Thread: Reunited with my machines from childhood

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Reunited with my machines from childhood

My father just gave me the two Pachinko machines I enjoyed as a child. What a surprise.
    The last time I seen them was 30 years ago. I thought they were long since gone.

I remember getting the Sankyo first. Then later he found the Nishijin put out for the trash.
    My dad was always good at fixing things, and he eventually got the Nishijin working good.

Anyway, attached are pics of the machines as they are now. GEDC0588.jpgGEDC0590.jpgGEDC0613.jpgGEDC0608.jpgGEDC0615.jpgGEDC0609.jpg
    I took pictures with flash on and off, to remove the glare from the Plexiglas.

The Sankyo is in much better condition. The Nishijin looks like it was rained on at one time.
    I've only just started cleaning and getting them working again.

It appears that someone spilled soda or something down inside the back of the Sankyo.
    The jackpot mechanism and related rods and levers were all gummed up.
    Dissembled it, cleaned all the bearings in alcohol, and she's working good now!

The Nishijin works, but balls keep getting stuck in the two center tulips.
    Haven't figured out what's going on there yet. Any suggestions?

Also on the Sankyo, it is interesting how the frog spins around opens up his arms.

The Nishijin has an center piece marked "Sharp".
    I noticed wires cut off, leading to the orange thing on the overflow tray.
    Found there was a light bulb in there. Was this originally connected to to the low balls indicator or the jackpot indicator?
    I have rewired it and connected to the low ball indicator right now.

Thank you in advance, for any help you can provide me.

2. The following 12 users say "Thanks" to metalmoto

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Reunited with my machines from childhood

that's great that he had saved them all these years
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

4. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

if you look down into the tulips there should be two metal tabs that the ball will pas threw.. of thouse tabs are bent to far out or tow far in then the tulip will jam up.. and of course if there is something other then a Pachinko ball stuck in there your going to have problems..

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, I see whats wrong with the tulips now. Both have a broken tab/finger inside. I might try repairing them. Thinking I could solder a piece of paper clip to the brass thing to make a new finger. Worth a try anyway... Otherwise, I would need 2 replacement tulips.
    These are both center tulips. And I read somewhere, there are differences between left, right and center tulips.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by metalmoto View Post
    OK, I see whats wrong with the tulips now. Both have a broken tab/finger inside.
    please post a pic or two
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi, It was difficult to get a clear pic inside the tulips. But attached are my results. I noticed the bottom tulip is badly worn on the plastic "wings", and both tulips are missing a finger, left and right respectively. This Nishijin machine was found by my father, in the trash, nearly 30 years ago by my father. The playfield has a little water damage, and the image seems faded and the background looks a little dark. Some rust on the chrome door frame, and looks as though someone used a pliers to straighten out the edge of the playfield door, so it would close completely. Otherwise it's complete, except for the piece that holds the balls flat in the jackpot track. It was found with no glass, and the tulip center metal pieces were bent outwards. I'm sure there have been worse free finds...Pictures attached, to show the broken fingers/tabs. I hope this will help others, and toGEDC0618.jpgGEDC0622.jpgGEDC0630.jpgGEDC0632.jpg look look closely for these problems, when buying well used machines.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to metalmoto

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like someone went at the tulip with a screwdriver (or maybe a sledge hammer)

It is not too difficult to pull those tulips out, there are four nails to work out. My first try is to just wiggle and pull on the entire tulip from the front before prying on anything. If the back of the machine is removed; I like to tap them forward with a hammer and a nail set slightly, then pull the nails with pliers.

But if you can get them out and take pictures of the front and back. There are a few different varieties, biggest difference is which way the exit ramp aims, left or right. My guess is both of yours are the same and are the most common, vintage tulip. Other members (and I) have spare tulips like that.

I have not been able to repair them; seems like they were originally brazed and I just don't have the tools of the trade. I was able to glue some wires on the backs of tulips but it was a lot of trial and error.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

looks like someone tryed to bend them out so the tulip would stay open all the time.. better payouts...

i would replace them.. it will cost ya a few bucks and work allot better then trying to fab something..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I probably have some laying about too.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Other members (and I) have spare tulips like that.

Pachinko -Nishijin "C" Fishing Game & Hockey, Red Lions, CR Red Lions, Heiwa Double Wing, Takao Bruce Lee, SanseiR&D 777 Sevens Rock, Sankyo Wanted!, lots of other vintages!; Pachislo -SPIN LUCK, Kung Fu Lady, Gamera High Grade, Gundam

Fever Hunter Super Dave Osbourne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

What a great story, thank you for sharing. As others have mentioned, it is likely best to just replace the tulips.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I removed the tulips, and attached some pictures of them. They are different, the back plate is a different shape. The balls exit to the right side on both, when viewed from the front. GEDC0633.jpgGEDC0635.jpgGEDC0636.jpgGEDC0638.jpgGEDC0639.jpgGEDC0640.jpgGEDC0642.jpg It would be great if someone has a few spares... their willing to part with? Please let me know? And Thanks everyone for your help.

19. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to metalmoto

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Do you need a full set of tulips or just the center and left one? I might have a set laying around.

Just make sure you save those cardboard spacers.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Do you need a full set of tulips or just the center and left one? I might have a set laying around.

Just make sure you save those cardboard spacers.
    The ones I need are from a Nishijin but they are both are center tulips. One directly above the other. This machine does not have any tulips on the left or right. The top one is shaped like tulip (back plate) but the bottom one has more of a square shaped (back plate). I think I can bend the tabs, and grind off the flattened rivets, and attach the assembly to the square back plate. As long as the balls exit to the right side, looking at it from the front. I think they will work OK. I have the gaskets intact. What are you looking to get for them?