Thread: What does Ultora mean?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What does Ultora mean?

Hi,

I searched and could not find this but what does Ultora mean? It is on tulips from more than one manufacturer. Not really important to my restoration, just am curious.

thanks,
    Mike

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What does Ultora mean?

maybe they came from this model??

ultora [ball-op] pachinko, sankyo (1973)
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The word 'Ultora' is written on my Comet II and I was under the impression that it was just the Japanese version of the word 'Ultra'

Sanyo Vintage Pachinko!! (Comet II) - Page 2

and you do find slightly different Japanese spellings of western words within pachinko, perhaps just due to the different intonations
    Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post

The word 'Ultora' is written on my Comet II and I was under the impression that it was just the Japanese version of the word 'Ultra'

and you do find slightly different Japanese spellings of western words within pachinko, perhaps just due to the different intonations
    Right, the Japanese alphabet is very structured, and mostly only allows for one consonant and vowel sound per syllable, in that order. (one notable exception being "n", which can be added to the end of most syllables). So in many cases, additional vowels are added to foreign words so that they are actually pronounceable in Japanese and writable using their alphabet. Here, it seems the "o" was added to make the word ul-to-ra, with "ul" probably just becoming "u" when pronounced, as again, there is no Japanese equivalent of "ul".

This can make for some words that look and sound vastly different. For instance, I seem to remember that "steak" becomes "su-te-ki" when written in the Japanese alphabet.

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to DukeOfDelmar

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Then I guess that would explain the "New Vangurd" on the front of my Dai Ichi.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    Have seen that badge more than a few times and always read it as "New Vanguard"; my mind put the "a" in there. But you are correct!

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post

Thank you and everybody else that replied. I was very curious about it. At first I thought it was maybe a model name for mine and then noticed on other Comet IIs but then I bid on and won an auction for a vintage Okumura Yuki (it is in transit now) and it is also on that machine so then I got really curious.

Thank you again for the information
    Mike

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Have seen that badge more than a few times and always read it as "New Vanguard"; my mind put the "a" in there. But you are correct!

In a way you're both correct. The photo shows the front of a Daiichi I have and it does say New Vangurd but at the bottom it says Daiichi Vanguard.
    IMG_0033.jpg

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    Thank you and everybody else that replied. I was very curious about it. At first I thought it was maybe a model name for mine and then noticed on other Comet IIs but then I bid on and won an auction for a vintage Okumura Yuki (it is in transit now) and it is also on that machine so then I got really curious.

Mike
    so Mike...I just dusted off my Pachinko today ...I bough it in the late 70's from an importer friend of mine that bought over a container full of games, but don't remember the details. At that time, I made a frame/box for it and used a low voltage transformer for the lights...I moved years ago and stored it. I dragged it out this afternoon...and with the info gleaned on his website found out it was a Sanyo Comet II and I thot it was an ULTORA model but no...after looking at this post. It has a date of "51'' so its a 1976. I will send along some pictures in a few days...it has a field of what looks to me,of kitty cat faces in a pouch. Post up if it has a specific model name and/or I made a mistake on the year...it is in VERY good condition and I will lite it up and post some pix. J.B.

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to brassballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by brassballs View Post
    so Mike...I just dusted off my Pachinko today ...I bough it in the late 70's from an importer friend of mine that bought over a container full of games, but don't remember the details. At that time, I made a frame/box for it and used a low voltage transformer for the lights...I moved years ago and stored it. I dragged it out this afternoon...and with the info gleaned on his website found out it was a Sanyo Comet II and I thot it was an ULTORA model but no...after looking at this post. It has a date of "51'' so its a 1976. I will send along some pictures in a few days...it has a field of what looks to me,of kitty cat faces in a pouch. Post up if it has a specific model name and/or I made a mistake on the year...it is in VERY good condition and I will lite it up and post some pix. J.B.

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Post up if it has a specific model name and/or I made a mistake on the year...it is in VERY good condition and I will lite it up and post some pix. J.B.
    Welcome to PachiTalk!!

By all means, start a new thread and post some pics of your machine, front and back. The good folks on this forum love pictures! If you have any questions, just ask. They are a very knowledgeable bunch, and are happy to share it.

21. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

By all means, start a new thread and post some pics of your machine, front and back. The good folks on this forum love pictures! If you have any questions, just ask.

so you have a Solo car? I squinted but I couldn't make out the marque. I have a Lola CF. My definition is: How to make a large fortune smaller...go racing. Definitely pictures are coming! J.B.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

welcome

I am new here myself and can tell you that you will be happy you found this site. Everybody has been very helpful to me.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

so you have a Solo car? I squinted but I couldn't make out the marque. I have a Lola CF.
    Yes I do. No surprised you don't recognize it, it's an old Formula Vee with non-original body work. The theory is that who ever built the body work was trying to emulate the Players Special Lotus. I get smoked regularly by a Van Dieman FF.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So here we go with some pictures. Definitely a Comet II as written in the back in raised letters. Ultora button in the front also.
    A little wipe off and leaning the Plexiglass and is good as new.
    6 volt transformer was used...as the bulbs in the machine were 6 volt. On/off switch is under the bottom frame.
    I left the original front door lock alone, and fabbed up a small wire piece to use as a plunger to unlatch the door by pushing down.
    ..you might be able to see the plunger in the top upper right of the fame.
    I used 1" x6" for the frame for wall mounting.
    The front Plexi door opens nicely and the Plexiglass is like new.
    A nice touch is the ball feed tray with two cigarette burns I the tray. Strangely enough the flip out to empty ash tray was very clean.
    The play balls have inscription "MIRI" but most are inscrpted with letter characters and red lines.

I have no idea what the characters in the back field are...a watermelon with a cat having mustache looing out of the melon???
    I have another machine that I am keeping an probably will sell this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

27. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to brassballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking Good
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have no idea what the characters in the back field are...a watermelon with a cat having mustache looing out of the melon???
    They are Daruma Dolls. Daruma doll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So here we go with some pictures. Definitely a Comet II as written in the back in raised letters. Ultora button in the front also.
    A little wipe off and leaning the Plexiglass and is good as new.
    6 volt transformer was used...as the bulbs in the machine were 6 volt. On/off switch is under the bottom frame.
    I left the original front door lock alone, and fabbed up a small wire piece to use as a plunger to unlatch the door by pushing down.
    ..you might be able to see the plunger in the top upper right of the fame.
    I used 1" x6" for the frame for wall mounting.
    The front Plexi door opens nicely and the Plexiglass is like new.
    A nice touch is the ball feed tray with two cigarette burns I the tray. Strangely enough the flip out to empty ash tray was very clean.
    The play balls have inscription "MIRI" but most are inscrpted with letter characters and red lines.

I have another machine that I am keeping an probably will sell this one.
    It looks great. . My playfield was completely yellow. Yours still looks white.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Daruma dolls...of course...

I was just testing everyone.

Seriously...thanx...

32. The following user says "Thanks" to brassballs