Thread: Please educate me on the Nishijin Shiroi Kamome Super Deluxe JAL

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Please educate me on the Nishijin Shiroi Kamome Super Deluxe JAL

I am watching a Nishijin Shiroi Kamome Super Deluxe "JAL" being sold on EBay. I am not trying to make a statement or judge the seller and bidders in any way. I am just surprised that the bid is now up to $250 - based on Cardwwi's recent analysis posted on 12/1 on "Ebay Vintage Pachinko Sells Last 2 Years", this is heading to the higher end of the range (way above average). I've seen this JAL machine around before in the market - is this JAL theme highly sought after? Just trying to get educated on what is considered rare or valued by collectors.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Please educate me on the Nishijin Shiroi Kamome Super Deluxe JAL

This does not strike me as a rare machine. The fact that it lists that it is a Pachinko Palace import is telling. Pachinko Palace is one of the big importers who brought Pachinko to the US in large quantities during the 1970's.

The $250 bid is kind of surprising for this class of machine, especially when it is not listed as restored. Sometimes fully restored machines will go for that much or more if a buyer is wealthy and is looking for appearance over collectability.

3. The following user says "Thanks" to DukeOfDelmar

Thanks
    Thanks Received

5. The following user says "Thanks" to DukeOfDelmar

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have restored several JAL machines and in my opinion, there isn't really anything special about them, other than some sentimental value a person may place on it. I restored one machine for a customer who found it on Craigslist for $40 - it was identical to the Pachinko machine he played as a small boy, so there was enough sentimental value there for him to spend several hundred dollars on the restoration.

To see one sell for $250 on eBay without being restored seems unusual, but then again I have seen a working Powerflash machine sell on eBay for well over $1,000 too! (I bought my powerflash on Craigslist for $35 )

Perhaps it is due to the particular theme and time of the year - someone trying to urgently fill a Christmas wish list??

~Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have a JAL, and frankly, I didn't pay nearly as much for it. (I paid $60) But ultimately, value is determined by the amount someone is willing to pay for a machine.

Of course, given that the current winner is a 0 feedback user, it's also possible that the seller is trying to artificially inflate the bids, hoping that the actual users will take the bait.
    InfiniteBlue
    Vintage: 1978 Masamura Super Deluxe, 1975 Nishijin B "JAL" Shiroi-Komame
    Modern: Newgin Trio, Bisty Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Angels Return (v4)

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to infiniteblue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by infiniteblue View Post
    I have a JAL, and frankly, I didn't pay nearly as much for it. (I paid $60) But ultimately, value is determined by the amount someone is willing to pay for a machine.

Of course, given that the current winner is a 0 feedback user, it's also possible that the seller is trying to artificially inflate the bids, hoping that the actual users will take the bait.
    Yeah, now that I look closer at the bidder, I smell a shill rat. 0 feedback, AND 1 bid retraction. I'd definitely run for the hills on this one.

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to DukeOfDelmar

Thanks
    Thanks Received

seems to be a well written add..

also looks like one bidder and someone running the bid up.. i feel sorry for the guy getting bid up
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks folks - my spidey-senses were going off and I didn't know why. This is a darn shame and pretty slimy for someone to rig the bid like that. The buyer should have EBay investigate this one.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I shouldn't say 'rig' - that implies malfeasance by the seller an I don't know that, so I apologize if I inferred judgement.