Thread: Shipping experiences with domestic vendors

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Shipping experiences with domestic vendors

So I am about to pull the trigger on the purchase of a pachinko from a domestic vendor.
    It seems that the shipping is reasonable $80-$90, considering that by my checking prices online from fedex, ups, etc, it ranges from $120 to $200.
    However, the insurance seems extreme $50-$60. It seems that other vendors, and ebay sellers, do not have this fee.

It this the way it goes with the particular shipping courier that the vendor has chosen, that the shipper is inexpensive, but makes up the margin in expensive insurance?

Or is this a third-party insurance?

Given your experiences, is this insurance not really necessary, considering the probability that the only thing to break is the glass, and a plexiglass replacement can be had for, say, $20. Or has shipping (domestically) been nightmares and the $50+ fee is a bargain and guarantees a whole, functional pachinko?

And what about the return shipping of the freight damaged pachinko, who pays for that?

Should I just consider that $80-$90 (vendors shipping) plus $50-$60 (vendors insurance) is effectively less than $120-$200 (my shipping and insurance)?

Please tell me of your domestic shipping experiences.

Thank you much

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Shipping experiences with domestic vendors

had both good and bad with both of the major shippers..

ya win some and ya lose some..

I hate insurance.. but one time the seller demanded it and the machine was a total loss.. dont wana name names but the boys in brown sure tried there hardest to ruin that poor machine

to be honest 50 to 60 for insurance seems outrageous...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Both major carriers are good choices. They both ship packages using the same methods so it comes down to the actual people handling the boxes. I've had good luck with UPS over the years and the few times people have shipped FedEx to me, there's been no issues.
    That insurance sounds ridiculous. UPS provides free insurance up to the first 100 and then its maybe a dollar for every hundred after that.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have only shipped machines by UPS. Mainly because I get a slight discount with them. I haven't had anyone complain about a machine showing up damaged in any way. I have also received machines sent by Fedex and there again no problems. The problem usually lies on how well it is packed. You just have to pack it in mind that it may fall out of a truck or be ran over by one. I did ship a modern before and they are big and heavy. So $80-90 sounds reasonable cost me almost $70 to ship one to a member in Arizona.

$50-60 for insurance sounds high though. I always ship my machines with it and it doesn't cost hardly anything. (Usually insured for $500 and up). So I think someone might be trying to gather in some extra profits there.

100 machines and counting...

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Fedex Lies and Delays packages .

On Saturday Sept 3, 2016 I won on Ebay a Revenge of Darth Vader Pachinko Machine from Akimono and they shipped the Machine by Fedex on Tuesday Sept 6, 2016 Now on Tuesday Sept 13 ,20016 Fedex LIED reported it was on a Delivery truck today and then I went on Fedex Tracking and it stated in Red that I wasn't at my address All Day and left a note at the door Which the Liar Delivery person did not . I Contacted Fedex and was informed that Fedex Accidentally Scaned that Pachinko package and was not on the truck W.T.F.

I talked to Pedro at the Watsonville,California fedex hub and He Stated that The Pachinko Machine Will Be Delivered to My Door Tomorrow Wednesday Sept 14,2016 Between 10 AM to 2 PM Hopefully Perfect Condition .

Fedex Wasted My Whole Day With Lies .
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 09-13-2016 at 10:15 PM.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

maybe its on the truck and the guy is taking tomorrow off, so he won't have to carry it
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

9. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah I was thinking that . Fedex is saying "Sorry" and I said " Don't say Sorry just give me a solution to this Foul up ."
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I order lots of stuff online and always take that tracking info with a grain on salt, since still relies on error prone humans to scan packages/update delivery status I've also had shipment tracking from UPS say my package is on the truck locally "out for delivery" but not get the package till the following day....Even the USPS has screwed up and taken 2 days to deliver live axolotls (Mexican aquatic salamanders) to me when next business day service ("guaranteed" overnight air mail delivered by 11AM next day) was paid for. Luckily for me (and the axolotls) they didn't die in transit in the summer heat, I was pretty annoyed, but all's well that ends well I suppose! Hopefully it will arrive in good shape today, that machine is pretty fun to play! (for a digipachi)

12. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Sandwich Shooter stampeed valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

My experiences with the Big 3 FedEx, UPS, USPS.. have all had their ups and downs.
    My last few deliveries were from Akimono.. they use FedEx... and FedEx literally beat the crap out of the machines.. Frank normally packs the machine in a box, and then puts it in another box filled with a crap-ton of packing peanuts..
    Then My FedEx driver gets a hold of it.. tears the outer box open, spills peanuts everywhere and then decides to beat up the inner box just for good measure...

Sounds funny... yea it wasn't

14. The following user says "Thanks" to stampeed valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had an excellent FedEx driver, he always handled them carefully and would put the box in my hallway to save moving them inside

I even invited him inside once to check them out
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

16. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I recently shipped My Modern Popeye Pachinko Machine thru U.P.S. from Monterey, Ca to Germany in a double wall wardrobe Moving box with 6" around padding and one of our New members got it in Perfect Condition

Why Fedex wants to Stomp on their Reputation in United States of America by destroying peoples property I would think Fedex should be going out of business within a couple years .

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Howdy Folks

Well The Star Wars Revenge Of Darth Vader Arrived Today at 2:25 Pm ( 1425 hours ) and in Excellent shape ( one added volume control was smashed but I had a few spares that I bought off of Ebay ) All is good now but 7 Days to ship across the country ?? Outer and inner box no damage .

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The most recent pachinko I received arrived via UPS. The driver backed into my driveway to make the distance as short as possible. I missed how the driver lowered it from the truck to the ground, but once there he 'walked' the box by pivoting on a corner and swinging another corner forward, then pivoting on the new corner to swing the far corner forward. Once he got to the porch steps he laid the box against the steps and slid it up the points of the steps using that like a ramp. Once on the porch he lifted a corner and did the pivot/walk to get it basically centered on the porch. The corners of the outside box were dented in from the pivot/walk, there was a rip in the outer box also. That said, the inner box was in great shape, the peanuts between the two boxes had many mashed flat or reduced to tiny particles; the pachinko was perfect. This was an eBay purchase and the tracking info said starting that date or 2 weeks later; it was 'won' on the 10th, and arrived on the 14th. However the online track info never actually showed as 'shipped' yet.