Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Capt Card

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Capt Card

The machine made it here and I've for it up and running. A couple of issues on start up as per the norm after a cross country trip. I'll sort those out while I'm disassembling and cleaning the stepper units and my normal routine for a newly acquired pin. The cab is a 7, playfield maybe a 7.5, and the back glass is pretty much shot. Severe paint flaking which is interesting because someone already triple thicked it (clear coating used to prevent flaking). The paint very likely flaked during the trip here as it was exposed to freezing temps on its way from the East coast. No worries though as this place: bgresto.com will exchange your old backglass for a new one. They use an interesting process to fuse the new artwork to a new piece of glass. They don't have to have a license from the pinball companies since they're not putting additional art on the market due to the exchange requirement. They're doing the pinball community a huge service. Anyway, after the Diamond Jack is done I'll restore this one as well and in the meantime play the hell out of it.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Capt Card

stinks about the backglass but the game does look cool. i need more money...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've seen amazing things with packing tape! Take those cracks down! Or do the triple thick and saran wrap trick!

bgresto.com - Hope you don't mind the wait! Waited 3 months for mine and wish I kept the original.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    stinks about the backglass but the game does look cool. i need more money...
    It's a bummer in general but I knew when I bough the machine I was going to replace the BG anyway.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jodini View Post
    I've seen amazing things with packing tape! Take those cracks down! Or do the triple thick and saran wrap trick!

bgresto.com - Hope you don't mind the wait! Waited 3 months for mine and wish I kept the original.
    It's just too far gone. I've triple thicked and done the Saran Wrap before and it does work. However I don't think the results will be what I'm looking for. I spoke with Steve of bgresto for about an hour the other day. They've got a new process that's better than how they were doing it. They now also print ink on the rear of the BG in the areas thy light shines through to handle the saturation issues. He said his BGs are about 80% as bright as the original glass and that can be increased by LEDs and/or 44's. I'm also going to line the backboard with reflective mylar in the shine-through areas. I was quoted 4 weeks or so since the artwork Capt Card has already been done so they're just printing a new one. We'll see.
    Here's some pics of the playfield during as after the alcohol and magic eraser treatment. I was able to remove a lot of the swirl marks and dirt. Also is a pic of a new rubber kit, schematic and LEDs. LEDs are controversial in EMa but I think they're great for inserts. For the general illumination around the playfield and backglass I stick with bulbs. Some before and afters.

7. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Last pic:

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that is a sharp looking game. love the colors. again, i need more money and space. As it is what was supposed to be a play room for my kids is far from it at this point...

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Magic eraser and LED's on an EM...burn him! He's a witch!

I'm with ya emma dog! Magic eraser does such a great job and then Novus 2 on top...and I think under the playing field the LEDs will look great!

Will watch with great interest!

Cool about the new process on the BG. Can't wait to see the results!

13. The following user says "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that is a sharp looking game. love the colors. again, i need more money and space. As it is what was supposed to be a play room for my kids is far from it at this point...
    Space is always an issue with pins. Money is too but if you look around and get project games, they can be cheaper than pachinkos.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Magic eraser and LED's on an EM...burn him! He's a witch!

I'm with ya emma dog! Magic eraser does such a great job and then Novus 2 on top...and I think under the playing field the LEDs will look great!

Will watch with great interest!

Cool about the new process on the BG. Can't wait to see the results!
    The Novus really brought out the shine on this playfield.
    I still haven't played a game yet. I resolved one issue which was the large stepper unit in the cab. Someone greased the hell out of it long ago so the solenoid couldn't pull in and the brass rivet contacts were also providing resistance due to the build up. The wheel would just stutter instead of advance one step. I took it apart and put a new sleeve in the solenoid and cleaned the plunger. Light sandpaper on the brass rivets and shoes followed by magic eraser and alcohol to clean it all up. Then a light coat of superlube Teflon on the rivets as per all the old greybeard EM junkies. I also replaced the springs on the stepper unit and it now runs like a champ. Only issue left is a sluggish kickout hole.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Space is always an issue with pins. Money is too but if you look around and get project games, they can be cheaper than pachinkos.
    Yep they are big. I keep looking how to expand my play area My issue with projects, which I really enjoy projects, is that I don't know enough about EM games to know if everything is fixable or even there. I do want to find a newer machine (when I say newer I mean 50s through 70s as that is still 20 years or more newer than my current machines) this year. I keep looking but not finding...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have my Super-8 which I am just starting on and then 2 pachinkos to do then I want to find a newer pin and hope I can afford it and sell my wife on it...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep they are big. I keep looking how to expand my play area My issue with projects, which I really enjoy projects, is that I don't know enough about EM games to know if everything is fixable or even there. I do want to find a newer machine (when I say newer I mean 50s through 70s as that is still 20 years or more newer than my current machines) this year. I keep looking but not finding...
    They're out there and it seems the East coast is where most pinballs reside. As far as fixing them, they're pretty much always fixable. There's no hard to find or proprietary parts on these machines and they really don't break. What will happen is that a switch will get out of adjustment or the contacts get dirty. All you need are a few tools and a schematic and the pinball collecting community is huge so there's lots of knowledge and help out there.
    Looking forward to seeing your Super 8 progress. Makes me wish I would have brought my '37 Daily Races up here with me. Next time I head home to Louisiana for a Southern food fix, I'll have to see about shipping that thing back.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm with ya emmadog...I tend to clean up the playing field really good first and it motivates for me to make the rest of it work! Here's a project I'm working on right now. I used magic eraser on...you can see the first picture is half is done and the top is what it did look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's generally how I do it as well. The thing with EMs is that you know the game can be fixed (if its not working) and its usually something simple. With arrangeballs for example, I always get them running first because if I can't, then it may never get fixed so there's no use in cleaning it up.
    That playield looks great by the way, night and day.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    They're out there and it seems the East coast is where most pinballs reside. As far as fixing them, they're pretty much always fixable. There's no hard to find or proprietary parts on these machines and they really don't break. What will happen is that a switch will get out of adjustment or the contacts get dirty. All you need are a few tools and a schematic and the pinball collecting community is huge so there's lots of knowledge and help out there.
    Looking forward to seeing your Super 8 progress. Makes me wish I would have brought my '37 Daily Races up here with me. Next time I head home to Louisiana for a Southern food fix, I'll have to see about shipping that thing back.
    thanks for the information. . That makes me feel a lot better. I need to start looking harder. And for the super-8, as of now I have disassembled it and purchased new wiring and looking for ways to replace the parts that are gone which are few. I hope to get more serious with it this week. Will keep you posted.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm with ya emmadog...I tend to clean up the playing field really good first and it motivates for me to make the rest of it work! Here's a project I'm working on right now. I used magic eraser on...you can see the first picture is half is done and the top is what it did look like.
    Thanks and I agree that looks great!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Finally done with the cleanup and maintenance on this machine. Both stepper units were disassembled, cleaned, springs replaced, and relived. All coil sleeves were replaced and about half of the switch stacks throughout the machine were checked and cleaned. I usually leave most of those alone unless there's a problem. It's easy to misadjust them and of its not broke...
    I replaced the flipper coils with the next level up more powerful ones and removed about 20% of the windings on the pop bumper and slingshot coils to increase their power. These are both easy and common mods that many do.
    Got all the problems sorted out and as usual with EMs, nothing was broken only dirty or out switches not correctly gapped. What I though was a scoring bonus issue was actually how the game is supposed to be. I'd get a ball in the kickout hole or lose a ball in the outlanes and it seemed the pin was taking a long time to cycle and either eject the ball in the kickout hole or give me another ball after losing one in the outlanes. The scoring seemed erratic too. What actually happens is a bonus so when the ball goes thru either situation above, the bonus stepper unit scans the playfield and awards 100 points for each target knocked down. If all 4 targets of a suit are down 1000 points are awarded plus 100 for any other cards down. That's a really great feature and its cool to listen to the bonus stepper click and see the score increase as each dropped card is "discovered". After that, the ball is either ejected from the kickout hole or its reset in the shooter lane. Losing the ball straight down the middle awards nothing.
    So the object is to knock down as any targets as possible for max scoring alone and for the bonus award. There are 8 rollovers that are each worth 100 points and light up to become 1000 points when certain suits are completed. Also each suit has a star rollover which is 10 points or if its suit is completed causes it to light and becomes 100 points. When all 4 suits (16 targets) are down the kickout hole lights as well the two outlanes. A ball in any of these "WOW" places awards an extra ball and a loud knock from the knocker (I removed windings from it too because I like it very loud). When that ball is inevitably lost all the targets reset and the WOW mode ends.
    This game is a drop target fan's game. My other two drop target games require skill shots but in the case of Dimension, the slingshots help drop the targets higher up on the playfield and Lucky Hand's targets are one bank in front of the shooter which may see easy but the challenge on that machine as I've stated before is not just to hit the cards at random but to hit the cards that the machine is telling you to hit to progress in the game. Many other pins hit the targets for the player via slingshots and pop bumpers and the player just has to keep the ball in play to an extent. Not so with this machine. This game has only one pop bumper and it helps knock down a couple of the targets on the two upper banks some of the time and thats only if you manage to get the ball in the two top rollovers. Otherwise, it goes to the left or right and bypasses the pop bumper entirely. The rest is up to the player but that's the challenge and appeal.
    Again I'm in awe of the game designer and artist and the engineers who accomplished all this with analog technology.
    The pics are of one of the 2 bonus outlanes, the bonus kickout hole, and the ball's view of the targets.

28. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Should be "relubed" and not "relived" in the first sentence. Anyone know why sometimes editing is allowed and sometimes not even within the time constraint?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That looks great! I was looking at the bag of LED's and was curious what kind those were. I've used the four bulb underneath the playing field and the three bulb (cool) on top (unless it doesn't look right). Are those bulbs you using the natural color leds or something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast