Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Jack

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Diamond Jack

And so it begins. I've seen too many others restore their classic machines to like new condition and now its time for this one. I've been staring at the NOS playfield hanging on the basement wall now for far too long. Im fortunate to have that as the only ones available are NOS (and they cost more than the entire machine if you can find one) and repro EM Gottlieb playfields are extremely rare. Maybe 3 titles at most. Luckily though, licensed repro back glasses and playield plastics are available. It'll be a fun but time consuming project with the playfield swap and all those associated parts, plus the cab and backbox prep and repaint. Fortunately the only stencils I need are for the 3 sizes of diamonds on and some rectangular shapes on the backbox. The rest of the simple graphics can be marked off with tape along the cab and sides of the backbox. At some point someone painted the front of the backbox yellow which is incorrect and there's also supposed to be 3 small diamonds across the bottom front so that'll get corrected.
    Pics of the mostly stripped machine and a few of the innards.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Diamond Jack

Man! The one machine I passed on, you just have to rub it in! Great game! I'll be watching with interest!

Think the guys should know what you are shooting for...even though, I'm sure yours will look even better!
    Internet Pinball Machine Database: Gottlieb 'Diamond Jack'

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking forward to watching your progress

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Joe, you shouldn't have passed on that KoD! Assuming of course price and condition were in line. DJ is the pin that I've had the longest because it's so much fun to play and to watch the diamond cards drop down in the backbox as you hit the rollovers and try and complete a group of cards for an extra ball. It's also my girl's favorite-she won't even play my other pins.
    This example is pretty rough cosmetically speaking and after I played it I knew it would be a keeper and I then decided at some point to restore it if I could find a new playfield. This playfield has lots of paint missing, wear around the inserts, and planking. We've played the hell out of it but this game deserves to be restored. Anyway, I found a new playfield and the time is right.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

old playfield:
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I removed the stainless side rails. They're held in twist nails similar to pachinko nails but shorter and fatter. I used a putty knife, paint scraper, pliers and small nail puller to get the nails out plus a small piece of mylar to protect the surface from the nail puller. Next step is stripping the cab and back box.

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Go go go!!! . The artwork on the cabinet is cool. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Have just about all of the paint stripped and then I cleaned everything with mineral spirits. Next step is to reinforce the cab and backbox where the original glue has weakened. Then I'll sand to remove all remaining traces of paint. Then fill all the holes and gouges with both glazing and epoxy putty depending on location and depth and get ready for paint. Already have the stencils made. Interestingly the paint stripper removed the top layer of paint that someone added to reveal the original 3 diamonds (see pic) on the head. That's a bit of good news otherwise I was going to have to ask someone for the exact dimensions of those diamonds and for their precise position on the backbox. Just put a big order in to the Pinball Resource for all the parts I'll need-new coin door, ball lane guides, decals for both the rotating target carousel as well as for the drop down cards in the backbox, new flipper bats, various bits of hardware, etc.

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You have been busy! Where will you spray? Are you in a warm weather area and can paint outside? I sprayed inside once and thought I had everything covered that needed to be but discovered paint travels further than I thought. I am not allowed to spray inside anymore...

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good questions. The paint stripper works fast so to strip the pin to that level took maybe an hour. The machine may have lead paint so I didnt want to deal with the dust and hassle of sanding paint.
    I live in Portland, Oregon so its definitely not the right kind of weather now for spraying. I do have an enclosed garage that is basically just storage so I can spray in there and I'll put a heater in there to bring the temp and humidity in line. The whole structure is solid concrete and the interior is unfinished so some overspray isnt a problem. I don't have spraying equipment but I am eyeing a turbine sprayer which produces very little overspray and are small. No compressor needed so that saves money there. An entry level one is a few hundred bucks and that includes the gun. I'll be doing more pins in the future plus they're great for any painting where you want the finish quality of a sprayed finish.
    http://www.fujispray.com/Semi_Pro2_Brochure

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I would be nervous to sand as well. I have sanded old stuff and after realized it was not wise. I did it outside so not as bad as if was in, but still after I got myself freaked out.

I want to buy a tent to use as a paint booth but would still be for outside in warmer weather. I don't have a place for winter. I have only done spray cans, I am interested to hear what you think of the sprayer. It would open a lot of options...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've heard people get good results wit spray cans and I thought about it but I figured it would take a lot of cans. Also, as a spray can is used it gets colder and can splatter the paint. For this, it needs to be perfect or I should say as close to the original finish as possible so I need to use a HVLP system.
    Part of the reason I've waited so long to do this was because I don't have spray equipment but it'll be a food investment for this hobby plus painting around the house and some rental properties I own. I enjoy doing all the work myself and its quite a money savings. Anyway, restoring arrangeballs has prepped me for doing something like this and that's not much of a challenge anymore. And from a historical, cultural point of view, to me restoring a pin or any vintage coin op is more important, challenging, and satisfying than any pachinko will ever be. But that's just one man's opinion.
    I did see a Wagner turbine sprayer for 100 bucks on Amazon that's gotten hundreds of reviews and almost all are positive. I've used a Wagner airless sprayer and it sucked pretty bad but I think that's sorta how airless sprayers are so it may not have been because it was a Wagner.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The cab is structurally in great shape but the backbox sides have pulled away from the bottom of it a little. Nothing a couple of pipe clamps and strong wood glue can't fix. The "neck" piece that the backbox sits on is made of 4 pieces that are held together with really long staples. the piexes started to separate. That area is under a lot of weight and stress is incurred there whenever the machine is moved while fully assembled. The backbox houses the 4 score reels (the one's place is just a piece of plastic with a zero on it), the backglass, and the thick routed piece of wood that the score reels, bulbs, stepper unit, and relays mount to. So its fairly heavy. Anyway again more wood glue and clamps.

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    I've heard people get good results wit spray cans and I thought about it but I figured it would take a lot of cans. Also, as a spray can is used it gets colder and can splatter the paint. For this, it needs to be perfect or I should say as close to the original finish as possible so I need to use a HVLP system.
    Part of the reason I've waited so long to do this was because I don't have spray equipment but it'll be a food investment for this hobby plus painting around the house and some rental properties I own. I enjoy doing all the work myself and its quite a money savings. Anyway, restoring arrangeballs has prepped me for doing something like this and that's not much of a challenge anymore. And from a historical, cultural point of view, to me restoring a pin or any vintage coin op is more important, challenging, and satisfying than any pachinko will ever be. But that's just one man's opinion.
    I did see a Wagner turbine sprayer for 100 bucks on Amazon that's gotten hundreds of reviews and almost all are positive. I've used a Wagner airless sprayer and it sucked pretty bad but I think that's sorta how airless sprayers are so it may not have been because it was a Wagner.

I have age only done smaller items and still it takes a lot of cans you are right. I think your sprayer will pay for itself.

I also agree on doing most work myself being enjoyable (most of the time anyway) and a definite cost savings as well. I do not own extra properties, I cannot afford it, but I do 95% of everything on my own house. I usually have one big project a year to do. My last was replacing my deck and building a new set of stairs down to a new patio (patio was concrete so that I paid to have somebody do). By doing the deck and steps myself saved major, major money. We did composite which in itself is not cheap and to have installed would have tripled my cost at least. The steps are massive, 8 feet wide and 9 high. Composite requires 12" on center stringers for support so it was 9 of them and since so long I had to cut them myself. Materials alone came in about $800 something so I saved a ton, but I digress...

I agree also on enjoyment of restoring pinball over pachinko but I still love playing pachinko. . I did also enjoy restoring the 2 I have done by definitely enjoy doing the pinballs more. I do want an arrangeball though if I can find one...

