Thread: Maruhon from CL

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Maruhon from CL

Seen a vintage Maruhon on CraigsList about an hour from me. Knew I had to have it...therefore I paid a little more than I really wanted to...but it is now safely in my clutches!DSCF7966.JPG DSCF7967.JPG The front door is covered with cloth, much like the green stuff covering the door on a Sankyo. DSCF7968.JPG Tested the feeder tray with some of the rusty balls he had, and it feeds fine (still can't get the feeder to work on my broken Diana ). Looking at the back DSCF7969.JPG , it is complete except it is missing the track cover before the jackpot...and has a broken top tray. Cover can be made, and plastic epoxy can fix the tray to function like new. Some balls are trapped in the jackpot seesaw area.DSCF7971.JPG Can't see them in the pic...but they are there! DSCF7973.JPG The ever elusive jackpot cover is still there! I was able to test to a degree that I knew it would work...but the winning ball don't fall from the final chute. Something binding, or a ball somewhere it don't belong. I know it will clean up and function just fine!

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Maruhon from CL

Nice find pachiwall!

100 machines and counting...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Crappy indoor lighting! I'll post better oics in sunlight later!

8. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice find
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Removed the front tray for polishing. OOPS!, No before pics. Not as good as I expected...but good enough. Maybe.DSCF7976.JPGDSCF7975.JPGDSCF7974.JPG There are a lot of casting marks and ball scuffs left, no matter how much I polish.DSCF7978.JPG My question is...Do I leave it as manufactured' because it is a classic...or do I sand the bad spots smooth, and polish to a mirror shine, because vintage machines do not really have much inherent value anyhow? In addition to the flaws in the tray, there is a bump on the top tray dump lever that just bugs me!DSCF7988.JPGDSCF7989.JPG I may file that smooth and polish it. It absolutely looks better now,#1... Not as good as I expected...#2...would look 1000 times better if I sanded the aluminum smooth, then polished it! Do any of you think this will affect the value of yhe machine? 1st of all, Not much worth...not for another 100 years, anyhow! 2nd, I have no intention of selling it anyhow. 3rd, seems like NOBODY who is not a member of PachiTalk even knows what they are...much less, how rough should the casting be?
    Next, The cloth that covers the door is filthy! What would you use to clean it?DSCF7983.JPGWith flash...DSCF7984.JPGWithout flash. I expect some sort of automotive carpet cleaner. But thought I would check first.

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Personally, and I could be absolutely wrong but, I think you should try to locate a material that is as close to the original (if , in fact, it actually is original) as you can get and replace it. I suspect those stains are from rust on the metal underneath. I haven't seen too many machines that were so rare and collectable that the value would decrease if you cleaned and polished everything to better than new condition. I have considered covering a terribly rusty door panel with some lightweight, thin, leather-like vinyl or naugahyde, after sanding and sealing it. (No baby Naugas were harmed in this thought process)
    スカイダンス

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Skydanz

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i dont think you hurting the value by cleaning it up.. there are 2 kinds out there.. the keep it original and the totaly restored... your allready beyond the keep it orginal group so go for it and make it shine..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Maruhon from CL

Polish the tray up. Sand it up to around 700 or 800 grit. Then hit it with a buffing wheel if you have one. Otherwise SCRUB HARD!!! (With polish of course) Also for the panel try soaking it in a mixture of simple green and water (about 50-50 little more simple green wont hurt). Then come back in a day or two and use a scrub brush or old toothbrush and scrub it real good spraying pure simple green in hard areas. If you can't get it how you like it send me a PM and I'll ship you out some wall paper that is close to the original.

Posted using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 08-29-2013 at 03:15 PM.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    i dont think you hurting the value by cleaning it up.. there are 2 kinds out there.. the keep it original and the totaly restored... your allready beyond the keep it orginal group so go for it and make it shine..
    Actually I kind of fall into a 3rd group..."well cleaned, but not totally restored" Some of the work I have seen here is STUNNING! I don't doubt that I could do just as good...I just don't have time. I feel good getting them well cleaned, and functional. I don't really worry about value too much, I just wanted to get a feel for how others in the community felt. Almost none of my machines will be sold, and I probably couldn't make a profit because I don't get them as cheap as I would like. I can't spill what I paid for this one because I wouldn't want to give Max a cardiac arrest! I have already decided to sand the flaws out of the tray and polish it up nice...just don't have time yet. I did clean up the plastic parts of the door.DSCF7982.JPG <beforeDSCF8001.JPG<after DSCF7981.JPG DSCF8002.JPG I have not tried to clean the cloth on the door yet. I did put the parts back on so I wouldn't lose any parts.DSCF7997.JPG DSCF7999.JPG Except for a very tiny E clip that shot across the room when I removed it. Hopefully I have one on my Melted Side Tross machine. I do miss the days when things were made of more metal and less plastic. As shown here on the upper to lower tray ball release.DSCF7993.JPGDSCF7996.JPG

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    Polish the tray up. Sand it up to around 700 or 800 grit. Then hit it with a buffing wheel if you have one. Otherwise SCRUB HARD!!! (With polish of course) Also for the panel try soaking it in a mixture of simple green and water (about 50-50 little more simple green wont hurt). Then come back in a day or two and use a scrub brush or old toothbrush and scrub it real good spraying pure simple green in hard areas. If you can't get it how you like it send me a PM and I'll ship you out some wall paper that is close to the original.

Posted using Tapatalk
    Do you think soaking for that long would loosen up the glue that attaches it? I guess I could try, and check a few times a day to make sure the glue is not dissolving. Thanks for the offer, but unless the cloth falls off while soaking...I would rather keep the original cloth, even if it dont come as clean as I would like. Nothing to do with value, just like to keep as much original as possible...even if I sand and polish it more than the factory ever did! I will keep your offer in mind if I really screw it up!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Do you think soaking for that long would loosen up the glue that attaches it? I guess I could try, and check a few times a day to make sure the glue is not dissolving. Thanks for the offer, but unless the cloth falls off while soaking...I would rather keep the original cloth, even if it dont come as clean as I would like. Nothing to do with value, just like to keep as much original as possible...even if I sand and polish it more than the factory ever did! I will keep your offer in mind if I really screw it up!
    No it shouldn't. Just don't let it soak too long. I have soaked a Sankyo front panel for 24 hours. But I wouldn't go any longer (not that it damaged the cloth). At least with these they didn't use a water based glue like they did on the backgrounds.

Also the wallpaper I have, I used on Tiki Bowl Nishijin. It is sorta thick so it made closing the door hard but a Nishijin wasn't meant to have the extra thickness like your Maruhon or the Sankyos.

IMG_5890g.jpg
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 08-30-2013 at 12:08 PM.

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Crappy indoor lighting! I'll post better pics in sunlight later!
    As promised!DSCF8003.JPG DSCF8005.JPG The #5 polished off the feeder cartridge behind the door window...as I expected. You can see a #5 in the window in an earlier post...there is also a #5 on the back. Maybe someone had a few machines and was trying to identify parts. Seems like a less conspicuious place could b chosen! This is the damage hopper I mentioned earlier.DSCF8016.JPG Can be easily be epoxied. There is no electricity. Hopper balls are viewed through the window.DSCF8006.JPG At first, I thought there was a low ball light behind the red lens, DSCF8018.JPG But, as you can see...there is no place for any bulb, nor any evidence of wiring from a bygone era. While looking at the lack of wiring...I noticed this.DSCF8017.JPG Looks like something was pulled off of a rivet. Not a LOW BALL indicator. NO electricity. I love the lower tray...with its Maruhon signature shape!DSCF8007.JPGAnd an ashtray pic for Mopar! DSCF8008.JPG Someone painted part of the tulip.DSCF8014.JPG It has the bump that bounces the ball back, so that it keeps a open tulip open IF you win from a center hit. If you roll into an open tulip from the side...it WILL close.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 08-31-2013 at 03:33 AM.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall