal mint has enough coins of their own both pre and post decimal. I don't think we had a need for US dimes
    Ian #UKPachinko

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your opinion was the one I was looking for! And was the answer I expected. although i knew of the existence of pre decimal and post decimal...i wasn't sure of how US currency played. I have been reasonably sure that the machine used UK currency. Brains Beer, pre decimal...this one, I don't know. Not that it really matters. Since the coin acceptor works on dimes, and to a lesser extent, the glass displays that...this works. As long as the payout accepts dimes is the next challenge. By the way...what replaced the 6D pre decimal coin? Was it a different size and weight. Clearly, machines couldn't use it (unless I am wrong), so...how easy was the change?
    By the way Drunken Clam, THANK YOU for your input. I don't know much about UK, so I was counting on you! THANKS!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Before my time. The only coins I know that ended up being the same size and weight is when the 2 shilling coin became the 10 pence. But this coin was then changed in the early nineties. As for the rest it's an internet job or someone of the generation before me
    Ian #UKPachinko

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I thought a 6d coin was a six pence. Was I wrong? How does the money compare?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

6d is a six pence. Two shillings is 24 pence don't get started on half a crown.

I'll have to ask my mother
    Ian #UKPachinko

17. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ill get ya some pics tonight
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A six pence (also called a tanner) probably turned in to a five pence coin . Still silver in colour, but slightly bigger, judging by pics on line
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 04-08-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

21. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

23. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sega windsor (11).jpgsega windsor (12).jpgsega windsor (13).jpgsega windsor (14).jpg

if ya want a different angle or better pic let me know

25. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Mopar! I took some pics of my Mills and Sega to compare.DSCF8566.JPGDSCF8568.JPG!st is Mills 2nd is Sega, both handle side of mechanism. DSCF8569.JPGDSCF8570.JPG here is the solenoid on the mills, I got in too close to show the hook that physically holds the arm, and the area where the solenoid was on the Sega. Pulling in the plunger does not lock the mechanism...so I fear other parts are missing. There is no hook to lock the arm on the Sega. I will take pics after work.DSCF8576.JPGDSCF8575.JPG Here is the part that confuses me. Why did they convert the mechanical payout to an electrical one? Note the lack of horizontal arms and the springs that retract the slides. Lack of slides as well, I'm sure...but haven't got to the box where they should be. The electric payout is controlled by these leaf switches.DSCF8572.JPG

27. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks like someone tried to build a better mouse trap.. ( nothing wrong with the original one).. my guess is the coin mech on the top is going to be more discriminating then a simple rod to make sure something is present.. and the payout motor setup you have will allow for grater payouts then an old school slide mech..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the pics Mopar! As far as the coin acceptor, I believe it has been changed to a US DIME acceptor. That probably is not a factor. As long as it pays out the dimes, I am cool. I have 6D coin acceptor for Brains Beer That I considered swapping out to a dime acceptor...but decided to keep it original, after sourcing 6D coins...I decided to leave it alone! This gives me the ability to check both machines with Dimes, or 6D coins.
    My biggest problem is...RIGGED FOR FREEPLAY!!! Clearly a solenoid has been removed!DSCF8590.JPG Can you post some pics that show how the solenoid you have mounts and hopefully a part number. I also am interested if your machine has this plate.DSCF8587.JPG At the bottom of the pic...the horizontal bar, with the large flathead screw at the 11o'clock to 5 o'clock position. This bar locks the bar in my next pic. DSCF8585.JPG This is at rest. When pulled without the solenoid moving the above mentioned horizontal bar, the lock bar in the last pic, moves toward the arm and hooks here...DSCF8586.JPG This action, physically stops movement of the arm...preventing FREEPLAY.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Parts SHOULD be able to be sourced by Mills parts. Mechanical parts at least! the electrical solenoid can be a problem. It it likely 240 VAC, and even when Mills used solenoids...they were for 110 VAC. I think this machine is missing the 'arm hook" as well as the "horizontal bar" along with the solenoid! I would LOVE to get these parts to restore it...but am a realistic person. I will search...but in order to make it work like I want (EXPECT) it to...here is my temporary plan. I noticed by comparing Mills to Sega...that the point of "working" is this part! I discovered that if this part is bent up...it will cause another part to miss a bar...Lets see if pics help!DSCF8594.JPG At rest the wedge with the large hole next to "5GB" will slide forward and engage "5GB". DSCF8597.JPGThis, "5GB"...is the trip dog that sets the entire mechanism in motion! If pulled "as is" the mechanism WILL CYCLE. If the "L" shaped "THING" is bent properly... Then, if no coin is inserted, then it will MISS "5GB". This will cause the handle to PULL, without CYCLING the mechanism! This may be my fix...because finding correct parts could be hard!

32. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

im sorry to ask for a day or two.. but... let me make a short vid of that in action.. ill try and get several points of view..

now the bad news.. if i remember right that solenoid is cracked on my machine.. so taking it out and messing with it a bunch is really really low on my "want to do list".. let me take a look and see whats up and ill consider pulling it for a part number.. (hope ya understand)

34. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast