Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my Pachinko Machine, Nishijin

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to alby13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Pictures of my Pachinko Machine, Nishijin

Yes, if your back is identical to the Pachinko Planet pic you linked to, you have what is commonly referred to as a "Model A" Nishijin, which was also my first machine.

The really nice thing about Model A machines is the built-in "recycler" feature, where losing balls return to the payout tray. This makes this machine very ideal for home play because much less refilling is needed. Very few models have this feature, I'm guessing it was rendered redundant by parlor ball-moving systems.

As far as electronics, there shouldn't be much - just a lamp or two. The lamp in the upper left indicates if the payout tray is empty, and a lamp in the center feature (not present in all model variations) lights up when the machine pays out. There are a couple of options to hook these up, if I recall correctly they are 10v lamps, some people power them with a 9V battery, some people install a transformer to be able to plug in to a wall socket. Mine came with a transformer, but personally I never bother plugging it in because it doesn't add that much to the play experience versus the risk of relying on a 35-year-old transformer.

Back in the mid-to-late 70's, these Model A machines and several other models were imported in large quantities to the US by a number of retail chains and sold as game room entertainment devices. The upside to that is that replacement parts are more readily available for this model than for some other models.

Your machine looks to be very clean - would love to see some pics of the back!
    Last edited by DukeOfDelmar; 11-03-2013 at 08:22 AM.

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to DukeOfDelmar

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by DukeOfDelmar View Post
    Yes, if your back is identical to the Pachinko Planet pic you linked to, you have what is commonly referred to as a "Model A" Nishijin, which was also my first machine.

The really nice thing about Model A machines is the built-in "recycler" feature, where losing balls return to the payout tray. This makes this machine very ideal for home play because much less refilling is needed. Very few models have this feature, I'm guessing it was rendered redundant by parlor ball-moving systems.

As far as electronics, there shouldn't be much - just a lamp or two. The lamp in the upper left indicates if the payout tray is empty, and a lamp in the center feature (not present in all model variations) lights up when the machine pays out. There are a couple of options to hook these up, if I recall correctly they are 10v lamps, some people power them with a 9V battery, some people install a transformer to be able to plug in to a wall socket. Mine came with a transformer, but personally I never bother plugging it in because it doesn't add that much to the play experience versus the risk of relying on a 35-year-old transformer.

Back in the mid-to-late 70's, these Model A machines and several other models were imported in large quantities to the US by a number of retail chains and sold as game room entertainment devices. The upside to that is that replacement parts are more readily available for this model than for some other models.

Your machine looks to be very clean - would love to see some pics of the back!
    i spent about 2 and a half hours cleaning it, more after these pictures. it works better and is sparkling more. good to know about the recycler, obviously i noticed right away when playing it extends play and makes it interesting. i love it. works fantastic. what is a ball-moving system?

ask and you shall receive: http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps989ad6a0.jpg
    you will notice it is not exactly the same, but it does say it was refurbished in Los Angeles.

i just finally cleaned up all the buildup and dust, got the jackpots to work although it did get stuck once or twice.

i think i'll go with a 9 volt on a switch. i saw one guy in a write up do that, but he did say it didn't last very long at all on battery power. is it better to put D batteries or like 6
    AA batteries 1.5v + 1.5v +1.5v + 1.5v + 1.5v + 1.5v =9v to last longer?

i'd like to know what my "Playfield" is and "center attraction". I wonder is mine more rare or customized/upgraded?

thank you for your response.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Pictures of my Pachinko Machine, Nishijin

I also have a 'Nishijin A' tucked away in the garage

Here are a couple of the pics for those members unable to follow outside links:

vintage 1.jpgvintage 2.jpg

If you are wanting to upload pics directly into the post, this link will help explain:

How to Post Pictures!!

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, welcome!!

Nice machine. Very clean. Doesn't appear to have been sitting in a barn for the last 30 years.

I shall have a Model A some day (he says with only a small amount of confidence.)
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to Pachitalk!

Well it looks like you have a 1971 Nishijin Model A - AOI UMI - Osaka (bat)

Can't really see if anything is missing until I get on a real computer. (Hard to load photobucket links on my phone)

Anyways if you have any questions just ask and once again welcome to PT.

-Max

Posted using Tapatalk

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alby13 View Post
    what is a ball-moving system?
    It's how the pachinko parlors in Japan get the balls to/from the machines without resorting to manual labor. Complicated systems of tubes and ramps running through walls, floors, and ceilings, like some kind of meta-pachinko machine. I've seen a couple videos linked on the forums before giving glimpses of such systems.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

@hanabi
    Thanks for reposting. I thought it might be better to show a high resolution pic. i took the photos with my DSLR Canon camera

12. The following user says "Thanks" to alby13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

speaking of which, what do you think the value is of my machine, real world vs pachinko otaku? everything works, all the wiring there.

I've seen $29-39 to $69 to $100 to $500+ for a perfect 100% restored

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    to Pachitalk!

Well it looks like you have a 1971 Nishijin Model A - AOI UMI - Osaka (bat)

Can't really see if anything is missing until I get on a real computer. (Hard to load photobucket links on my phone)

Anyways if you have any questions just ask and once again welcome to PT.

-Max

Posted using Tapatalk
    oh this is exciting! i'm glad to know the exact model. is this made in 1970 to be sold as a 71 model, or was it made in 1971 to be sold as a 1972 model?

i looked up 1971 and it shows a green top ball holder, whereas the 72 has blue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by alby13 View Post
    oh this is exciting! i'm glad to know the exact model. is this made in 1970 to be sold as a 71 model, or was it made in 1971 to be sold as a 1972 model?

i looked up 1971 and it shows a green top ball holder, whereas the 72 has blue
    It was built in 71 and was a 71 model. These machines aren't like cars. The years I give are always the build year of the machine. The machines were built for that year and were to be in use for 6-9 months then replaced. If you want to see the other models check out the catalog I made.

pachinkoboy.com - Nishijin Vintage Machine Catalog

Posted using Tapatalk

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    It was built in 71 and was a 71 model. These machines aren't like cars. The years I give are always the build year of the machine. The machines were built for that year and were to be in use for 6-9 months then replaced. If you want to see the other models check out the catalog I made.

pachinkoboy.com - Nishijin Vintage Machine Catalog

Posted using Tapatalk
    oh I understand. thanks this is great!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

actually I do have a question. right now my machine has a thin glass on the back that i think is original, and it looks like the front one is missing. i have a sheet of plexiglass. should i put the plexiglass on the front or the back slot?

there are two arguments:
    one, the balls crash into the back so i should install the plexiglass on the back to protect against that.

two, the front needs protection from things that might hit from the front so the plexiglass should be on the outside to protect the thin inner glass.

which is correct, or is this a matter of opinion?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to the Dark Side of Pachinko!

There have been many discussions of whether to use glass vs. Plexi in the vintage machines. The answer is always the same: it's a matter of personal preference.

I personally install single pane of glass in my machines because I like the tapping sound the steel balls make against the glass when you play the machine. It's also much cheaper than Plexi. Others prefer the Plexi either because it is quieter, or because it will not break if/when the machine is shipped or when small children play with it.

As for one or two panes, I only install one. In the parlors they used two panes of glass to help protect against cheaters with magnetic rings who would try to guide the Pachinko balls into the win pockets. The outer pane of glass helped prevent the magnet from controlling the balls.

I'm sure others will chime in, but in the end the choice is really up to you.

Again, welcome to PachiTalk and the to the Pachinko hobby.

~Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On the electronics, you can pick up a 9VDC transformer from pretty much anywhere, chop off the end, and attach the wires up in the top corner of your machine. You'll have two posts there for the electronics. I'd suggest 1-2A just to be safe; you never know what the current draw is on the lamps. My transformer's 2A, and I picked it up surplus new for $10 CDN.
    InfiniteBlue
    Vintage: 1978 Masamura Super Deluxe, 1975 Nishijin B "JAL" Shiroi-Komame
    Modern: Newgin Trio, Bisty Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Angels Return (v4)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

hard to see but it look like the leif switch for the jackpot is bent or gone???

cna you post close up pics for the lieif switches

pwe will be applyed to the orange and whit tabs.. how ya power it depends on you

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side of Pachinko!

There have been many discussions of whether to use glass vs. Plexi in the vintage machines. The answer is always the same: it's a matter of personal preference.

I personally install single pane of glass in my machines because I like the tapping sound the steel balls make against the glass when you play the machine. It's also much cheaper than Plexi. Others prefer the Plexi either because it is quieter, or because it will not break if/when the machine is shipped or when small children play with it.

As for one or two panes, I only install one. In the parlors they used two panes of glass to help protect against cheaters with magnetic rings who would try to guide the Pachinko balls into the win pockets. The outer pane of glass helped prevent the magnet from controlling the balls.

I'm sure others will chime in, but in the end the choice is really up to you.

Again, welcome to PachiTalk and the to the Pachinko hobby.

~Jeff
    ah i learned something new. i thought it was for looks all along. thanks, this helps me.

23. The following user says "Thanks" to alby13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by infiniteblue View Post
    On the electronics, you can pick up a 9VDC transformer from pretty much anywhere, chop off the end, and attach the wires up in the top corner of your machine. You'll have two posts there for the electronics. I'd suggest 1-2A just to be safe; you never know what the current draw is on the lamps. My transformer's 2A, and I picked it up surplus new for $10 CDN.
    okay so one of these wall plug types from my electronics bin should work then? 9V at 1 to 2 Amps I'll see what I can find.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

25. The following user says "Thanks" to alby13

27. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to alby13

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome, this should help you, wiring schematic and an manual for your machine.

http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/2B2SPS.pdf

http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/...0Model%20A.pdf
    Unless you try to be more than you are, what you are is all you will ever be.
    http://www.pachinkorestorations.com/

29. The following user says "Thanks" to cardwwi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast