Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bally Expressway

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bally Expressway

since i wrote that post i haven't encountered a sleeve i couldn't pull out. i made a block of wood with a hole drilled in it to provide support for the coil itself. i have a nut driver that is the perfect fit to tap into the coil and push the sleeve out. i also use a socket that has a "stem" on it to chuck into a drill or changeable bit screwdriver. this works well for the really stubborn ones since holding the nut driver just so to get it started can be tricky at times.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

an addendum to the gameplay:
    there's a feature/aspect of the game that I didn't know of till I read about it on a forum. It turns out that the upper left alley that scores 3k was not shooting the ball to the correct spot. I thought it was supposed to award the points and shoot the ball back into play like a typical kicker which is what it was doing. . what the ball is actually supposed to do is come out of that upper left kickout alley, cross the top of the playfield and go into the right side "mileage score" alley. in the pic there are cars in the blue line going from left to right and this is the path the ball follows. the upper left plastic has to be adjusted correctly to guide the ball. when I reassembled the machine I wasn't aware of this and moving it a few degrees made the difference.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420499806.440265.jpg

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

emmadog.....would be great to see a video of this thing in action!

Nice job on the playing field! You got that down!
    Joe

5. The following user says "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJFrSFkoAo
    here's a vid of somemone else's machine on youtube. he's a good player and manages to light the entire EXPRESSWAY sequence. however he never gets a ball in the left alley so that it will kick out across the playfield into the right "Mileage Score" and collect the bonus which is a cool feature to see especially on an old EM. I'll take a vid of mine doing that and post it later.

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmPp_lkyGtE
    Quick vid I did showing the ball heading into the expressway alley. The first time the ball hits the right pop bumper and is knocked in but the 2nd time the ball is directed in properly. About 10% of the time the ball fails to make it in. I could tweak it some more but I figure 9 out of 10 times is pretty good with the playfield angle that I like my games set at.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love that knockout where it flies across the playing field....very cool! Bally had some really cool pins during this time. The two I've owned is Dixieland and 4 Million BC...loved them both, but there's always something else out there!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAGQHpXRxE
    much better vid though its still a narrow view because of my phone. i narrate in this one and describe all the features.

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jodini View Post
    I love that knockout where it flies across the playing field....very cool! Bally had some really cool pins during this time. The two I've owned is Dixieland and 4 Million BC...loved them both, but there's always something else out there!
    i regret being a gottlieb snob for so long because i know i missed out on some great bally pins. those two you had are great ones from everything i've read.
    that kickout feature across the "expressway" is really cool and to think me and my girl put about a hundred games on it b4 i realized it was supposed to that. for this last video i didn't want to go thru the whole gameplay spiel and then have it not work. so i removed the plastic and adjusted the kicker paddle so it hits the ball more to the right. this forces the ball to better follow the curve of the plastic so that no matter the force of the hit (the force does slightly vary at times) the ball still follows the same curve and over into the right kickout. so far so good and has gone in every time.
    the original video in post 24 has been deleted.
    i'll be starting a thread at some point on my Capersville. it took me locating 3 of these hard to find machines to get enough parts to make a complete one for a restoration candidate. all of them have broken plastics but luckily i have a complete set of unbroken ones now, one has no backglass and is busted up because the previous owner dropped it off the back of a truck, plenty of missing parts, etc. i just sent the playfield out to get professionally restored and ill be repainting the cab and head installing new parts, etc. not looking forward to cleaning 21 score reels...
    for the first time i disassembled a pinball score motor. no big deal but it's worth noting that although it operated properly, the grease inside had set up to where it was providing some resistance. easy enough to remedy though.

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like the second video!

Gottlieb snob...ha! Me too! But Bally from this era had some great sounds with the bell, so I like the Ballys. I don't enjoy the sounds of the chime box on the other Ballys. For example, I had a Bally Chicago Coin, Air Aces, and Hocus Pocus and sold they all because I hated the tiny chimes (and williams is even worse (Space Odessy). Gottlieb Chime boxes just sound better....my opinion of course.

Can't wait to see your Capersville! I'll be watching!

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Haven't heard bally chime boxes but I do like the bells. i also like the fact that bells can be adjusted to sound on 10, 100, or 1000 points or a some combination. bally has other cool features that gotts don't such as easier to access score motor switches and the bottom relay board can be propped up inside the machine. i also prefer the lift up style of Backglass as opposed to sliding out. ive got my pins in my basement and some are behind the 6x6 support posts so I can't slide out the glass unless I shift the machine left or right. my bally glass just lifts up and is easily removed.
    capersville is going to be a months long project as most pin projects are. i hope to have it done for the summer.

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2