Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1934 Stoner Super-8

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: 1934 Stoner Super-8

Just an update on where I am with this project.

Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning... This was one dirty machine. The cabinet was covered in dirt and had paint splashes on it and paint overspray on one side. The coin slide was so stiff that I was able to push it part way in (you can see where the dirt is scraped off from trying to do it), and when I started to look open it up there were piles of dirt inside. Here are some before pictures of the cabinet and coin slide.

FrontDirty.jpgRightSideDirty.jpgCoinSlideDirty1.jpgCoinSlideDirty2.jpgCoinSlideDirty3.jpg
    Restoring the past - Super-8 and Signal

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

For the cabinet, I started by cleaning with Murphy's Oils Soap citrus cleaner. Many many dirty disgusting rags where used. Then I cleaned it with mineral spirits to remove any old waxes or polish. Finally I cleaned it with half and half simple green and water. Once it was completely dried I waxed with Johnson paste wax and buffed it out. The difference is amazing... There are still scratches and nicks and a cigarette burn but those things are part of the character that was built up from years of use. I could strip it, repair all that and refinish but I really want to keep it as original as I can.

When cleaning I discovered somebody vandalized it some point and carved a P into it. Also found the serial number stamped into the side. Inside there were various hand written numbers in pencil (same as with my Signal) but was happy to find the stamped serial number as I did not find one on my Signal.

Here are some clean pics of the cabinet. The coin slide I do not have clean pics, I will take some and post later.

I also need to order a few things and re-wire it but hope to be done in 2 weeks (as that is about how long until the glass will take to come in).

FrontClean.jpgP.jpgRightSideClean.jpgSerialNumber.jpg

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

very nice restoration

6. The following user says "Thanks" to visionman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That stained wood is classy. You can tell that's from a long gone era of much better craftsmanship. The coin assembly in my Daily Races was the same. The slide didn't move because of all the gunk. I did what I used to do to my shotguns at the end of goose season-submerged the metal parts and mechs in kerosene and let it soak then hit it with a nylon bristle brush. Works great.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

8. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by visionman View Post
    very nice restoration
    Thank you, I am pretty happy with it thus far.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    That stained wood is classy. You can tell that's from a long gone era of much better craftsmanship. The coin assembly in my Daily Races was the same. The slide didn't move because of all the gunk. I did what I used to do to my shotguns at the end of goose season-submerged the metal parts and mechs in kerosene and let it soak then hit it with a nylon bristle brush. Works great.

Thanks me and I know what you mean. New stuff is not made the same. Things are not hand made as much anymore.

I did similar on both the coin mech on the signal and the super-8. On the signal I soaked it in mineral spirits and then cleaned withe simple green and toothbrush. It was not nearly as bad as it was just sitting in my basement forever. It was a little gunny but not bad. The super-8 mech as you saw was disgusting. I scrubbed with simple green and then sprayed it all out with carb cleaner and gone scrubbed again with simple green and toothbrush. It came out pretty nice. I will take a few pics and post them.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Spell check does odd things. I wound up thanking myself and gummy became gunny...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are some pics after cleaning. It is not perfect but it is 80 so I guess that is ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just an update on where I am. I am really in the home stretch.

- I have cleaned everything.
    - I have rewired the machine as the original wiring was all cracked.
    - I needed to replace a rod for the "magic button" which is a rod under the coin slide that if you are having a great game you can push in the rod before pushing in a new coin and it will only return the balls in the lower 100 points spot. All the rest will stay on the playfield and you can continue your game.
    - I replaced the missing knob from the ball lifter and the one for the missing magic button rod. I went with wood because the shape was closest to the plunger knob and will paint black to match.
    - ordered a 12 volt battery charger to power the machine. I tested with the one from my Bally Signal and works great but it does not fit in the machine like it does in my signal due to the way the soleniods sit. So I need to keep it under the machine. Not what I wanted but will have to do. I do not want to run on batteries as it originally was.

I still have a few things to take care of.
    - I need to still find somebody to make me a key for the lock on the door. If I strike out I will replace the lock.
    - I need glass, I will order today if they are open (we are getting hammered with snow right now)
    - I need to put the metal strip around the ball arch back on
    - I need to clean one of the solenoids as it is sticking a little.
    - I need to replace the Super-8 10 Balls for 5 cents card. My brother in law is a sign painter and working on it now for me

I think that covers it.

Here are some pictures of how it is turning out. There is also a picture of the bottom to show something I like which is that the 3 layers (the playfield, the shutter and the ball return board) are all screwed together so you can take it all out in one shot. Much easier that in my Signal which each layer is separate. It takes a lot longer to get it all out.

power1.jpg

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow that is just a SUPER AWESOME job you did. Thanks so much for sharing it!!!
    If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury

17. The following user says "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFury View Post
    Wow that is just a SUPER AWESOME job you did. Thanks so much for sharing it!!!
    thanks I am nearly done. I need to do a few more things but almost there.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

WOW! That is an amazing...and yes, the coin mech looks perfect! Can't wait to see this one in action...please do a video!
    Joe

20. The following user says "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jodini View Post
    WOW! That is an amazing...and yes, the coin mech looks perfect! Can't wait to see this one in action...please do a video!
    Joe
    Thanks . I am happy with how it has all turned out so far. The coin mech still on occasion gives me a little bit of trouble pulling back out. I realized that somebody put it back together wrong at some point. There should be two springs and one was missing and the one that was on there was on wrong. I fixed it so it goes to the right location but it is worn and too weak so need to replace both springs. Going today to see if I can get replacements.

I will ill be doing a video to show how it works and will post it. It will be similar to is I did for my Bally Signal. I do want to see if I can splice two videos together so I can show the inside as well as outside. Need to look into that. I also will need to unfortunately video with the glass on which can cause a glare. The balls otherwise can get popped right out when they advance. I will figure it out.

22. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just a quick update. I am nearly done. I finally ordered my glass. My power supply has arrived. I only have a few things left to do. Among the pins on the playfield, there are 6 with small springs on them. One was missing and one was damaged. I have tried to find replacements but cannot find what I need so for now will go get 2 nails that match the size of the ones on the playfield and cut the heads off. I need to make a pedestal for the tilt cup. The original is missing and will make one out of steel rod. The card on the machine that says Super 8 10 balls 5 cents is missing. My brother in law is a sign painter and is working on making a new one. Lastly I need to get the lock for the coin door keyed. If I cannot find somebody to do it, I will buy a new lock. I am pretty sure that is it.

One thing of note though is that this game is a good indication of why they moved away from glass balls to steel. When they first started making games with electricity they used batteries and fairly week solenoids. They were not powerful enough to propel a steel ball so they moved to glass but a few years later went back to steel. My Bally Signal also uses glass and really no issues. With this one though, when the balls are snapped forward they hit the casting top in the next slot, and when they go from the last slot in the channel into the lower area they slam pretty hard into the metal casting (there is an arch it passes through and they hit it pretty good). I can see them chipping over time. I will need to keep an eye on them so not to damage the playfield if they do. I am going to see if I can find some clear pad of some sort that can be stuck to the casting where the balls hit that would not be too noticeable and not bouncy. I just want to protect the balls and not cause them to bounce back. Not sure if possible but will see what I can do.

arches1.jpgarches2.jpg

24. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks great. I remember thinking on my Daily Races that those spring posts are probably hard if not impossible to source. There's a bunch on that machine.
    Looking forward to seeing a vid of this in action.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just an update on where I am. I am pretty much done minus 4 things. For the pins for the 2 springs that needed to be replaced, I found nails of the same diameter as the ones that are on the machine and cut to tops off to cut them to length. I have my power working correctly now as well. I still need to have the door lock keyed or replaced. Not having luck finding somebody to key it so will buy a replacement if I cannot find somebody in the next week. My brother in law is nearly done with the card he is making and need to make the tilt pedestal as well. Also in the spring will paint the two new knobs black but need to wait to spray them outside. There is a card for the machine which lists skill points (if you get over x amount of points you get a free game, over xx you get 2 free games, etc) as well as brief instructions. That card is missing and in all the photos I have seen you cannot read the instructions so for now that will have to wait. I cannot find anybody else who has this game so I may never get to reproduce the card.

here are a couple of photos and I an will post a video after it is fully complete.

Super8Glass1.jpgSuper8Glass2.jpg

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Two more (a little less glare on the glass).

30. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great job! Makes me want to play those or go buy one and fix it up.

32. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great job! Makes me want to play those or go buy one and fix it up.

Thanks. I really am happy with how it came out and really enjoyed doing it. Very satisfying to bring something back to life that was left to waste. I enjoy both of my machines but the first one holds more of a special place as it is a family heirloom. That being said, the Super-8 is pretty darn cool and more difficult than I imagined it would be. After playing for a bit though I have gotten much better with placement of the balls but still is not as easy as I thought.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can't put a price on the satisfaction you get from fixing a machine up. I'm surprised more people don't do it.
    Sadly. I am not surprised. People seem to be lazy and getting dumber every year. Nobody will buy full strength antifreeze, but will pay twice as much for 50/50. Even when you explain the math and tell them how easy it is to mix. Too lazy to mix it...want everything done for them. Won't even try to install a bulb or wiper blade. Don't want to lean how to do the easiest of things. Will say "I'm not going to buy it, if you won't install it." Want o buy new parts and install them (have them installed), then want to return it if they asked for the wrong part to begin with...because NOBODY wants to troubleshoot anything. I don't mean to paint people with a broad brush...but we have a sad bunch of people walking around America today. If they had to "Go West young man" and conquer the new country...they wouldn't even try, they would just curl up into a fetal position and hope someone else got it done for them quickly.

35. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast