Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Capt. Card

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Capt. Card

Been looking for one of these for a couple years. It's the hard to find (especially in decent shape) add a ball version of High Hand called Capt. Card. Only 675 were made as opposed to 4950 HH's. This machine completes the 3 machines I've wanted since I got into pinball-the other two are my '71 Dimension and '77 Lucky Hand. It is another example of Gottlieb's great card themed games from the 70's. I love their 60's games with the 2" flippers but I'm gravitating more to their 70's machines and 3" flippers. These 3 have my favorite pinball feature in common and that's drop targets. This one has 16 and Dimension has a whopping 20. Lucky Hand only has 9 but they reset throughout a game and lights come on to tell the player which ones to hit. Really cool and Ive explained that game in another thread. So here's a few pics of CC in the warehouse.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Capt. Card

I Love the card theme. Really makes me want to get back into pinball.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another reason to love the old EM machines. The manufacturers came up with their own themes. Now they just take them from movies and TV shows. No imagination required. And seeing how the movie industry has lost all its imagination (I knew it was a lost cause when they remade 'Willard'), it can only get worse.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Holy Crap, I used to play this all the time as a kid, didn't know it was so rare.

When I was around 9 or 10 in the late 70's/ aarly 80's, My dad played on a softball rec league, and after every game they would go down to the local dive bar and party afterwards. I was the only really young kid (there were a few teens though) so all of the adults would toss me quarters to keep me occupied while they were getting drunk... and of course the later we stayed the more generous they became.

For being a dive, the bar had a surprising selection of entertainment. The bar had a pool table, darts, a shuffleboard table, a pong machine (that was constantly broken down), arcade games (first it was just a Carnival, and then they added a Galaxian later) and two pinball machines. One was a flipperless where you would have the balls drop in holes to make a line match, (which was boring to me as a kid) and the other one was Capt. Card. I used to love it because as a kid, I imagined the character was a secret villain of batman since he was drawn in the style that would fit the 70's batman comics perfectly. On top of it all, it was free unlimited soda and hot dogs, so this place was like Heaven to me!

Looking back I'm really surprised I was allowed to be in there as a little kid. I guess the owner was either on the team or friends w someone who was. Ah the good ole days of reckless parenting and irresponsible bar ownership.
    My Pachinkos: Freddy vs Jason, Rave, Titanic

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Harleyguy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Absolutely correct. I love the original themes and artwork of the EM's. The newer and new pins with photographic images are very uninspired. Not a big fan of all the plastic toys, large rule sets, and long games that characterize modern pins. Give me cool, artwork, 3-5 minute intense games, and the sounds of bells and chimes any day. Having said that, I do play modern pins on occasion since where I live is the pinball capital of the US but I wouldn't spend the money or space to own one.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Holy Crap, I used to play this all the time as a kid, didn't know it was so rare.

When I was around 9 or 10 in the late 70's/ aarly 80's, My dad played on a softball rec league, and after every game they would go down to the local dive bar and party afterwards. I was the only really young kid (there were a few teens though) so all of the adults would toss me quarters to keep me occupied while they were getting drunk... and of course the later we stayed the more generous they became.

For being a dive, the bar had a surprising selection of entertainment. The bar had a pool table, darts, a shuffleboard table, a pong machine (that was constantly broken down), arcade games (first it was just a Carnival, and then they added a Galaxian later) and two pinball machines. One was a flipperless where you would have the balls drop in holes to make a line match, (which was boring to me as a kid) and the other one was Capt. Card. I used to love it because as a kid, I imagined the character was a secret villain of batman since he was drawn in the style that would fit the 70's batman comics perfectly. On top of it all, it was free unlimited soda and hot dogs, so this place was like Heaven to me!

Looking back I'm really surprised I was allowed to be in there as a little kid. I guess the owner was either on the team or friends w someone who was. Ah the good ole days of reckless parenting and irresponsible bar ownership.
    Sounds like some fond memories of childhood and there was a Galaxian machine to boot. Love that game. You're right about the guy on the back glass-he does look like some sort of villain and the artist, Gordon Morrison, is one of my favorite. Briefly, Capt. Card (CC) is an add a ball game where the player wins extra balls instead of extra games. AAB's were made for 3 the states that considered winning an extra game gambling. As such AAB's were produced in far fewer numbers and for this game, the targets all reset after they're knocked down whereas on the replay version High Hand, the targets don't reset so most consider CC the superior machine. Another example of the numbers built of AAB vs. replay is my Dimension and its replay version, 2001. Only 490 Dimensions were built to 2200 2001's. On the games I own I play both versions typically at shows and conventions and I always prefer AAB but many replay machines do have better rule sets. Just depends on the game.

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The only games I regret selling are my Gottliebs!
    Pro-Football (really miss it)
    Super Soccer (sorta miss it)

But they bring in good money when they work. Very nice fine emmadog! Going to my buddies house tomorrow to play his Card Whiz!

So right now I have DodgeCity, Gigi, Dixieland, Bullseye, F-14 and Time Machine. What do you have in your collection there...I see a lot of pins laying around. Need me to come over and help you unload some of those!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Card Whiz is a great game! I played one at the pinball expo in San Rafael.
    Those pins in the pic aren't mine-they belong to the person I bought my Capt Card from. I originally had 15 or so pins and went on a buying spree when I first got into them. I'd store most in a climate controlled storage unit and keep four in the game room and every few months rotate a few out. As I played I learned what I liked and kept those and sold others. I ended up being a big fan of add a balls and not replays so much so my collection shrank and contained mostly AAB's. I then moved here to the pacific NW and bought a house with a large basement, sold off more of my collection and have since refined it to my favorites which unfortunately for the ole pocketbook happen to be the more rare and wanted AAB's. So now I'm down to the five shown here plus the Capt. Card enroute. I've got two more back home in Louisiana. One is a parts machine and the other is a 1937 gambling pay out pin.
    The five here are all AAB's except the Sweethearts. These represent my sought after and favorite machines that I've looked long and hard for.
    Lucky Hand-fully restored and the object is to shoot for different card hands out of the 9 drop targets to advance. The progression is 2 jacks then 3 Queens then 3 queens,2 kings then A,K,Q,J,10. If you're lucky enough to make it that far then only the red (straight flush) cards reset and the WOW light comes on. Knocking down the straight flush gives an extra ball.
    Diamond Jack-spinning center carousel and as diamond cards are made they drop down into the window in the backglass. Once certain cards are made an extra ball is won. Have an NOS playfield for it that I'll install when I do a complete restore.
    Dimension- my favorite pin. Great art and 20 drop targets. When the green and yellow targets are all hit, 2 of the 4 red WOW (free ball) lights come on and its a rush keeping that ball in play because when it drains the targets reset and the WOW lights go out. If you're really good and get all the red, blue, green, and yellow targets down then all 4 lights come on and you can rack up the free balls. On these machines when a free ball is won there's a loud knock. I removed about 20% of the coil windings on the knockers so they're really powerful and loud. The cab on this machine has been professionally restored and it has a new backglass. I also have a NOS playield for it to be installed.
    Flipper Pool-a beautiful pool themed machine that has mini pool balls in the backglass. At game start the balls on the backglass light up and as balls are "sunk" the light goes out and the corresponding ball drops down into view. The setting can be changed but on my machine when 10,12, and 14 balls are sunk an extra ball is awarded at each of those stages. When all 15 are sunk an extra ball is awarded and the rack resets which is extremely hard to do.
    Sweethearts- love the art especially the playield and 5 pop bumpers. It's a hard game but a blast to play.
    The game play above on all these machines is just a basic rundown. All of these pins have other objectives and strategies to win free balls. For example on Lucky Hand there are 4 rollovers at the top. As each of these are hit, the value of each drop target increases. So it makes sense to hit all 4 rollovers for the most points. The "problem" is that all 4 when hit add 0 points to the targets but a red WOW light comes on beneath one of the rollovers. As the center pop bumper is hit the WOW light changes places and if the ball goes thru that rollover then an extra ball is won. So do you hit all 4 for a chance at an extra ball but no added points to the drop targets or do you hit just 3 and add lots of points to your score via the drop targets? There's still more to this game but that's most of it.
    It amazes me still that EM pinball functions are handled by switches and stepper units.

15. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And one more...

17. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice! I let a King of Diamonds slip away! Your Diamond Jack reminds me of it! Cool game!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

K of D woulda been a great score and is one of their greatest 60's games. Diamond Jack is the AAB version and is my girl's favorite.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Emmadog, where abouts in Louisiana? I want to know where I can steal them from when you're not looking.

I have an old Gottlieb Jungle. Not a very desirable machine, but when you live in a machine desert like I do, you take what you can get. IIRC, it can be set to either give a credit or another ball.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good Grief emmadog! Those are so neat that you have me looking around for something similar,
    This came up locally and it reminds me quite a bit of an arrange ball because it has a goal
    Its a Gypsy Queen from 1955

Gypsy queen.jpgdo you personally know anything about this machine? The reviews on a paticular pinball site descibed it as very hard (which appeals to me)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

23. The following user says "Thanks" to alphaminor

Thanks
    Thanks Received

that is a nice collection. I wish I had more money and space (if I had more money I would have more space) to but a few more. I just have my 1934 Bally Signal I had mentioned earlier and tomorrow I am supposed to pick up another 1930s machine and if all looks ok, I will be the proud owner of 2.

25. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    Emmadog, where abouts in Louisiana? I want to know where I can steal them from when you're not looking.

I have an old Gottlieb Jungle. Not a very desirable machine, but when you live in a machine desert like I do, you take what you can get. IIRC, it can be set to either give a credit or another ball.
    I'll narrow it down to SW LA. It's pretty much a machine desert there too. I had to have all my machines shipped. That's cool it can be either credit or AAB.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alphaminor View Post
    Good Grief emmadog! Those are so neat that you have me looking around for something similar,
    This came up locally and it reminds me quite a bit of an arrange ball because it has a goal
    Its a Gypsy Queen from 1955

Gypsy queen.jpgdo you personally know anything about this machine? The reviews on a paticular pinball site descibed it as very hard (which appeals to me)
    That's a beautiful machine but the only thing I know is what I read on IPDB.org.
    Just to note,all pins have a goal and frequently multiple goals. When guests come play my machines I explain all the features which usually surprises them. Most people have a vague idea that theres some sort of systematic way to play. When they play awhile and fully realize all the nuances, that's when they become pinball fans.
    In general though, old machines like Gypsy Queen aren't quite as much fun as machines made in the 60's and later but there are definitely exceptions. They're also called wood rails. But if the price is right I'd pick that machine up. See if you can go an play it first and get a feel for it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    that is a nice collection. I wish I had more money and space (if I had more money I would have more space) to but a few more. I just have my 1934 Bally Signal I had mentioned earlier and tomorrow I am supposed to pick up another 1930s machine and if all looks ok, I will be the proud owner of 2.
    Post pics of the machine when you get it, I love those old ones too.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    That's a beautiful machine but the only thing I know is what I read on IPDB.org.
    Just to note,all pins have a goal and frequently multiple goals. When guests come play my machines I explain all the features which usually surprises them. Most people have a vague idea that theres some sort of systematic way to play. When they play awhile and fully realize all the nuances, that's when they become pinball fans.
    I grew up on pinball...and I didn't understand all the nuances. Makes me want an EM even more! Space is the biggest problem! If I want it bad enough, I can justify the money. It is much harder to create space!

30. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Space is the one downside to pins...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    How's your Super-8?

33. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast