Thread: Cabinet engineering - by a real engineer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Cabinet engineering - by a real engineer!

So I've got this vintage Sankyo machine I'm working on. I want to replace the crummy simple cabinet it's in.

Naturally, I did what any self-respecting nerd would do... I asked an engineer friend to help with the math.

Frame.jpg

He didn't understand that I planned to extend m regardless, but if you're interested in the formula, here it is. You'll forgive me for blurring the company logo... this wasn't exactly an official piece of client-billable work.

-Dito

(PS: the uploaded image version is a bit hard to read. If anyone really wants the original scanned PDF, just message me.)

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to bundito

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Cabinet engineering - by a real engineer!

So was this a design for the cabinet, or the feet?
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !

4. The following user says "Thanks" to heima

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool but be careful with engineers! They think they know everything about anything, and anyones advice who is not an engineer is inferior. Ive seen many times that their advice is wrong or not entirely true when they venture into something out of their realms, especially with electrical engineers. I work with them from time to time and they drive me absolutely nuts.
    I am looking for a Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star) Pachinko/Pachislo. If you have one for sale and are in the USA please let me know!
    Pachislo - Hokuto No Ken 2003 _ Pachinko - Evangelion
    7 2012 - Super Sea Story 2006

6. The following user says "Thanks" to PachiPachi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Speaking as an ex-engineer, I have to agree with PachiPachi. Back then, my ego was pretty damn big.
    Not all engineers are arrogant like I was, but it is a prerequisite for the university entrance exams. (joking)

What, you think I should change "was" to "am"?
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to heima

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i built my 4 paint tray mod stands without drawing any plans, it was all in my head

just measure and cut
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

there always in my head.. i work so much better on the fly... pick up a board and find a place it fits...

cut twice measure once
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree this looks like plans for feet or a base more so than a cabinet. I really think of my machines as much as art as they are a game. I wanted to make sure the cabinets on mine were somewhat uniform and complimented the machines.

I ended up purchasing my cabinets to keep them uniform and am very happy with how they turned out.

Game room.jpg

Although, I really think nothing compares to the cabinets on the cabinets on the machines on Pachinko Planet by one of our members...

"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I lost my original post to a browser glitch, so the OP above was a little shorter and lacking in detail - I was ticked off.

My goal was to figure out how to build a cabinet that would let me open the game panel without the whole thing keeling over forward.

I knew from my own college education (two-year degree in CAD, but with a semester on engineering calcs) that there's a formula involving masses, counterweights, and distance from the fulcrum point. I just couldn't remember how to work it.

Why do I want to open the game panel? Because I'm a machine nerd. I can't decide if it's more fun to watch the balls on the playing field, or to watch the various levers and latches tilt, open, close, dump balls, reload, relock, etc. I plan to add some LEDs inside the green plastic tracks to make it easier to watch.

As for these comments...

Quote Originally Posted by PachiPachi View Post
    Cool but be careful with engineers! They think they know everything about anything, and anyones advice who is not an engineer is inferior. Ive seen many times that their advice is wrong or not entirely true when they venture into something out of their realms, especially with electrical engineers. I work with them from time to time and they drive me absolutely nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by heima View Post
    Speaking as an ex-engineer, I have to agree with PachiPachi. Back then, my ego was pretty damn big.
    Not all engineers are arrogant like I was, but it is a prerequisite for the university entrance exams. (joking)
    I know this all too well. I'm sitting in an engineering company office at this very moment. The guy who did the calcs is one of the two or three cool engineers I've met out of dozens and dozens (he goes to Burning Man - at age 45 - and is also a semi-pro bartender).

Most engineers treat the designers/drafters like we're just trained chimps - CAD monkeys. This guy put me and my former work partner in for a special recognition award. We pulled a couple 12-hour days to whip up a series of drawings he needed for a legitimate last-minute presentation. Of course we didn't win - we're just CAD monkeys after all.

So now you know why I measure and re-measure everything. Nerd. I had some springs that needed replacing - I measured the wire diameter with a set of digital calipers. Likewise, I want to replace my cabinet lock with a working one that will open the game panel. I'm going to model the latches in 3D (Solidworks) before buying a lock.

I may have found my calling after all these years!

-Dito

16. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to bundito