i have a wagner sprayer I got a few years ago and never tried it. Wasted my money as the box just collects dust...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congrats on your decking and all that work. Do it yourself stuff is a huge potential for money savings. I've got a house up here that I'm selling and one of the realtors cranked up the heat on the oil furnace and it ran dry. The house is vacant btw. The oil pump got clogged with trash as it sucked all the crap from the bottom of the tank and wouldn't pull fuel. Several repair dudes said it was around 250 to get it fixed. I said screw it and took it apart myself, got covered in diesel, but figured it out and got it running for the cost of a 10 dollar filter. Great feeling.
    Anyway, I had a great time restoring arrangeballs as well as figuring out how and what materials to use. I think I was the first one to use automotive vinyl for the cel because I remember doing research to find what others use and there was no info anywhere. I also did a lot of experimenting with paint techniques and types. Lotsa fun but not challenging enough anymore after doing a half dozen or so although if a good candidate arrangeball comes up I'll take it on.
    I'm gonna do the pinball resto for at least the Diamond Jack and potentially the Capt Card. The Capt Card will be a go if I can get a hold of an NOS playfield. I know where one is and its not cheap but its cheaper that having the existing playfield professionally done. I can do the cab myself, and I've already got a new backglass on order and pinballrescue is doing a run of repro playfield plastics. But to do all that and to have to keep the worn playfield just doesn't look right. It's the same as redoing a pachinko but leaving the water stained cel on there. To me, it doesn't look right.
    For the DJ, I hope to get the cab sanded and filled, and the the final sand done this weekend.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Congrats on your decking and all that work. Do it yourself stuff is a huge potential for money savings. I've got a house up here that I'm selling and one of the realtors cranked up the heat on the oil furnace and it ran dry. The house is vacant btw. The oil pump got clogged with trash as it sucked all the crap from the bottom of the tank and wouldn't pull fuel. Several repair dudes said it was around 250 to get it fixed. I said screw it and took it apart myself, got covered in diesel, but figured it out and got it running for the cost of a 10 dollar filter. Great feeling.
    Anyway, I had a great time restoring arrangeballs as well as figuring out how and what materials to use. I think I was the first one to use automotive vinyl for the cel because I remember doing research to find what others use and there was no info anywhere. I also did a lot of experimenting with paint techniques and types. Lotsa fun but not challenging enough anymore after doing a half dozen or so although if a good candidate arrangeball comes up I'll take it on.
    I'm gonna do the pinball resto for at least the Diamond Jack and potentially the Capt Card. The Capt Card will be a go if I can get a hold of an NOS playfield. I know where one is and its not cheap but its cheaper that having the existing playfield professionally done. I can do the cab myself, and I've already got a new backglass on order and pinballrescue is doing a run of repro playfield plastics. But to do all that and to have to keep the worn playfield just doesn't look right. It's the same as redoing a pachinko but leaving the water stained cel on there. To me, it doesn't look right.
    For the DJ, I hope to get the cab sanded and filled, and the the final sand done this weekend.
    thx. And $10 vs $250 is huge.

Agreed on half redone and half not redone not looking right. I was looking at a 1950s pinball that had acceptable wear on playfield and backglass but they repainted the cab a solid color and so even if I repainted it won't look right. Was really disappointed to see the cab was redone.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Many times cab repaints can be removed to reveal the original paint underneath. Happens all the time and same with me on the DJ. Problem is you can't go removing paint on a machine you don't own to check and see.
    Bummer.

29. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I love those old wood rails. I think as far as play goes, the consensus is they're usually not terribly exciting. I tend to agree as I've played many at shows but what they lack in game play they make up for in charm and artwork. I've owned a few and regret selling a '59 Queen of Diamonds. That machine was alot of fun and had great art. Plus I love the old time light up number scoring. Fun to watch those numbers rapidly turn on and off.

31. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sanded the remaining paint off the cab and filled the gouges with putty. There weren't many scrapes and dings so that saved some work. The backbox had a 2" square of one layer of ply knocked out so that got epoxy filler. The front of the cab had some slight damage around the coin door which is common from people trying to pry the door open. Epoxy filled that as well. All the filler has cured and I'll sand it down tomorrow with the final grit of sandpaper and spray on the primer. I picked up the red, white, and yellow paint today as well. I should have the white base coat done by Sunday-the weather's supposed to cooperate. Still have to figure out what method to apply black paint to get the webbing effect that goes on after the base coat and before the stencil graphics. Gottlieb used this or some sort of stippling on all their machines.
    Pics are of the cab and head with filler. It's hard to see the regular filler since I used so little but the black areas are the unsanded epoxy filler.

33. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast