Thread: Tell me about the blonde veneer on a Vintage...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Tell me about the blonde veneer on a Vintage...

(Maybe this question belongs over in Vintage... if so, mods, please relocate. Thanks.)

The blonde wood-pattern veneer (frame) on a vintage machine... I assume it's original. Most (all?) of the older machines I've seen are of this style.

Mine is pretty banged up and has a few chips along the edges. Plus, some of the screw holes for the front glass frame are reamed out and don't hold very well.

Is this something so traditional that it would be sacrilege to replace it with something else? In my world, everything is replaceable if you're willing to do the work.

I have a friend coming over this evening. He's a pretty skilled woodworker and furniture builder. We're going to talk cabinets.

I am almost certain this wouldn't be worth the effort. I know how to fix the stripped screw holes (coat flat toothpicks in wood glue, shove 'em in the hole, trim for length, let set, re-screw), but the chips bug me. I polished the brass jackpot lever to a Navy-quality shine, so... I may have an "issue".

-Dito

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Tell me about the blonde veneer on a Vintage...

I've not heard a definite answer as to what the blonde finish is. My guess is white oak with a natural finish that yellows over time.

The better reconditioned machines (in my opinion) have the old finish sanded off and a new finish applied. Rival applied a checker board finish to a CircuiT machine that I think is GREAT.
    So, to each his own.

Do what works with your decor. Do what makes you happy. If you have an issue with chips... sand it off and make it just the way you want it.

As Mopar says, if you're in the pachinko hobby to make money, get out. It won't work. In this case, I'm saying sanding or changing the blonde finish doesn't diminish the value of your vintage machine. Again, my opinion, for what it's worth.

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the few single shots that i've owned had the blonde color which i'm pretty sure is original and i prefer it but you can do what you want-it's your machine.
    i also like to keep things as original as possible but these are plentiful pachinkos, not rare cars or whatever. in the end if you don't have a problem with updating and using other materials then that's all that matters.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The finish is basically what Carl said. It is mainly the natural color of the white oak they used, they then put a very light white wash on it which yellowed over time. If you want something that looks almost like the original would have, I have found the Minwax stain in Parchment is almost exact. Minwax Water Based Wood Stain - Stains - Minwax I did color comparisons on machines I have taken the chrome and other stuff off and it is almost bright white under there. But compared to a bare sanded frame you can tell there is a little more white in the finish so they used a very light whitewash.

The finish doesn't really matter much. I am currently doing a machine for a guy and stained the front a cherry color and it looks great especially with his brand new background. (will post pics of the machine when done) I have also stained machines so the front is a really dark purple-red that is almost black. Just do something that accents the colors. (if your not a purist that is). The machines a basically pieces of functional art now so the cooler looking ones are always more desirable than the all original ones.

Take a look through the gallery on my site. You'll see what I mean. Gallery (also the first pic of the front overflow, that has the parchment stain on it.)

As for the frame itself, you could remake it but really why bother. I figured really the only way to easily do it would be with a big CNC router. I have reveneered the front of a machine before (with beech) and there is a picture of that machine in my gallery (Nishijin Model B derby, center column 3 rows from top.)

In simple words make it how you want it.
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 10-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.

100 machines and counting...

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman