Thread: Adventures in 3D printing Pachinko Pockets

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool Adventures in 3D printing Pachinko Pockets

As part of a customization project that I'm currently working on, I decided I wanted to try my hand at creating my own custom pachinko pockets to replace the little bunnies that once caught the occasional ball at the bottom of my machine. Unfortunately, the bunnies would not fit with my target theme Going for a Japanese Ryuu (dragon) theme on the machine.

Printing the pockets would give me a good idea of what to expect when I go about creating a custom center feature later on for the same machine at a much lower price

In browsing the internet, I came across a clip art image that gave me an idea about what I wanted to do. It's a little Koi fish splashing about in the water; a perfect fit given that the mythology around Asian dragons in general is that they start off as Koi fish. This is the image that I ultimately ended up starting with:

koi-fish.jpg

Nice and round shape that suits a lower pocket for a pachinko machine well. $10 later, I have a vector version of the file that I can work with, and the feel good sensation that comes with supporting an artist.

For the 3D modeling portion, I'm using PTC Creo Elements Direct Modeling Express, a free version of the professional Creo drafting tool that they produce. The program works OK, but ultimately had a number of interface issues that made things take longer than they actually should have. But hey, it's free, accurate for sizing and exports to the format I need for 3d printing, so I'll make do

I loaded up the image in a vector processing tool and cleared out a few of the details. At the scale I was working at, I wouldn't need the bubbles, nor the colour gradations on the scales or waves. It took a few tries to get the overall shape into an outline that I could import into Creo Express for quick and easy extrusion of the details. This ultimately involved ensuring that I exported one cohesive shape through welding/combining/intersecting the various shapes in the EPS file I bought into a DXF file, importing the DXF into PTC Creo Elements Direct Annotation and then copy/pasting the sketch onto a workplane in Modeling. Took me about half a day to figure out the magic combination of actions that would allow me to copy and paste into Creo. (And I'll detail them on my blog when I get to that point to save some of the technical stuff)

A few hours, power outage (lost all my work!), and then 30 minutes later, I had a workable model:

fishpocket.jpg

I kept the scale detail as more of an experiment than anything. I wanted to see just how small of details 3d printing could manage. (Ultimately, these initial prints were more to see if this was viable more than anything else)

I exported the model to STL format and uploaded it to Shapeways for printing. A few revisions had to be made, but eventually I got something that was printable. Placed my order ($6 for the two pockets + Shipping) and in two weeks, I had my pockets.

BRGccEWCIAEWgpz.jpg

New pockets compared to old bunny pocket.

As you can see, the scale details did not come out at all, which means I'll have to revise the design and put the details in in paint rather than in plastic. (I figured as much) The waves had no problem coming out.

The material I used was the Strong, flexible plastic in polished royal blue. The colour itself is very royal blue, so that's fine though the finish is very gritty. It almost feels like a very fine grit sandpaper. It's also very matte, so I may need to look into whether or not I can put a clear coat on this plastic without damaging it.

On reviewing the design I used, I have made the following notes for the "better" print that I'll do when I get my center piece artwork done:
    • I used 1mm width on the wall that catches and diverts the ball into the hole in the board. Given the material and general impression of the strength of the material, I probably want to increase the width to 2 or 3mm to ensure it doesn't crack under the constant pummeling of 11mm steel balls
    • Holes are lined up perfectly with the holes on my playfield, so my measurements there are good.
    • The rails I built in to the inside to divert the ball into the hole were too thin to print. They need to be 1-2mm wide as well.
    • I need to reduce the detail on the fish such that the holes/details are similar to the waves.

I'll be doing some additional testing on the material later on in the process, but I figured I'd show off what I had for those who might be looking into 3d printing parts for their machines.
    InfiniteBlue
    Vintage: 1978 Masamura Super Deluxe, 1975 Nishijin B "JAL" Shiroi-Komame
    Modern: Newgin Trio, Bisty Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Angels Return (v4)

2. The following 16 users say "Thanks" to infiniteblue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Adventures in 3D printing Pachinko Pockets

Awesome! I admire your talent. I have tried my hand at several different forms of CAD and have failed miserably. I have a good eye for engineering and design, just bad hands.
    スカイダンス

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very cool..can't wait to see more!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very cool! Really opens the door for customizations on machines. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've had a chance to reduce the detail on the pocket, and I'm planning on using the following:

koi_simplified_shapes_finished.jpg

Looking at what successfully printed on my test pieces, most of these holes should print successfully. Next step is to get it into Creo Elements Express to model into a pocket. Though given the scale of the piece, I don't actually know how I'm going to paint this without making a big mess of things. Brushes only go so small.
    InfiniteBlue

7. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to infiniteblue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Spectacular. That's really neat

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mhkohne View Post
    Spectacular. That's really neat
    Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i love this. finished pieces and painted?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not yet. I've been working on a replacement center feature as with the high shipping charges, I might as well get everything done at once.

I was originally thinking of doing a spinner, but in the end, I've settled on something a little easier to install. It'll just be a two-path "uber-pocket" that will hopefully have triggers to blink some LEDs that are going to go in the circles:

preview.jpg

I was waiting on some microswitches to come my way, but the switches I ended up getting are 1: small, and 2: may require more force than a pachinko ball might impart on it, even assisted by gravity. Unfortunately, I can't do anything on the back until I know what switches I'm going to use and their dimensions.
    InfiniteBlue

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to infiniteblue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Have you experimented with more than one color of plastic?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
    Have you experimented with more than one color of plastic?
    No. While there are 3d printers that can print multiple colours in one go, I have no clue on how to do it, and it'll probably blow the budget anyway. I'm already looking at more than $40 likely to print the center piece due to the amount of plastic I'd need to keep around for support. I can only imagine if the printer had the ability to print multiple colours what that would add in additional fees.
    InfiniteBlue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by infiniteblue View Post
    No. While there are 3d printers that can print multiple colours in one go, I have no clue on how to do it, and it'll probably blow the budget anyway. I'm already looking at more than $40 likely to print the center piece due to the amount of plastic I'd need to keep around for support. I can only imagine if the printer had the ability to print multiple colours what that would add in additional fees.
    We got a Makerbot Replicator 2X at school that I have been messing around with. Actually printing in 2 colors at once ain't that hard to do. The thing that is hard to do is you have to set up each color as separate parts and then merge them into one when you go to print. I have yet to make my own file that I print in 2 colors at once. And actually 2 color printing ain't much more expensive to do. The cost is raised by the extra setup work (merging files and adding extra spool on machine.)

Anyways, neat looking pockets. There hasn't been anything that I have printed for a machine yet but I did print a deflector for my cabinet (and probably print another for a customers cabinet).

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What a great idea. I wish you the best of luck. Now a suggestion.

You do not need to use a paint brush to paint the plastic. If you lower the viscosity, the area to be painted can act like a tray. You just put a drop of paint in, and using something like a toothpick, you can move the paint around.
    If you printed the pocket in white plastic, it would give you the best colors. However, if you print in blue, it is less painting, but you have to deal with the plastic changing the color of the paints.

You could create this with just 4 colors, plus black.
    koi_simplified_shapes_finished.jpg
    The black outline is created by a rubber stamp method. Where the finished pocket is stamped to a pad of black paint.
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !

17. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to heima

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm already looking at more than $40 likely to print the center piece due to the amount of plastic I'd need to keep around for support.
    I've wondered about that. While 3D printing is the newest and coolest technology, I figured it wasn't the cheapest.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post
    I've wondered about that. While 3D printing is the newest and coolest technology, I figured it wasn't the cheapest.
    I think it's because it's still relatively new and there are few enough companies doing it that prices are still somewhat high. As technology improves and software gets easier to use, I'm sure these prices will start coming down in price.
    InfiniteBlue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think it's because it's still relatively new and there are few enough companies doing it that prices are still somewhat high. As technology improves and software gets easier to use, I'm sure these prices will start coming down in price.
    Agreed, as with all technology. I remember when VCR's were $1500 and microwave ovens were $650. But it will have to come down quite a bit before the price of the machine and consumables makes it justifiable in the pachinko world. Consider your center feature. $40 in plastic, plus design and CAD time. I know its for your personal use, but easily worth $100. Not many would put that kind of money for 1 part in a $25 machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Agreed, as with all technology. I remember when VCR's were $1500 and microwave ovens were $650. But it will have to come down quite a bit before the price of the machine and consumables makes it justifiable in the pachinko world. Consider your center feature. $40 in plastic, plus design and CAD time. I know its for your personal use, but easily worth $100. Not many would put that kind of money for 1 part in a $25 machine.
    Not many, but I thought the pachinko fans were a special breed? XD I primarily wanted something to do with my time, and it's worked out well. Hopefully I can spend a bit more time on it after I move.
    InfiniteBlue

22. The following user says "Thanks" to infiniteblue

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not many, but I thought the pachinko fans were a special breed? XD
    I'm doing a lousy job of explaining myself, so I'll give it one last shot.

I am by no means saying you are wasting your time and money on your machine. Believe me, if there is anyone on this planet who knows about putting time and money into a (monetarily) non-deserving project, it's me. Witness the unfinished entertainment center that I could have bought for a tenth of what I've put into it so far. It's your time, your money, and your machine. All limitations are off.

My frustration comes when people believe that 3D printing is the cure all. Take a picture of the piece, so it's in the computer. Press a button, and the printer makes the part, right? And since it's plastic and the computer does 'all' the work, it's cheap, right?

I know all the hours I've spent programming my CNC router. I'll bet 3D printing is no different, even if you have the technology to convert CAD to STL. Just drawing up a part in 3D is no cake walk, especially if it has any complexity to it.

Most folks just see what the media presents to them. Look, the machine makes a part! They never show the work or money or skill put into it before the machine is even turned on.

Enough old man rant. Back to work.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My frustration comes when people believe that 3D printing is the cure all. Take a picture of the piece, so it's in the computer. Press a button, and the printer makes the part, right? And since it's plastic and the computer does 'all' the work, it's cheap, right?

I know all the hours I've spent programming my CNC router. I'll bet 3D printing is no different, even if you have the technology to convert CAD to STL. Just drawing up a part in 3D is no cake walk, especially if it has any complexity to it.
    Don't get me started about 3D scanning parts. I have tried 2 ways using 2 different technologies and both are equally hard to do. We have a Next Engine 3D scanner at school (nice unit) but it is a pain to assemble all the scans to make an actual part. I have also tried Autodesk's 123D Catch and that just didn't work for me at all.

Also the hard part isn't converting CAD to STL. It is converting CAD to CAD or STL to CAD because you screwed up or want to change something. I have 3 or 4 extra programs for the sole purpose of converting files. I wait for a day when all CAD programs use the same file type.

100 machines and counting...