Thread: Sanyo Ninja theme /year unknown / my first restoration

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sanyo Ninja theme /year unknown / my first restoration

Hello, I am about to restore my first pachinko machine. My father purchased it sometime in the mid 1970s I believe. It is a Sanyo and has a Ninja and I believe a girl fighting him in the center. I am going to try to attach a picture or two. The game was played for many many hours in my youth and has been traveling with me ever since but not working. I tried to get it working a few years ago but parts stick a little. I think it needs a total disassemble and cleaning. I have a few questions.

Does anybody know know the year of this machine?

is there a set of instructions for breaking down the whole machine?

My playfield is yellowed and has stains and I have read there are places to get new graphics for them. Does anybody have recommendations in where to get?

I am sure I will have many more questions.

This is is my second game restore, but first pachinko restore. I just finished (still have a couple things left though) a restore of a pinball machine that was my mother's then mine as a child. It is a 1934 Bally Signal. The pachinko restore seems a little more daunting to me due to what seems to be a lot of parts. This is my Signal restore: 1934 Bally Signal Restoration

Thanks for any guidance,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sanyo Ninja theme /year unknown / my first restoration

That is a nice Comet II. I like it!

A playfield replacement is quite an undertaking. Members Rival and Cardwii sell the vinyl.
    pachinkoplanet.com & pachinkorestorations.com

There are sometimes issues with that model, I call it the "sticky see saw" and it is easy to fix.
    <font size="3">

Your machine appears to be missing a dust cover; not a requirement but member browne92 sells them
    pachinkoparts.com. I don't see it on his website but maybe send him a note; if you have interest.

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Sanyo Ninja theme /year unknown / my first restoration

Forgot to welcome you to pachitalk.

And forgot to say that you did a GREAT job on the pinball game! But you forgot the flippers.

Also forgot to recommend member Rival's ebook. If you go to his website; there is information on the ebook (shows restoration of similar vintage machines / ebook is available on Amazon); also there is information on how to date your machine and some other answers to your questions.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

befor ya replace the cell/playfield take a good look at it.. it looks to be in perty good condition and the dirt should not be to hard to clean..

like posted above thouse comet machines are always sticky
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Mike! Welcome to PachiTalk!

Actually, we've already met...sort of. We're looking at getting a brand badge made for his Signal.

Carlw, I don't make that cover yet. That is the one I was going to have to make by vacuum forming and I haven't gotten to that yet. In fact, I need to finish measuring your cover and get it back to you.

Mike, if you proceed as carefully on your pachinko as you did on your Signal, you shouldn't have any problems. There are some stickys on this forum that will help, so will taking tons of digital pictures as you tear it down. I think you will enjoy pachinko, as they work similar to your signal...it all operates by the weight of one wee little ball.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks is for the reply. Yes I already found Rival's site and spoke to him via email. I will be buying his book. I looked at his playfield backgrounds and will check cardwii's site as well to see which I like better. Rival's did not have the same background as mine but saw others I could use.

And thanks for for the kind words on my Signal restore. I am very happy how it came out. It has it's warts but at nearly 80 years old I am ok with that.

Thanks again!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Forgot to welcome you to pachitalk.

And forgot to say that you did a GREAT job on the pinball game! But you forgot the flippers.

Also forgot to recommend member Rival's ebook. If you go to his website; there is information on the ebook (shows restoration of similar vintage machines / ebook is available on Amazon); also there is information on how to date your machine and some other answers to your questions.

13. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for the reply. It is in not bad condition. The yellowing I can live with but there is some staining which I believe is under the plastic coating that would not come off. I was going to live with it until I learned you could replace so think I will go that route. We shall see . Thanks again!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    befor ya replace the cell/playfield take a good look at it.. it looks to be in perty good condition and the dirt should not be to hard to clean..

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Bill, it is a small world

As Bill mentioned we are talking about possibly making a Bally badge for my Signal. Very funny we met on two forums.

Thanks, I plan on doing very carefully and lots of pictures. This time I will make sure they sync between my iPhone and iPad before I proceed as during my Signal restore my phone had an issue and lost everything on it including my early photos of the Signal before I tore it apart.

Thanks again and and will be talking to you soon Bill.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    Hi Mike! Welcome to PachiTalk!

Actually, we've already met...sort of. We're looking at getting a brand badge made for his Signal.

Carlw, I don't make that cover yet. That is the one I was going to have to make by vacuum forming and I haven't gotten to that yet. In fact, I need to finish measuring your cover and get it back to you.

Mike, if you proceed as carefully on your pachinko as you did on your Signal, you shouldn't have any problems. There are some stickys on this forum that will help, so will taking tons of digital pictures as you tear it down. I think you will enjoy pachinko, as they work similar to your signal...it all operates by the weight of one wee little ball.

17. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is a close up of the stains I was talking about. Is that the water stains that have been mentioned? I have tried cleaning it with no luck.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    Is that the water stains that have been mentioned?
    yes thouse are water stains.. light ones... we have seen them way worse..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yes thouse are water stains.. light ones... we have seen them way worse..
    That was what I thought. I was ok with the yellowing but really not so much the stains. I was going to disassemble and replace the background, but on average how often when doing that has the machine been damaged beyond repair? Is it common? I picked up the e book recommended and it mentioned about if the frame gets damaged during the removal then the machine is a goner. If it is common for that to happen I would rethink it and just clean the machine, but if not too common I would take the chance and go for it.

Thanks for any information,
    Mike

22. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtoad View Post
    if the frame gets damaged during the removal then the machine is a goner.
    im not the best to answer this.. I have never taken the time or felt he need to do a cell replacement... Im one of thouse that takes a machine for what it is.. clean it, sure.. make it work, of course.. replace or repair the broken, when nessary..

i have a perty good understanding of what it takes to do a total restoration but can not see any way that a frame get so damaged to render a machine "A Goner".. if your treating it that bad then your doing something wrong..

as a side note this also makes no sense.. the "frame" would be the first thing removed i dont see how it would be damaged

Thanks
    Thanks Received

im not the best to answer this.. I have never taken the time or felt he need to do a cell replacement... Im one of thouse that takes a machine for what it is.. clean it, sure.. make it work, of course.. replace or repair the broken, when nessary..

i have a perty good understanding of what it takes to do a total restoration but can not see any way that a frame get so damaged to render a machine "A Goner".. if your treating it that bad then your doing something wrong..

as a side note this also makes no sense.. the "frame" would be the first thing removed i dont see how it would be damaged

Thanks again for for the reply. I can see both sides of wanting it to look perfect or to take it for what it is. I still need to decide. And I misspoke when I said frame. What he mentions is the front case, so the wooden door that can swing open. By this time the back of the case would be removed. I am rereading it all right now trying to prepare for the disassemble for cleaning at the bare minimum. I think if I take my time I can do it though. Hoping to start the disassembly one night this week.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Mrtoad