Thread: Problem w/ 1998 Macy Thunder slot...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Problem w/ 1998 Macy Thunder slot...

Hi everyone! I am the new, brief owner of a 1998 Thunder slot, made by Macy. I purchased this off CL as a Christmas gift for my parents...but it is having a problem somewhere with the tokens, I think...

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when the "Cr" error comes on - seems like most of the times it's when we win, and it should be spitting out tokens (sometimes it works fine, though). Other times it happens when we simply put a coin it. We do a soft reset to get the song to stop playing, and within a matter of a few minutes, it's happening again. We haven't been able to play for more than a couple minutes without it displaying the error.

Thanks to the posters here, I tried a few great suggestions from other threads - we've taken out the coin hopper...everything seems fine there. We've cleaned the photo sensor, and we've taken the magnet out where the tokens go in (sorry, I don't know a lot of the technical terms for the machine!). But I do know that I have about a week to get this sucker fixed - I really don't want to give my parents a busted machine!!!

Is there anything else I should try? I read somewhere about a hard reset, but that honestly terrifies me - I don't want to make anything worse!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Lulu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Problem w/ 1998 Macy Thunder slot...

From what you have described, I really don't think you have to much of a problem. Almost 99% of the time, when you are getting a "CR" error code, the coin mechanism just needs a good cleaning. Keep in mind that most of these machines haven't seen any type of maintenance in years.

You need to be careful in cleaning the photo cell sensor. Use window cleaner on a Q-tip and be gentle. As for the rest of the coin mechanism, use a "baby wipe" and wipe down the area where the token travels, the bottom track it rides on, the area where the token rides against, etc... Then I spray some furniture polish on a cloth and wipe down all those areas you just cleaned. DO NOT USE THE POLISH ON THE SENSOR!!!

Tokens like your machine (and work much better) when it is clean and shiny inside. Also, your tokens need to be clean and not bent. Dirty tokens can cause error codes.
    While you have all the cleaning "stuff" out go ahead and get that hopper clean and shiny.

I'm pretty sure this will solve your problem. Because, if the senor was bad it would not work intermittently, it just wouldn't work at all. Also, make sure the connection where the coin mechanism plugs in is secure.

Here's how to do a Full Reset and Change your Odds. You really need to know this information and it's pretty simple to do.

Changing Odds & Full Reset.jpg
    What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Problem w/ 1998 Macy Thunder slot...

Hi Wayne-Ooo, thanks so much for your reply and the tips! We cleaned the heck out of the machine, but still no luck...we tested it with the most pristine tokens we had, and sure enough, after a few, the error code would come on again. Sometimes we can insert 3 tokens and it will come on, other times we can get up to 45 before it comes on...I don't even know what else to do to try and fix it. Could a new coin mech be what we need?? I really thought it was the tokens, but even the "perfect" ones cause the error to come on...