Thread: Jennings Slot

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Jennings Slot

Picked it up at the airport today. Only issue is one burned out fluorescent tube and a coin jam when I first tried to play. Fixed that and here's a pic. I'll have more pics and a better write up next week. Heading out of town now.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is really nice!
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

4. The following user says "Thanks" to alphaminor

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Jennings Slot

Absolutely beautiful!!!
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the compliments. A purely mechanical slot is something I've been interested in for many, many years. It's amazing to me that this machine can payout out 5 different jackpots as well as all the other payout combos by mechanical means only. The only electricity used is for the marquee, reels, and the green catalin plastics. Catalin is basically a colored version of Bakelite. I spent some time with it this afternoon so I have some info on it. It was made in the last few years that Jennings made mechanical slots before electromechanical slots made their appearance and changed things forever. It opens from the front which is a departure from previous Chief machines and allows easy servicing as opposed to having to spin the machine around to access the back. A key is inserted in the side and the front panel with green plastics and bronze chief head swings open. The top casting then lifts up and locks in place to fully expose the mechanism. The entire mechanism slides out with the pressing of one lever and the mech works outside of the case. A screwdriver is used as a handle to activate the entire windup-reel spin-payout-reset cycle so any issues can be observed easily. Once the cycle is started, the spinning governor can be stopped and the reels positioned in any payout combo desired. The governor is released, the reels lock in the desired position and payouts can be verified.
    The jackpot reservoir are the coins behind the glass front and another reservoir of coins unseen above those. Coins fill up the coin payout tube and overflow into the jackpot. Once the jackpot is full they are diverted into the coin box. When a jackpot is won the bottom of the glass jackpot area opens and the coins flood down into the coin tray. The next pull of the handle closes the bottom and allows the backup jackpot coins to fall down into the glass area so that in the highly unlikely event another jp is quickly won, there are coins to pay out. The jp can also be hand filled by inserting a key into the bronze Indian head, removing it and hand filling the jp.

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bought some new, brighter bulbs and took a few more pics. I think it pays at about 85 or so percent so its great for home use. There's a formula for calculating the odds for any particular machine in one of my slot books so at some point I'll get the exact number.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What a great find!
    スカイダンス

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Skydanz

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Beautiful machine! I didn't know that any of the Star Chief machines opened in the front. Is there a date on it? I have a Mills front opening mechanical slot that is stamped 1963 on the inside. It has a "lazy Susan" pull out slide for working on the mechanism...but yours is still WAY cooler!DSCF7133.jpg

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't had time to do a thorough search to look for a date stamp. There's an original piece of paperwork glued to the interior of the case with writing on it that I haven't examined yet. I'll be doing a thorough documentation of the whole machine in the next day or so.
    From what I've learned so far, this machine was made in 1964 and I think this was the only and last year they were made. The Star Chief is a variant of one of the Continentals that has a star on some of the fruit symbols. If 3 of the same fruits line up with a star on them then it's a jackpot of 37.50. Theres also 3 star symbols that payout 50.00 when they line up. Also, the jackpot counter shows 1538 but its resettable so i dont know if thats accurate. There were only 460 Continentals made and they featured the same rectangular top marquee as the El Dorado/Governor and came in 3 and 4 reel versions. They also utilized the same light up tops and sides. I've seen them with red, orange, and yellow plastics in them. The main feature was the change from rear opening to front which was done for ease of servicing.
    Below are some pics of other Continentals with different payout schedules and colors.

16. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog