Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to fix a crack in plastic

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Best way to fix a crack in plastic

Hi,

I purchased a new machine on eBay that my wife is going to have me kids surprise me with on Christmas. I knew from the auction that the upper ball tray on the front had a piece broken off that I was going to have to glue. The broken part was even shown in the auction placed in its spot so I could tell it was all there. The seller did not mention that there is also a crack that runs up the bottom of the tray as well. They are claiming they did not see it and that they are not responsible. Does anybody know the best way to glue something like that? I was not too concerned with the corner as it would not be supporting the weight of the balls but the crack does concern me. I won't be doing any restoration until after Christmas when I receive it but would like to address the crack prior.

Thanks for any advice,
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Best way to fix a crack in plastic

I just took two pics of the crack to show you.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Drill a hole small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading more. Then carefully pry the parts together and get some thin glue like superglue in the crack. Next repair the corner piece and you could reinforce the crack from the bottom with epoxy but I think the superglue alone will be fine.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Has anybody try this stuff:

Plastex Plastic Repair Kits

I have used something like it, that I can't get any more do to the EPA (the department of “if it works, stop making it”) and I am looking for a replacement product to use.
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

6. The following user says "Thanks" to cardwwi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by emmadog View Post
    Drill a hole small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading more. Then carefully pry the parts together and get some thin glue like superglue in the crack. Next repair the corner piece and you could reinforce the crack from the bottom with epoxy but I think the superglue alone will be fine.
    thanks. I bought super glue but was not sure. And had no idea on the drilling. Thx!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by cardwwi View Post
    Has anybody try this stuff:

Plastex Plastic Repair Kits

I have used something like it, that I can't get any more do to the EPA (the department of “if it works, stop making it”) and I am looking for a replacement product to use.
    this looks similar but was not sure if would work for a crack rather that a broken off piece. Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is the stuff I use.

http://www.plastruct.com/pages/Onlin...9;&CCode=PPC-2

It can be found at most hobby stores (well around here at least).

The stuff works great and fast. It goes and fuses the plastic back together.

My suggestion is to lightly clean the spot to get off the surface dirt then once glued go and polish the tray really good.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 12-03-2013 at 08:52 PM.

100 machines and counting...

10. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    This is the stuff I use.

Plastruct, Inc. - Online Product Detail

It can be found at most hobby stores (well around here at least).

The stuff works great and fast. It goes and fuses the plastic back together.

My suggestion is to lightly clean the spot to get off the surface dirt then once glued go and polish the tray really good.

Thanks! With this stuff it says instantly tacky. Do you just wipe any excess that gets on the surface with a damp cloth before it fully dries? I need to address it, I just haven't since I am wrapped up in my first one. I finished putting in all the pins today. Now just waiting on my new screws to arrive so I can put all the other playfield parts on. Getting there...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    Thanks! With this stuff it says instantly tacky. Do you just wipe any excess that gets on the surface with a damp cloth before it fully dries?
    Good luck trying. The stuff has already bonded in less than 30 seconds. The cap has a brush built into it, so you dip it and apply a good amount to the crack (pulling apart slightly) then squeeze it together tight. It will flow out and the stuff wicks into cracks so it works perfect. You shouldn't have to hold the part together for more than a minute or two.

So to answer your question. No don't wipe it off.

100 machines and counting...

13. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Good luck trying. The stuff has already bonded in less than 30 seconds. The cap has a brush built into it, so you dip it and apply a good amount to the crack (pulling apart slightly) then squeeze it together tight. It will flow out and the stuff wicks into cracks so it works perfect. You shouldn't have to hold the part together for more than a minute or two.

So to answer your question. No don't wipe it off.
    thanks, do you find it easy to work with so it does not get where you don't want it? I just don't want to have it get all inside the tray.

Thanks again!
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have been using this.finally 002.jpg It is an epoxy, mix equal parts, (syringe dispenses equal ammounts...usually),and stir. You have about 10 to 15 minutes to work with it. it is not runny, s easy t work with. When dry, about 30 minutes, you can sand and even polish with plastic polish. It is very strong! seems harder than the plastic yu are repairing...based on hw it sands compared to sanding just plastic.I have repaired a front tray with it.model A help 032.jpgmodel A help 033.jpg The frnt tray don't hold that much weight, so the 12 gauge wire was overkill and not necessary. I have even built up epoxy to build missing parts.2 FROM COLUMBUS 022.jpgfinally 004.jpg It can be bought at any car parts store,,,at least I have seen it at, AutoZone, Advance, and O'Rileys.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    I have been using this.finally 002.jpg It is an epoxy, mix equal parts, (syringe dispenses equal ammounts...usually),and stir. You have about 10 to 15 minutes to work with it. it is not runny, s easy t work with. When dry, about 30 minutes, you can sand and even polish with plastic polish. It is very strong! seems harder than the plastic yu are repairing...based on hw it sands compared to sanding just plastic.I have repaired a front tray with it.model A help 032.jpgmodel A help 033.jpg The frnt tray don't hold that much weight, so the 12 gauge wire was overkill and not necessary. I have even built up epoxy to build missing parts.2 FROM COLUMBUS 022.jpgfinally 004.jpg It can be bought at any car parts store,,,at least I have seen it at, AutoZone, Advance, and O'Rileys.

Thanks! I will check this out as well. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The hole drill is spot-on advice. It's how cracks in windshields and engine blocks are stopped. Since the hole will be small, if you want to fill it without removing the tray, duct tape paper over it, underneah, make sure it's tight, and fill it from the top. Sand it after it dries. My experience with Loctite brand epoxy is that if you use that to repair the crack, it will bear weight as well as it did before it cracked. If you are worried, though, put a piece of duct tape over the outside of it.

As far as the seller, it is possible it cracked during shipping, although most sellers will take responsibility for damage during shipping. If you are mad, but not enough to leave negative feedback, then leave no feedback at all, and tell them why.

19. The following user says "Thanks" to RivkahChaya

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
    The hole drill is spot-on advice. It's how cracks in windshields and engine blocks are stopped. Since the hole will be small, if you want to fill it without removing the tray, duct tape paper over it, underneah, make sure it's tight, and fill it from the top. Sand it after it dries. My experience with Loctite brand epoxy is that if you use that to repair the crack, it will bear weight as well as it did before it cracked. If you are worried, though, put a piece of duct tape over the outside of it.

As far as the seller, it is possible it cracked during shipping, although most sellers will take responsibility for damage during shipping. If you are mad, but not enough to leave negative feedback, then leave no feedback at all, and tell them why.
    thanks, I will be trying shortly to do the repair. I won't leave negative feedback, just none. I was not happy with their response when I reached out. They said they are not responsible and that it was not their fault and for me to deal with the PO, etc... They just were not very polite in their responses or trying to help. It is what it is...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    thanks, I will be trying shortly to do the repair. I won't leave negative feedback, just none. I was not happy with their response when I reached out. They said they are not responsible and that it was not their fault and for me to deal with the PO, etc... They just were not very polite in their responses or trying to help. It is what it is...
    If you paid with PayPal, it is their problem. It's part of the PayPal agreement.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also, IIRC, shippers only deal with the sender, not the recipient.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's true, and eBay will also help you, but the resolution is usually "return for a refund." If Mr. Toad wants to keep the item, he's probably stuck with making the repair himself. The seller should have at least been apologetic, and if he (or she) had another upper tray on hand, offered it; otherwise, offered a partial discount, or discount on future purchase. In my experience, that's what reasonable sellers do. Even if it was cracked during shipping, it wasn't necessarily the fault of the PO, if it was badly packed.

For comparison, I once purchased something that was mis-described, because the seller didn't know any better. It wasn't that I couldn't use it-- it was fine for what I wanted, but I let the seller know for the future. The seller apologized, and offered a refund. I said no, because I was still happy with the item, I just thought the seller should have the info for the future. The seller thanked me, and then without telling me, refunded the shipping cost (about 8% of the total). I gave her very good feedback. In spite of the mistake, there were good things, like the positive response, and how well the item was pack and shipped, as well as how quickly it arrived.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to RivkahChaya

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    Also, IIRC, shippers only deal with the sender, not the recipient.
    I think USPS will deal with the recipient if it is a question of fulfilling an insurance obligation for an item that is lost or destroyed, because it is payable to the owner of the item, who may technically be the recipient, one the item leaves the sender's possession. But the recipient needs the paperwork from the seller. That's my experience from the time a long time ago when USPS lost a money order. The money order people took care of refunding the money, but they required a claim to be filed, and I had insured the money order, because it was a pretty large amount (this was 20 years ago, and I was in the Army, with limited money-moving choices). The recipient took care of filing all the paperwork.

My experience with FedEx is that when an item is stolen from in front of your door due to FedEx's negligence, the seller will ship a replacement, but they insist on a more secure address. It's the sender's choice to use FedEx in the first place, though. I don't know what happens when someone steals a unique item.

28. The following user says "Thanks" to RivkahChaya

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    If you paid with PayPal, it is their problem. It's part of the PayPal agreement.
    Yep and I did. I am not sure what I will do. I am looking at my options.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm sure it's worth looking into, but be prepared for PayPal to say they can force the seller to refund your money upon return of the item, but that is all.

If you want to keep it, the repair people have described will probably hold just fine. I have a similar repair on an upper tray on a Nishijin B that my son plays, and it holds up to 300 marbles at the start of a game, and has been fine for a couple of months.

Regarding leaving feedback: does this seller often deal with pachinko machines and similar things? is a heads up to others worth it, or is not leaving anything better? If this is a one-time thing for the seller, selling a pachinko machine, maybe it's not worth dealing further with them, but if they sell a lot of toys or appliances, it might be worth warning people. What is their general feedback score?

I'm trying to remember how eBay feedback looks. I there's just three tiers, not five, like Amazon, and you can get bad feedback as a buyer if they perceive you as having gone straight to "bad feedback" rather than giving them a chance to deal with the problem. That's a real issue with eBay, when the only resolution they negotiate is return for a full refund. Once when I received the wrong item, and the seller didn't think it was worth paying the return postage, he instructed me to destroy it myself, take a picture of it and email it to him, and claim it arrived that way, after which he'd give me a full refund. I refused, and the situation got ugly. I understand why sellers don't want you to go directly to bad feedback without even letting them know there was a problem, but sometimes when you get fed up, because they refuse to resolve the issue any way but one specific way that suits their own needs best, and you leave bad feedback, they will claim in rebuttal that you did not give them a chance to resolve the issue.

31. The following user says "Thanks" to RivkahChaya

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast