Thread: Bidding on 2002 Aladdin Pachislo and Want to know if price is worth repair cost

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Bidding on 2002 Aladdin Pachislo and Want to know if price is worth repair cost

I placed a bid on a 2002 Aladdin pachislo machine for an auction that will occur in a couple of weeks near where I live. Normally, I have seen the machine selling for around $250-$325 + shipping (usually $100 between U.S. addresses). Most of the customers at the packed auction house had no clue what the machine was, beyond a slot machine that had Japanese writing on it, and I taught the people curious about this machine about how gambling works in Japan in pachinko and pachislo parlors: if the customers have no idea what this exactly is and note the machine takes tokens only --> gambling is totally illegal in Virginia, but you can own slot and gambling machines for entertainment.

I placed my absentee bid of $150.00 in our middle of nowhere town after I inspected the outside of the machine and found a badly stained English instruction manual and the outer surface appeared to be in clean condition. The inside of the machine for any damage or defective parts with a flashlight to find the following:

First, the machine appears to have the lock drilled out with a cheap sticker covering the keyhole and there is rust on the base plate of the jackpot coin dispensing machine where the coins circulate around the machine, which may just need some sanding or at worst, a replacement part. The machine has a key to the lock that appears to have been lost to the naked eye, but it was found by chance under the jackpot dispenser. I doubt it still works , considering the auction house simply taped the machine shut and stated that the machine works upon being plugged in, but this seems to be the easiest repair.

Second, the machine appears to be missing an overflow coin box // cup to catch extra tokens that are placed into the coin slot, which may be a basic repair.

Third, I could not see where the coin dispensing jackpot hopper drops the coins into the payout front tray, but this may be something I do not quite understand yet: I have restored 3 pachinkos and am trying to hire someone to help me build a table to become a floor model pachinko cabinet instead of a wall-mounted cabinet.

Was the bid of $150.00 reasonable considering that I may have to do minor repairs to this machine if it is able to play?

Now to talk repair // modification costs:

Considering that I will have to replace the lock, what would this part normally cost?

How much would a replacement coin overflow box cost?

Where // Who can I ask about installing a slot machine 1-armed bandit handle on the side of the machine if I win it?

Last, where can I buy some English decals to cover up the Japanese language decals around the play buttons if I win this?

Thanks again to my mechanical gizmo afficionados at pachitalk.com!!
    1 Nishijin B Battle of the Monkey & Crab Pachinko, 1 Sankyo 1987 Flying Carpet Pachinko complete with speaker disabling plug, & 1 Taiyo 2007 King Kong Pachi w/ Guile Brand "SONIC BOOM!!!!!" eardrum rupturing system

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bidding on 2002 Aladdin Pachislo and Want to know if price is worth repair c

you could drill a hole in the top and run a heavy wire to operate the door latch

most of us don't have or need an overflow box

there are threads here for installing an arm
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

3. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bidding on 2002 Aladdin Pachislo and Want to know if price is worth repair c

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    you could drill a hole in the top and run a heavy wire to operate the door latch

most of us don't have or need an overflow box

there are threads here for installing an arm
    That is how I open Lucky Cherry!lock 001.jpglock 002.jpg Works like a charm!

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good to hear the news about all this -- looks like if I win, the hopper should be able to get fixed relatively easily from the instructions I have seen.

Anyhow, is my bid of $150.00 reasonable for this machine, considering that the auction is in the middle of nowhere in an old country warehouse on an old road with very few that may know what the machine is?
    1 Nishijin B Battle of the Monkey & Crab Pachinko, 1 Sankyo 1987 Flying Carpet Pachinko complete with speaker disabling plug, & 1 Taiyo 2007 King Kong Pachi w/ Guile Brand "SONIC BOOM!!!!!" eardrum rupturing system

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Almost forgot --- I do not think the key will be the problem; the problem that may lie within is being able to keep the door closed if the original lock was drilled out. Are there any suggestions on finding parts to make a replacement latch like the one that you suggested, Pachiwall!

Thank you, Pachiwall!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if the key is drilled out, the latch assembly should still be there, it a long bar that goes from the bottom on the door to the top, usually with two hook latches on it

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Complete latch assemblies do appear on the Japanese auctions, but it wouldn't really be cost effective unless you are a stickler for origininality. Probably cost with shipping $50-75 for one. Then you got to make sure you get a key with it
    Ian #UKPachinko

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

this sounds like all good news then. hopefully my bid will win next week!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I won the machine and think this will ultimately be a profitable item. However, I would like to get some help from Pachislo experts here before I continue, having both good news and bad news on the follow-up to the question on the machine I now own:

First and foremost, pictures will be available of my machine within the next 2 weeks of all the areas where I need to repair the machine or have performed repairs, but please be nice to me as I am totally new to slot machine restorations.
    First, the Good News // Easy Advice requests :

1. I won the machine and paid about $127 for the machine when I picked up the machine today at the auction house: is this a reasonable price, considering that I may need to sink about $50-$100 max into repairs before I sell it to on the PachiTalk auction forum?

2. The machine appears to be mostly in good condition with the electronics inside being intact, but the main refurbishing issues seem to be easy to fix, likely just needing some cleaning and gluing to the outer wood surfaces.
    I do not intend to alter the machine to allow it to take actual money and want the machine to be for entertainment use only.

3. How much would shipping on these typically run, considering that I would likely ship the machine by freight, in a padded, sturdy cardboard shipping box? Is asking around $100-$125 (depending on weight of the machine) reasonable? I ask this as I am only planning to sell the machine within the Continental United States to states where private household customers can legally own a machine.

4. The machine has come with an English manufacturer's instruction booklet and most parts inside and out are labeled in English, but there are some buttons that are only in Japanese. Is there anyone here that could sell me stickers or veneers written in English to replace the labels that are printed in Japanese or that have nothing written around them stating their purpose, but that would help family members coming over to play know what they do (e.x. Jackpot dispenser, wagering credits option button, credits played, credits won from the last game)?

The Bad News and Repair Advice Needed (AKA: Who can help me with these bigger fixes and how much do these often cost?)

1. Where can I buy or find a printed repair manual for Pachislo machines from Japan?

I took off the sticker that was covering the keyhole where the lock should be and inspected everything again on pickup, with lock replacement seeming to be the biggest repair cost. The lock has totally been smashed out along with some chunks the surrounding plastic framework that held the lock in place, having about a 1 inch by 2 inch hole in the front of the machine, where it looks like someone took a drill or sledge hammer and leaving uneven borders. Currently the machine is being held shut with duck tape (temporary solution), but I want to see who can help me with the following answers to repair this:

A. How would I rebuild the plastic to support a replacement frame that would otherwise hold the lock // keyhole to keep the machine shut? Is this a relatively easy
    repair, as I know someone that has plastic welding supplies that owns a local hobby shop? Alternatively, would consulting with a locksmith be a better choice
    for repairing the damaged hole where the lock was removed and if so, what would this typically cost versus me doing a DIY repair?

B. As an alternative to replacing the entire locking mechanism, what would be the best way to have a slotted piece of metal come through the hole? Could
    screwing a slotted piece of metal to wooden block to be screwed to the inner frame along with drilling out the fractures and damaged edges of the lock be
    reasonable?
    3. What is the best way to remove light rust (about a 1-2 inch circle without eroding through the plate) from the bottom plate of the coin dispensing hopper?

A. Would sandpaper work as an option to do a simple repair for rust removal?

4. The black wooden // plastic covered wood outer frame has some separation on the bottom edge of the machine, along with a small 2 inch wedge (still with the
    machine) having been chipped off the corner on the back of the machine. Both areas appear to just need some glue and a vice to hold them in place while the
    glue settles.

A. What type of glue is recommended to fix these areas: Wood Glue, Super Glue (for the corner chip), or Epoxy Glue?

B. Could I use any type of vice that would fit into the areas that need to be clamped down or is there a specific vice that is recommendeD?

5. The coin hopper also appears to be loose with coins sliding in between the coin openings on the hopper versus only staying in their assigned holes. Is this normal or is it just an area where I need to tighten the screws?

6. The coin hopper also seems to have an overflow slot on the side, but no specific cup or bucket that may have come with the machine. Would a regular plastic cup do to catch any overflowing coins falling into the overflow slot?

7. How does the coin slot work? Is the slot supposed to automatically reject any coins that normally would be played if the machine were turned on and working?
    If the coin acceptor in the slot is broken, how much would a replacement cost and where // who would have the best options available?

Last but not least, I will eventually provide pictures this week or next to show the before results pictures and areas where I need repair advice. After I finish the major repair areas, I will also plan to show the after results pictures, as I did with my Flying Carpet Pachinko by Sankyo. Thanks again for the advice and I hope the pictures will be a treat for others to see while I fix my machine!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the one thing you didn't mention was "does it work right now??"

if you bought it to fix and make a profit, you won't get the same money you will have to put into it.

most of the many machines i've sold were sold for less then i paid.

it is a hobby and most of us treat it that way

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now that I have tested the machine, it is definitely a working machine and plays fine, but the repairs may not be as bad as I thought

1. The reset key slot was smashed in, the key was severed off, and I have ordered a replacement to replace the damaged key and key slot that are compatible with the machine.

2. The machine definitely has some staining and slightly mildew inside the wooden cabinet, but this should be able to get fixed with some hot, soapy water and bleach or ammonia

3. The coin hopper works perfectly fine and again, it just has a tiny bit of rust on part of the inside plate and looks to mainly be dirty

4. The outer lock on the machine was smashed in, probably with a sledge hammer, but the machine plays perfectly fine with the door being propped closed. This, for me, will likely be the hardest repair, as I know nothing about rebuilding plastic or metal pieces, but a local locksmith may be the easiest solution. Again, this may just need a simple slotted rectangular metal strip screwed onto a scrap piece of wood, and a regular nut // bolt would probably be fine to hold the door shut, so that when I have my little nieces and nephews over, they do not open the machine and spill tokens all over the place.

5. The slightly separated wood on a few lower sides of the machine will likely just need a vice and wood glue, thanks to what I learned from my favorite teacher, the internet!

Other information I need advice on:

As the reset key was broken off, the odds button LED does not turn on nor do the odds change when the button is pushed. When the inner reset lock is replaced, should this fix the odds LED // button?

Last but not least, even if I do not sell it, I am really looking forward to playing with the machine as I have wanted to own a slot machine since childhood.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Almost forgot --- the long key latch on the front door is still completely in tact. The lock itself seems to have been smashed in with a sledge hammer, but the latch moves perfectly fine. I guess I am a completionist when I seek to restore toys // games // game systems // pachinkos or pachislos, trying to reach as far to the sky as I can with a limited budget and amount of free time while being in school full time and seeking work

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Cheverisi View Post
    Almost forgot --- I do not think the key will be the problem; the problem that may lie within is being able to keep the door closed if the original lock was drilled out. Are there any suggestions on finding parts to make a replacement latch like the one that you suggested, Pachiwall!

Thank you, Pachiwall!!!
    Are the hooks of the latch, and the corresponding plates that they hook onto still intact? It sounds like not, as you are usig duct tape to hold it shut. My modification is to open the existing latch mechanism...with or without a lock cylinder. My lock cylinder is incorrect because even when I pick the lock, the trip dog does not engage the lock bar properly to activate the hooks. My modification lifts the hooks that are already locking the machine shut. This works for a "lift" style hook. If the hook "lowers" to unlatch, then a different approach needs to be made. An electric solenoid, for example. Rockston did this to a MillionGod , however I can't find that thread right now. If the lock rod and hooks have been removed, then NONE of this matters. Then you will need to find a suitable replacement set, or fabricate a latch of some sort.
    Post some pics of your situation, that will help to find a solution.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is an example I found o youtube : push button door latch modification - YouTube

20. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This one looks like Rockstons video...but I am not sure what name he uses on youtube. -God Mod- Push Button Entry and Reset - YouTube

22. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall