Thread: stripping machines for parts

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default stripping machines for parts

i picked up a machine the other day and it was missing the bottom collection tray in the front of the machine and generally a very grimy machine. so i decided to strip it down for parts. the funny thing is it had the cover on the see saw and the lower track cover on it but missing other things. i needed both parts for another machine so that worked out fine.
    my question is do people take out the nails on the playing field when they strip a machine? i saw them somewhere going for a lot of money for a small amount of pins. i was thinking i could take them out and put them in a tumbler full of crushed walnut and polish them up. is this something y'all do or have done?

thanks,

AG

2. The following user says "Thanks" to ANGRY GARY

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, you can do exactly as you described with great results as many here have done. Actually, I'd venture to say that all the "professional" restorers on here reuse their nails. The only source I know of for new authentic nails is in Japan and they are pricey.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

4. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You can sell parts but good luck with it. Usually people are after just one piece and if you don't have it then your stuck with it. The people who list parts on eBay have them for several months waiting for the right person. Truthfully I just hold onto the parts and save them for future projects or wait till a member here needs the parts. Most people will check here before they go buy on eBay. (If they are a member that is).

Posted using Tapatalk

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: stripping machines for parts

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    You can sell parts but good luck with it.
    i have no intent to try to sell anything nor did i even mention trying to sell parts. if i can put it in a box,(and a very small box at that!), and put it on a shelf for future use then that's what i am going to do. if someone happens to need something i have in a box on a shelf then i am going to give it to them or trade it for something i might need.

all the hobbies i am involved in, to me, is about making friends, and helping each other either grow their collection or knowledge. if i can help do that by trading or flat out giving away a small part or piece then i will. nothing aggravates me more than those trying to squeeze every nickel out of every little piece or part they have. i have seen people hold someone hostage over something that means nothing to them but means everything to the other guy.

<<<<<off my soapbox>>>>

AG

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ANGRY GARY

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by ANGRY GARY View Post
    i have no intent to try to sell anything nor did i even mention trying to sell parts.

Sorry. The way you worded it, it sounds like you were looking to try to sell them.

100 machines and counting...

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's all good. Nothing personal meant by it.

AG

11. The following user says "Thanks" to ANGRY GARY

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with you Gary. I have ordered parts from Japan and then given spares to other members. I personally think that if you deem a machine hopeless for restoration, then why not use it for spare parts. I have not bought a machine to so far that I didn't have the intention to bring back to life. However, I think I will probably keep an eye out more for the hopeless machines. If I can get a good enough price on them, then I will part them out and of course, members can have anything they want, no charge.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

13. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark