Thread: At the Antique Market

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default At the Antique Market

The first Sunday of the month there is a local antique market that is held at a local park (which was formerly El Toro Air base). Anyways we have been going to it the past few months and have usually brought stuff home (more junk we don't need usually) and often we also find a machine. We started looking around at home and decided we have enough of our own junk that we don't really want so we decided to get a booth for this months market. Sounded like a great idea at the time but I'll say one thing for sure is that it is a lot of work to get everything together. So we got everything together and I also decided to bring a few machines to sell. The Front Overflow I fully restored and currently have for sale on my website; my custom Sokumara-Ankyo franken-pachi; and a Nishijin Single Shot that we picked up a week or two before that we quickly repaired and polished briefly.

Overall it was a pretty nice day there and we couldn't ask for any better weather. Many people stopped by our booth mainly because we had 2 machines set up for play and were playing them off and on. Also everyone was immediately drawn to the single shot that I put at the end of the table. (odd how the unrestored one got the most interest). We didn't sell any machines that day (most likely because a majority of people there were bargin hunting) but we did sell enough stuff to pay for the booth and a little extra. Wasn't what we really expected, but when your making money it is all good. The weirdest thing though is that no one was willing to haggle on prices we had to try to encourage some people to.

Many people who stopped to take a look at the machines were telling their kids or friends that they use to have one and told them how it worked. We had one guy stop buy who said he had an "illegal" machine where the parlor could set it so it wouldn't pay out. Sounded really cool he says he also had a few other machines and some pachislo machines. I would think he was a member here but I forgot to ask. We also had a lady walk by and she commented on the machines and said that she had like 20 of them in her attic. (Really hope she sends me an email) We also got a lot of people who might be interested in restoration. So it was a good day for potential future business.

Anyways it was all great fun; even though I was completely wiped out for the next day or two. (partly why I am posting this almost a week after). We still had enough stuff left over and we have some friends with stuff that they want to get rid of that we will probably go back next month. (so if you see anything you like in the pics and want send me a PM. )

025.jpg026.jpg

Spoiler

100 machines and counting...

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: At the Antique Market

when I lived near Waukegan, IL we would sell at an indoor flea market once a month at the county fairgrounds, coins, stamps, jewelry and old stuff we found at garage sales

and I would setup and sell coins and stamps at all the local coin shows too.

never made a fortune, but I could buy wholesale and sell retail, some days I spent more then I sold
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese