Thread: Bad solenoids?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Bad solenoids?

Hey Guys,

I bought a Power Flash that appears to be in very good condition. However, the solenoids seem to be too weak to close the tulips. Does that happen? Is there somewhere that I can purchase solenoids for this machine?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bad solenoids?

I have a PowerFlash myself and love the machine. I am not sure about purchasing more solenoids, but if they all are a problem, I am thinking it might be something related to power. Wish I was more help.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wondered too if it could be a power issue. Is your power supply original to your machine? If so, could you post a photo of the back of your machine so I can compare it to what I have? Mine didn't come with a transformer, so I yanked one from another machine. It supplies 10 volts which is what the Power Flash says it requires.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by GoodToBeDad View Post
    I wondered too if it could be a power issue. Is your power supply original to your machine? If so, could you post a photo of the back of your machine so I can compare it to what I have? Mine didn't come with a transformer, so I yanked one from another machine. It supplies 10 volts which is what the Power Flash says it requires.
    10 Volts isn't enough for the solenoids as they require 24 Volts. that's why they're not operating properly. You need a transformer with a 110 Volt Primary (input side) and 24 Volts on the Secondary (output side). One rated at 2 Amps would be quite sufficient and if you can get one with a center tap on the Secondary at 12 Volts you could use lower voltage bulbs.

Radio Shack in the U.S. may have something that will work for you otherwise you'll have to go to some other electronics source. Someone else on the forum may be able to help you out with that.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

this is the one i have used on many a power flash and ya should be good

it also has a center tap for your lights

Power Transformer 25 2 Volt AC 2 Amp Secondary 110 Volt AC Primary | eBay
    Last edited by Moparformances; 08-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's a modern (new!) version of the same item...

PT-25266-R: JAMECO VALUEPRO: Power Supplies & Wall Adapters

Best of all, you don't have to deal with eBay or PayPal or someone's outlandish shipping rates. (eBay and PP are currently on my s*** list, so...)

Jameco is a pretty hardcore electronic component seller. Although you need to know what you're looking for, you avoid the markup from eBay resellers or someone who wants to sell "pachinko-specific" components.

-Dito

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bundto View Post
    Best of all, you don't have to deal with eBay or PayPal or someone's outlandish shipping rates. (eBay and PP are currently on my s*** list, so...)
    What does that matter when your a buyer. The seller gets stuck with the fees.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    What does that matter when your a buyer. The seller gets stuck with the fees.
    I specifically meant the shipping. The transformer that Mopar posted was a $12 item with $15 shipping. (Or something like that.)

That stuff can be brutal.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by bundto View Post
    Here's a modern (new!) version of the same item...

PT-25266-R: JAMECO VALUEPRO: Power Supplies & Wall Adapters

Jameco is a pretty hardcore electronic component seller. Although you need to know what you're looking for, you avoid the markup from eBay resellers or someone who wants to sell "pachinko-specific" components.

-Dito
    Jameco does have a good stock of items and I would definitely buy from them but it looks like the transformer you linked to is 50 volts on the secondary winding with a 25 volt center tap. They have other options on their site for transformers that have 24 volts on the secondary winding with a 12 volt center tap, which would be better suited for a Pachinko application.

eBay and PayPal have always worked good for me. Like anything else if the shipping is reasonable and the price is right buy it, if not don't. There are some people that have outlandish shipping rates but it's not really fair to discriminate against a system that works well for the sake of some people that are living in fantasy land. eBay and PayPal have no control over either what an item gets listed for or shipping rates.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Bad solenoids?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodToBeDad View Post
    Hey Guys,

I bought a Power Flash that appears to be in very good condition. However, the solenoids seem to be too weak to close the tulips. Does that happen? Is there somewhere that I can purchase solenoids for this machine?

Thanks!
    There is a solenoid "layer" of the machine. You can open the machine to get access to that layer fairly easily. Test the plastic movements to see if anything is binding. Sometimes the tulip wires get bent and need tweaking.

I don't know of a source to replace the solenoids and have the holes and everything else line up with the existing ones. Maybe google replacement solenoids or figure out a model number off one of them.

There are a number of things that could be robbing power to the solenoids. Dirty contacts on the fuse, bad diode solder, etc. An easy way to see if the solenoid is the problem is to use about a 2A, 24V, DC power pack. Clip with alligator jumpers to both sides of the solenoid and plug it in for a second. The solenoid should work and this bypasses all the circuitry that could be a problem. If the solenoids work, then work your way back to the transformer and see where the problem is. If the transformer is the problem; just plug the solenoid layer into your wall pack. Add a fuse if it is going to be permanent.

My guess about your problem is the diode board.

DSC02089.jpg PF TBird Power Block Back.jpg PF TBird Power Block Front.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    this is the one i have used on many a power flash and ya should be good

it also has a center tap for your lights

Power Transformer 25 2 Volt AC 2 Amp Secondary 110 Volt AC Primary | eBay
    Why bother with shipping from California when that transformer is still available from radio shack?

25.2V CT 2.0A Heavy-Duty Chassis-Mount Transformer with Lead : Transformers | RadioShack.com
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !

16. The following user says "Thanks" to heima