Thread: Vintage Slot Machines - What kind are these and worth how much!?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Vintage Slot Machines - What kind are these and worth how much!?

Just so we don't start and episode of garage wars - these are not for sale. They are at my buddies parents house. The story goes like this. His grandfather worked at this VFW in the 50's and these three machines were there. He just had them restored and they look amazing. His father told them they came from the early 20's or before...what do you guys think?

My question is what are they called, manufacture, and what year - any thing you guys can give me would be great!

Here's the pics!
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Slot Machines - What kind are these and worth how much!?

I don't know much about american slots but I think the first one is manufactured by Mills and is called something like a castle Front? from around the early 1930's?

They should have the manufacturers names on them somewhere, usually the well known ones are Mills and Jennings I think?

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually from googling, I think all three are manufactured by Mills and probably 1930's

the ones with the cherries on the front is called something like 'Cherry Front' maybe?

the other one with the bit cherry thing in the centre seems to be referred to as a 'Cherry Burst'?

I'm sure other members / collectors will know for sure though and be able to properly advise

they all look to be in beautiful condition

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

beautiful machines
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the middle one is the same as i have mine is a quarter machine... 2912.jpg

i would love to find a nickel and a dime like the one pictured

the last one is called a bursting cherry machine

but the first one im not sure..

i would say there not from the 20's but more in line with 30's era
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

better info

first machine
    Mystery Blue Front Bell - Slot Machine by Mills Novelty Co.

second one
    Black Cherry - Slot Machine by Mills Novelty Co.

last machine
    Bursting Cherry - Slot Machine by Mills Novelty Co.

the internet has everything

as for value that is just like Pachinko and Pachislo.. what are ya willing to pay..

imho value now is down a bit if i were to sell mine (it is NOT for sale) i would start it really high.. i have seen a few in norcal selling in the 1000 to 1500 range..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks guys! Hanabi...nice elf avatar!

That's some great info Mopar...you are a man of many talents! I didn't know you were into slots too! I'll let my friend know. He told me how much his dad spent on each machine to restore and I hope he's wrong!

But I'll print out hat info and get it to him next time I see him.
    Thanks!
    Joe

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jodini View Post
    I didn't know you were into slots too! I'll let my friend know.
    always love a nice slot.. i actually am always looking for them.. i have been lucky enough to buy 2 for 20 dollars each

love a nice vintage machine.. bright colors and ornate cases are not my thing but anything vintage rings my bell.. and i have a soft spot for Sega machines

i need to update my photos

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/memb...ums-slots.html

Thanks
    Thanks Received

when i was a kid in the late 40's/early 50's my brothers wedding was at a VFW hall, they had penny slots on the bar and about 6 5 and 10 cents regular slots

my sister and i spent the whole evening begging for pennies for the slots

we would put the pennies in and win nothing then my older brother would play then and win
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Beautiful machines! This one is commonly called Castle front. And, of course, others have already identified the other 2 correctly as, Black Cherry. Which seems odd, as the case is always silver. Bursting Cherry. All 3 have the big jackpot window on the front, makes them more desirable. The coin tube that pays out the winnings, slides coins off the bottom.DSCF7187.jpgIt is the brass tube below and to the right of the reels.DSCF7165.jpg The slides move singly, pairs or entire stack to pay out 2, 5, 10, 14, or 18 coins. The slides on my machine are plastic, as my machine was made in 1963. The slides in the machines above are metal. The whole stack only pays 18 coins, 90 cents was a good hit back then...but wasn't a jackpot! As coins are inserted some are diverted into the window, slowly filling it up. I am not sure if it only filled once the coin tube was full, and the window got the overflow...or if every 3rd or 5th (or whatever) coin went into the window. My machine don't have this feature, have only read about it. When you hit 777, a trap door opens and everything in the window dumps! Not certain of the years of these, but because of the jackpot window, I'm gonna say in the 1930's. The 1920's sounds a tad early, I will check my book DSCF7153.jpg to see if it has a time line for when special features were introduced. Maybe it states where the date is. Mine is stamped "1963" without a month in the metal case.DSCF7199.JPG The serial # is stamped there also, which, oddly was on an aluminum plate glued to the frame of the mechanism.I would have thought it would have been stamped into the frame. I would expect a serial # on each of the mechanisms above, but not sure if dated.
    WORTH...that can be tricky! Restored kind of puts them into a grey area. If in good ORIGINAL condition, could be worth more than restored. If in bad condition, restoring can raise the value. Without really knowing the ins and outs of antique slot values...quarter Black Cherry machines are fewer than penny, nickle or dime, therefore more valuable. I would estimate each one being worth between $1,500 to $2,000 each. A quarter Black Cherry machine that worked, but not flawlessly, unrestored, not bad looking overall, soldd for $1500 at my local slot machine store.

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Castle Front introduced in 1933...according to this: A superb Mills Blue Front Bell, or Castle Front, mechanical 25-cent coin-operated slot machine, built by the leader of the slot machine movement in Chicago and around the world, the Mills Novelty Company of Chicago. Originally introduced in 1933, this machine features a single jackpot window against a vibrant coat-of-arms display. Set upon a charming oak cabinet with a stained-glass front panel and gilt adornments, this slot machine is a fine example of early 20th century gaming. A superb Mills Blue Front Bell, or Castle Front, ... | SLOT MACHINES

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Another vote for 1933 or later on the Castle Front: History of Slot Machines

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the jackpots are fill once the payout tube is full.. then the excess coins are pused off the top of the tube into the jackpot mech.. there are usually two sections of the jackpot mech.. the first is viewed threw the window.. the second is above.. when a jackpot is hit the bottom drops as a payout the upper replaces the lower and the machine will start refilling the upper section..

hope that makes sense..

21. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I thought that the front jackpot was filled by the overflow of the jackpot tube. Any other method would have been overly complex. I didn't know about the one above. Later models had 2 windows, one for the big jackpot, one as a backup if 777 was hit again too soon for it to fill. Probably just added a window so you could see the other jackpot and entice you to feed it more coins!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I thought that the front jackpot was filled by the overflow of the jackpot tube.
    yes that is what i was trying to say...

with each pull of the handle a bar is pushed across the top of the jackpot tube.. if the tube is over full then those coins are pushed in to the jackpot mechanism.. if that is full, they they fall into the coin box at the bottom the the machine..

if there is not jackpot, there pushed into a tube or channel and directed into the same coin box..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes! Both Brains Beer, and Mills open front have the bar that pushes overflow coins down a tube to the coin lock box. The least complex way to add the jackpot, is to put it between the payout tube and coin lock box!

25. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall