Thread: POPEYE and SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER PACHISLOS AVAILABLE- NOT FUNCTIONING!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default POPEYE and SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER PACHISLOS AVAILABLE- NOT FUNCTIONING!

Folks-
    I hope you are all well.
    I have unearthed more pachislos for sale!

First- we have a non-functioning Popeye (see pic). I don't know whats wrong with it- but it won't power on. I can't find the key either. It was originally wired for 24V and I have no idea what has happened. This was not one of our company machines, rather something that was bought on the secondary market for nostalgic reasons, and now is taking up space here. Maybe it's useful and maybe its fixable? It looks great and has very minor signs of wear.

Next, I have a Saturday Night Fever. This was a project we worked on, and was an unused commercial sample never played in a hole. Diagnosing it- I have no memory of it being 'blown out', but the electrical cord is missing, and there is a green wire cut internally. Again, this is an aesthetically beautiful machine, and I do have both the internal & external keys. Please see pics.

I welcome your questions and offers (please send any offers via PM). Please keep in mind that in order for me to get these to you (looking like they do now), our cost will be approximately $150 for shipping and stellar packing- these are more expensive and heavier than pachinko! These can also be picked up in San Francisco by appointment.
    IMG_3095.jpgIMG_3096.jpgIMG_3101.jpgIMG_3104.jpgIMG_3105.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mrlax - american pachi-pro

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to mrlax

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: POPEYE and SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER PACHISLOS AVAILABLE- NOT FUNCTIONING!

perhaps someone accidently plugged it into house current?

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: POPEYE and SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER PACHISLOS AVAILABLE- NOT FUNCTIONING!

Hi Compirate- I'm really not sure what is wrong with the POPEYE machine- it seems to be either fried or have some blown fuse or something along those lines. My other issue is not having a functional key for the external door at this time!
    As for the Saturday Night Fever- this is missing a power cord and needs some re-wiring. I believe the power cord was cut and re-purposed- I don't remember when or why, but this is my novice diagnosis! Thanks!

5. The following user says "Thanks" to mrlax

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am in need of a power supply for popeye. My supply box is no good. But it sounds like yours is no good either. why don't you test it. Its easy. This slot must have the 24 volt transformer and that 24 volts goes into the plug on the mail power supply can box.

Wally

7. The following user says "Thanks" to wallytrek

Thanks
    Thanks Received

@wally- Thanks for the message. We have tested the Popeye- no juice. Unfortunately we are still looking for the key- for whatever reason we can't seem to find it, and this is a model we haven't directly worked on so no other keys are fitting! I wish I had better news/info on this. I'll keep you posted and send pics of the 'guts' if we find the key. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was the charitable guy and bought the Popeye basket case. After dismantling the lock from the outside, and working some levers with the help from a very long screwdriver and an electronic borescope, I was able to open the Popeye cabinet. "Just reach in from the bottom and..." Hah! Not possible when there is a coin box blocking the bottom hole. "Just remove the plate on the back..." Oh yeah, like that hole is big enough for two arms, cause you will need two hands to simultaneously release two levers. Ok, I will stop complaining.

Anyway, the power supply was shot. Someone put 110vac into the 24vac cord. Well, it does look exactly the same and does fit an outlet, and you would expect it to go there. Yeah, there is a "24VAC" label on the cord, but damn, how many regular cords have annoying labels? Its an honest mistake to plug it into a wall outlet.

Continuing, the fuse inside is vaporized, yet there were no other signs of damage.
    popeye_fuse.JPG
    Well, blow me down!

When the fuse is replaced and proper 24vac applied, the fuse blows again. So its time to play detective. So far, a bipolar diode is suspicious (all leads are common), and a couple of MOVs are suspect (because they were first in line with the 110 vac).

I got a feeling that the fix will be easy, just a lot of soldering. We'll see. Wish me luck!

Thanks again to Mr. Lax!
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to heima

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My problem is the same someone plugged it in 110 volt wall plug and blew the componants. I took it to a shop he found 10 bad componants and only 1 he could not purchase from a supply house as they do not sell single power transistors only by the lot of 500 so I am stuck with the same issue. I search for a replacement power supply but no luck. Soon to go in the trash.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by wallytrek View Post
    My problem is the same someone plugged it in 110 volt wall plug and blew the componants. I took it to a shop he found 10 bad componants and only 1 he could not purchase from a supply house as they do not sell single power transistors only by the lot of 500 so I am stuck with the same issue. I search for a replacement power supply but no luck. Soon to go in the trash.
    have you got a picture or part specs. I'll have a look at the UK suppliers for you
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 02-11-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice meeting you yesterday, Heima! I hope you enjoyed your visit to our pachinko paradise and I sincerely wish you good luck in fixing Rocky & Popeye!!

14. The following user says "Thanks" to mrlax

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mrlax View Post
    Nice meeting you yesterday, Heima! I hope you enjoyed your visit to our pachinko paradise and I sincerely wish you good luck in fixing Rocky & Popeye!!
    Thanks Mr.Lax. Rocky was a piece of cake! The transformer was bad. Easy fix! I have never seen a pachinko with a ball vibrator. Go figure.

WIth the Popeye, I was wrong, its not a bipolar diode, its a schottky barrier diode. Here I am in the Silicon Valley, and NOBODY has a replacement. So I am ordering some from ebay, coming from Hong Kong.

Wally, the part I am ordering looks like a power transistor, but is not. The part number is FCH30A06, is this the same component that you had difficulty finding? There are five of them screwed to a large heat sink.
    Da' Horse!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This one is almost the same spec. but slightly lower values, but the closest I can find to the original,

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rectif...iodes/5412543/
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks DC, I saw those in my search for a replacement.

The VS-30CPQ060PBF at RS is of the wrong package and will not mount correctly. Shucks!

The MBR3060CT is cheating on the specs. Its only 15 amps per diode, hence 15x2=30. What the heck?

So I found the FCH30A06 on eBay, and just ordered it. Heck, it is an exact replacement. You can't go wrong with that.
    Now to find a super short right-angle philips screwdriver. Otherwise, I have to desolder 5 more TO220 packages and 8 large mounting studs for the heatsink.
    They really don't make electronics repairable anymore.
    Da' Horse!

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to heima

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have the Sears Craftsman Mini Right Angle ratchet screwdriver. It is a TRULY useful tool the screw heads are interchangeable too...
    I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Its alive
    Its Alive!
    ITS ALIVE!!

YES!

That FCH30A06 did the trick!
    I had to do a complete reset, but it is now working!
    popeye_alive.jpg
    So a few questions because I can't seem to find the answers:

1. Can this be set to 1 coin bets? Or is it always 3?
    2. What are win units and what can I do with them? Hitting max bet deletes them. Cashing out does not receive coins for them.
    3. Is there anyway to verify that everything is functioning normally? The LED don't light behind the reels, do I need to reach a bonus round to make that happen, or is there a way to initiate a all light test? When I do a odds change, the green and clear LEDs of the front bezel light, but...
    4. I have it set at odds #6, but still this thing sure does suck down coins. If the odds are greater than 100%, then how often might I expect a bonus round?
    5. Is there any manual specific to the Popeye? I have a couple of generic pachislo manuals from here and the web.

Thanks all.

UPDATE, While uploading the picture, I just hit a bonus round. Nope, the LED in the reels did not come on.
    Da' Horse!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh dear, but at least most of it works
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by heima View Post
    1. Can this be set to 1 coin bets? Or is it always 3?

5. Is there any manual specific to the Popeye? I have a couple of generic pachislo manuals from here and the web.
    Glad to hear it's coming alive!!

1) Popeye is a 'Max bet' only machine, so it will always operate on 3 tokens per play.

5) As you know these are Japanese machines and don't tend to have what we would call 'manuals' (well nothing in English anyway, the manufacturers may have tech manuals for the parlours?)

Sometimes you see for sale, the little promo 'booklet' guides for the specific machines, again these are usually written in Japanese and have mostly pictures. Nothing technical, just little promo guide things.

Your pachislo is a 2005 Sammy model and here is a link that shows you some of the details and perhaps the pics that may also be in the promo booklets?

It also gives the odds settings and payout ratios

Google Translate

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

25. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Hanabi.
    I guess I need to figure out why the reel LEDs don't light.
    Unless it is one of those things where you just have to play it enough to get it to light.
    I know that on some pachinkos, you have to have a fever before certain LEDs will light. And the LEDs have nothing to do with gameplay.
    Da' Horse!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

have a view of this one. See if there is any difference.

The Pachisho EP#3a Popeye (Blue7s) - YouTube
    Ian #UKPachinko

28. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the video DC. I have seen most of that on-screen video, bonuses and such on my pachislo. However, in this YT video, the light is coming from the reels. In mine, no light is coming from the reels. The fluorescent bulb that lights the front of the reels does dim on occasion. There are plenty of LEDs behind the reels. And I have a hard time believing that the 110vac zap took out the reel LEDs and nothing else. I guess I will have to post over in the service area.

Thanks for the help so far.
    Da' Horse!