Thread: Pachinko Cabinet System Plans

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Pachinko Cabinet System Plans

As promised, this will be the official thread containing links to plans and information regarding my Pachinko Cabinet System project.

Concept Art:
    This is what the finished system should look like.
    Concept photo 2.jpg

Plans:
    Plans are viewable in blender 3D. As it is 3D modeling software, it may not be proper CAD software, but it is the tool I know how to use. Units are in inches as that is how I buy my lumber.

Cabinet Master (9" wide unit intended to contain ball lifter, shared ball-out tank, and power supplies)
    Cabinet Unit (24" wide unit for a single pachinko machine)
    Side Panel (any complete system will need two of these, one for each end)
    Cabinet Door

Technical Design:
    The cabinet units are conceptually composed of three vertical layers or strata.

The lower strata consists mainly of user-accessible storage, except for the master unit, where it contains the shared ball-out tank. It also contains the ball return ramps, and an electrical raceway for supplying power to the pachinko machines.

The main strata consists of the playing deck and framing to hold the pachinko machines in place.

The upper strata has room for battle counters, related wiring, and the upper ball feed reservoir.

The intention is to as clearly separate design concerns between the strata as much as possible. Building each strata can be considered its own sub-project.

Building Materials:
    The framing of the cabinets is specified mainly as lengths of 2x2 wood, with 2x4's being used in some areas to provide extra support for the pachinko machines.

Most of the sheathing is specified as 1/2" (finished width) material, with 1/4" material being used for some finish panels. Any cabinet-grade wood should be able to be used. I'm planning to build mine using MDF, with a black laminate for finished surfaces to give an arcade cabinet feel to the system.

Most fastening will be done using wood screws.

User-accessible storage:
    Each cabinet unit will function as a storage cabinet with a single, half-depth adjustable shelf. Half-depth shelving was chosen due to anticipated difficulty inserting and removing a full-depth shelf.

Leveling:
    The base of the unit will have furniture levelers installed on all 4 corners, to facilitate leveling each unit and make the joining of multiple units possible.

Electrical raceway:
    Beneath the play deck is a 3.5" raceway designed to run wires supplying power to each machine.

Pachinko Framing and Support:
    Pachinko machines will be supported underneath by 2 2x4's running perpendicular to the machine beneath the play deck. On the sides, Pachinko machines will be supported by 2x4's running the height of the machine. (These 2x4's may need to be sanded down for some pachinkos, as there is only 0.25" extra clearance between these supports over the standard 20.75" machine width. A top 2x2 crossbar across the top of the machine stabilizes the side supports without interfering with the payout hopper.

Upper Ball Feed Support:
    The upper ball feed area will be supported by the side supports of the pachinko machine, as well as two additional sets of 2x2 supports with cross-bracing.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. I will update this thread as new details emerge.
    Last edited by DukeOfDelmar; 11-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to DukeOfDelmar