Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Restoring 3 STAR arrangeball

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not sure why all the difficulty? My order of operations for reassembly is:
    New cel installed then hammer in nails. You don't want to hammer nails in after attaching playfield to frame because its harder to move the whole thing around and to bend and align nails properly. After nails are in then I install the ball tracks. If you install these before they sorta get in the way of hammering in nails near the tracks. Lastly I attach the pockets, etc. I don't put any shooter parts on until its on the frame.
    Once all that's done I use wood screws in the old nail or screw holes to attach from the rear. Everything always lines up perfectly. The only trouble I've ever had was getting the cel alignment right but once I figured out a system, it was easy.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You are using all the original holes for the attachment screws, right?

4. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Restoring 3 STAR arrangeball

For the wood spacers between the frame and background I use 1-1/4" 3d nails. Then I use #8 1-1/4" countersink wood screws for the background. Oh and a little glue between the frame and spacers. No glue on the background.

I also use all the original holes on the spacers and the background.

100 machines and counting...

6. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Not sure why all the difficulty? My order of operations for reassembly is:
    New cel installed then hammer in nails. You don't want to hammer nails in after attaching playfield to frame because its harder to move the whole thing around and to bend and align nails properly. After nails are in then I install the ball tracks. If you install these before they sorta get in the way of hammering in nails near the tracks. Lastly I attach the pockets, etc. I don't put any shooter parts on until its on the frame.
    Once all that's done I use wood screws in the old nail or screw holes to attach from the rear. Everything always lines up perfectly. The only trouble I've ever had was getting the cel alignment right but once I figured out a system, it was easy.
    Not sure why the difficulty myself. I had hoped the spacer strips would stay on the frame. But they stayed on the background, one of them split just a little. The nails bent as the pry bar curved, I used a spacer block to minimize bending of the nails, along with enlonging the holes,and compression of the wood. The wood spacers did not want to come off the background easily as they seemed to be glued. This didn't make sense as the cell design was between the spacers and plywood. Maybe the adhesive frm the cell was wet when the wood was attached to the spacers. A putty knife was used to separate the two and some lamination from the background stuck to the strips in places. I straightened the nails out as best as I could, and hammered them in to just allow about 3/16" of the tips exposed to use as guides to glue them back onto the frame. When I put the screws into the holes of the background, they find the holes in the strips, although not perfectly aligned (some felt like they were on the edges of the holes rather than center), it seemed like everything was going good. I put the ball track on 1st...1- because I didn't know any better, and 2- because I was eager to see if I centered the background properly. As the last one went on, the bottom most rail that the hammer protrudes through, it was way off. DSCF8498.JPG The screws are not in the shooter lever in this pic, but it didn't make a difference. As mentioned earlier, I haven't stapled the safety wire yet, so I will remove the ball track in order to install the nails. I can't find any stainless steel safety wire. I don't have it next to me to see what it is called, some sort of bailing wire...I think it was called utility wire. Maybe I will just remove the rails, unclamp the background, and install the nails...looking for stainless safety wire in the meantime.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There is a Grainger locally...I'll check them out!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

harbor freight has it too as i'm sure many other places. it's used to secure nuts to bolts in high vibration areas such as engine mounts, machine gun mounts, etc. i think it differs from bailing wire in the gauge and it's stainless steel.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I pick it up at a local family owned hardware store. (Not many of those left here) They have a very wide selection of bolts and stuff.

100 machines and counting...

14. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, Mounting the cell wasn't that bad. The spacer strips weren't located perfectly, so choosing the wrong screw hole to start with makes a big difference. Trying to line it up without screws, and clamping it in place is also bad. This time, I started with the hole closest to the shooter, then the hole diagonally opposite. Looked good,so I continued even if the holes didn't line up perfectly. Seems to have worked. DSCF8539.JPG Added some plastic parts. When reviewing pics, I discovered that I forgot a piece of tin.DSCF8376.JPG I also know where that aluminum nail that the buffing wheel tossed across the room goes! DSCF8540.JPGI should have straightened the nails out as I installed them...will probably be harder now.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Been tough to find time to work on the machine...but got a little more done! Had trouble finding an adequate subsitute for the rebound bumper since the original one crumbled. It broke into pieces while I was playing it before I took it apart. It was green, and hollow. It wasn't hard...but not particularly soft...probably hardened over the years. It did not take well to being glued back together, so I threw it away...I should have taken a pic first. I found a soft rubber bottle stopper as it was the best subsitute I could find. It is tapered, but I couldn't find a straight walled rubber plug. I pit the big end out, thinking the effect would be to deflect the ball toward the cell. I used a brass colored "BELL FRUIT 2 1/2P" token as a washer on top. I had to file it to shape.DSCF8603.JPGDSCF8605.JPG I positioned it hoping that the words "BELL FRUIT" would be visible along the edge of the scoreboard as a joke!DSCF8609.JPGDid not work as planned. Not gonna try to redo it. None of my friends would have noticed it anyhow! They would have thought BELL FRUIT was a Japanese part anyhow! The rubber stopper is very soft, and I expect it to have a lively action...although I haven't fired any balls yet.DSCF8610.JPG I used some new brass nails for the tin on the back. they were longer than the rusty steel nails that were there, so they have a real good "bite". Not a good thing if I need to remove one, as I found out when I finally remembered where this part went! DSCF8611.JPGDSCF8614.JPG I simply could NOT get the nail out, it should have gone through both pieces of tin. I did not realize it until too late. It is pretty secure, so I am not going to drill another hole next to it for another nail. It should be OK. It still makes me mad.I can't find the aluminum nails that hold the back cover in place! I went to LOWES looking for an adequate subsitute. Didn't like any of the available nails, and thought I would have to enlarge the holes to accept #6 X 1 1/4" screws...only because I couldn't find #4 X 1 1/4 screws. I did use #4 X 1" stainless steel screws, and they seem to be long enough, and fit the original holes well!DSCF8615.JPG Got to be in early tomorrow, so no more fixing tonight! Hopefully I will be getting more done soon!
    Last edited by pachiwall; 04-17-2014 at 01:15 AM.

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I forgot to post my sideways picture of the front!DSCF8607.JPG

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sanding the box. OMG! More work than expected. Belt sander with 80 grit. Followed with block and hand sanding with 100 grit. Sanding smooth VERY ROUGH routed out areas for various clearances. Absolutely ruining originality! I should be SHAMED! However, it will look very nice! This is what I want.

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK! I finally fell prey to "GOOD ENOUGH SYNDROME"! Got tired of sanding. 80 grit belt sander, 100 grit block and hand sanding, followed by the same with 220 grit. Probably about 5 hours of sanding. I hate sanding! The results are rewarding, especially if you don't take shortcuts and sand longer than you want to...but I hate sanding.DSCF8623.JPG Still has dust on it. DSCF8624.JPG Pics don't really show how good it looks. DSCF8296.JPG Here is the bottom corner before. I didn't take any before shots. By the way...DON'T use these bulbs! They run WAY too hot! Burned wood, and I had a serious concern about setting the machine on fire!DSCF8303.JPG The recessed areas were extremely rough, with hair like fibers standing up.DSCF8622.JPG Of course I sanded them smooth. I was going to give it my usual treatment of boiled linseed oil, but couldn't find the can. I did find a partial can of Minwax, polysomething clear, that cleans up with water. Not trying to drive anywhere or spend money...I decided to use it. Not sure I like that decision. Takes 2 hours between coats, and recommends 220 grit sanding between coats. Sounds like more time and effort than boiled linseed oil. Plus I know what to expect out of the oil finish...it makes the wood GLOW! Professional wood workers don't seem to like it, but I have had favorable results with it. We will just see how the Minwax looks.

24. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks nice. I love linseed oil and have used it for many years on my gun stocks.
    Keep up the good work.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love boiled linseed oil too! Consistent results and easy to apply. Purchased for my M1 Garand, used on my pachi's as well! Can't find my can, and wanted to finish NOW...so I used this instead.DSCF8627.JPG 2 hour dry time, and 220 grit sanding between coats. I don't like it already. Left over from something. More work than linseed oil. Looks good so far. I radiused the edges of the handles.DSCF8629.JPGDSCF8630.JPGDSCF8632.JPGDSCF8633.JPG Probably not the right thing to do to a rare machine...but did it anyway. I already changed the cell and am going to convert to LED lights...so originality is gone anyhow! I am curious as to others opinions on the changes...good or bad. Let me have it if I deserve it! I am just making it so I enjoy it. Not worried about resale value...not for sale unless things are out of control anyhow!Opinions from those who do not own arangeballs are welcome as well. I figure it is way better off modified, compared to it's original sad shape it was in when I got it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Opinions from those who do not own arangeballs are welcome as well. I figure it is way better off modified, compared to it's original sad shape it was in when I got it.
    i dont see anything wrong with whay you have done.. changing the cell would not be high on my list... but as you stated your not selling it so why not make more to your liking.. and it is better then when you got it
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

29. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I forgot to post my sideways picture of the front!DSCF8607.JPG

those sideways pictures of the front are always a head turner

31. The following user says "Thanks" to Phulkrum

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just a teaser.DSCF8635.JPG I just laid these parts down with attaching them. Just to see how it looks. The can suggested 3 coats...but I used 6 coats, sanding with 220 grit between coats.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 04-22-2014 at 12:15 PM.

33. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Mounted the major components.DSCF8638.JPG Gonna take the transformer off and clear coat the bare metal bracket. It had rust, that cleaned off and left pitting. If left bare, it will rust again. It will be much harder to clean up when assembled.
    I also have to calculate what value resistors to use for the LEDs.

35. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks really nice. Make sure you use resistors with enough wattage or you can double up on the resistors to better dissipate the heat.

37. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast