Thread: Unfortunately, YOU are on Candid Camera

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Unfortunately, YOU are on Candid Camera

Not good. :02:

Surveillance Cameras More Common Everyday
    By SIOBHAN McDONOUGH, Associated Press WriterSun Apr 17,12:39 PM ET

It's there when you ride an elevator and make a purchase in a store. There's no escaping it in a museum. Look up at the stoplight and a camera may be watching you.

Being lens-shy just doesn't cut it in today's camera-crazed world. Chances are, during a good part of your day, there's a camera nudging into your private space.

There's no doubt surveillance cameras can aid police and protect property. Videos showing crimes are played routinely on news programs to help catch perpetrators.

But those same cameras can make people feel violated and uneasy. Their broad sweep makes no distinction between revelers at a parade and wrongdoers at a riot. And they never blink.

"I don't like to be watched," said K. Ann Largie, 29, of Laurel, Md. "It makes me feel uncomfortable."

Nikki Barnett, 31, of Burtonsville, Md., stopped showcasing her "happy dance" in elevators after learning many of them are monitored by cameras. "I stopped doing silly things," she says. "I don't want to portray myself in a certain light."

Closed-circuit cameras are spreading in cities, a trend hastened by concerns about terrorist attacks but by other reasons, too, including the mere availability of the technology.

"If I'm mugged at an ATM, I'm glad the bank has cameras so the person can be tracked down," said Justine Stevens, 32, of Arlington, Va. "But cameras in elevators monitoring behavior seems weird."

Indeed, for every videotaped image of a crime that leads to an arrest there are dozens of perfectly innocent moments captured.

"Cameras used for specific suspects and at specific times, that's good law enforcement," said Peter Swire, professor of law at Ohio State University. "But I don't want it part of my permanent record every time I scratch myself on a public street."

In Nashville, Tenn., a middle school installed cameras that parents, in a $4.2 million lawsuit, said captured their kids in various stages of locker-room undress. School officials say the cameras were put up in plain view to watch an outside door and hallway.

Perhaps nowhere are cameras more ubiquitous than in the nation's capital: federal buildings, museums, parks, traffic lights.

Some are discreetly placed in elevator ceilings and lamp posts. Others are more obvious, such as one fixed near an American flag adorning the Justice Department.

Some closed-circuit cameras run around-the-clock. Others come on for specific events. In Washington, 14 police cameras roll during parades, demonstrations and when the city goes on high alert. They are turned on a half-dozen or so times a year, and the police department publicizes it.

Kevin Morison, the department's spokesman, said there was a lot of hyperbole when the cameras were introduced. Critics claimed police were watching people leave home to go to work, then come home at night. "Frankly, we have no interest in doing that, or capacity to do that," he said.

That system is part of a larger one. At a police command center, feeds from those cameras are watched along with those from the city's subway system, transportation department and more.

Critics contend the camera lies or at least misleads. An innocent conversation can appear conspiratorial, depending on the angle, the lighting or many other factors.

But Paul Rosenzweig, senior legal research fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation, said today's world demands that people be more open to the use of cameras.

"You can't sweep back the tide of technological development and you can't blink your eyes to necessity," he said. "We are in a changed circumstance today. For us, September 11 brings it home."

Chicago is working on plans to link more than 2,000 public surveillance cameras in a network that would use sophisticated software to alert authorities to potential crimes.

In Los Angeles, the police department recently deployed a remote camera surveillance system that is used to identify, track and record criminal activity in some parts of the city. The system is equipped with "intelligent" video capabilities and facial recognition software.

New Orleans is installing a sophisticated crime-fighting system of bulletproof cameras, each capable of eyeing an eight-block area. So far, about 240 of the proposed 1,000 cameras are in operation. New Orleans officials say their system has plenty of safeguards against abuse. Cameras are not routinely monitored and video is stored for a brief period, to be watched if a crime is reported. Only a few officers have access to the video and they look at it only in response to a specific report, officials said.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Unfortunately, YOU are on Candid Camera

Personally, since this is my business. I like them. I love them and hope more and more and more people buy them!
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hate the whole idea. It's a big brother thing. You pick your nose, you look cross-eyed at someone, whatever, you're on camera. Where can one be private anymore? Little by little we are losing our rights. (But, I hope your business does well. )

Thanks
    Thanks Received

slotter,

tulsa may be watching all of us???????
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

bwahahaha

watch out!

Utopia1dc

I don't know exactly how I stand on this issue. On one hand I'm not big on people watching me, but on the other hand we caught a lot of employees stealing with cameras. So it is very helpful if used responsibly.

I guess if you're not doing anything wrong, it doesn't matter who is a watching!

But then again, privacy is nice.

Told ya I was on the fence on this one!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We recently installed 7 cameras and a DVR (digital video recorder) and associated equipment in 125 Checkers/Rallys Restaurants around the country. Since we completed the installation just after Jan 7th 05, we have caught 100% of all thefts, robberies, burglaries, false slips and falls, hold-up's, everything, without fail. Nothing has been missed on camera.

The return on investment to the Checkers corporation has been outstanding. Someone claims they were held up when they weren't, we have it. Someone claims they slipped and fell on a slippery floor and didn't, we have it. There is a lot of shady people out there trying to take advantage of anyone and everyone. We stop it, plain and simple.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Unfortunately, YOU are on Candid Camera

and don't forget about employees spitting on or dropping our food or not washing after using bathroom!!!!

over 40 years ago a friend of mine worked at mcdonalds, they would catch grasshoppers and blend them in milkshakes, nasty customers got their special shakes.

i know a guy who used to cook for denny's, he relieved himself in the pancake batter just for fun,

enjoy your fast food haha!!!!!

Utopia1dc

i know a guy who used to cook for denny's, he relieved himself in the pancake batter just for fun,

enjoy your fast food haha!!!!!
    Now that's some piss poor service.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yuk. Now that makes me start to LIKE the cameras, LD!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ya all just shot the hell out of my eating out UGH
    These are my opinions and no body elses and you can't have them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i never worry about eating out, it causes to many grey hairs.

and i'm getting enough of them already!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The cameras are there, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it. So why not have fun with them, if your gonna pick your nose, find a camera and get reeeeal close. Gonna scratch yer butt? face it towards a camera. Wave at them, make faces at them, might as well enjoy yourself and not worry about it, cuz they are here to stay. :aetsch:

This is my personal opinion, or of the voices in my head, and are not meant to reflect the opinion of this board.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Don,

Like you and George Orwell, I, too, have the same concerns. I have an inate distrust of folks in power - somewhat like T. Jefferson and T. Payne. Payne was considered paranoid, and Jefferson was a treasonous rebel. Sound like good folks to me.

Best wishes,
    Dave Wile

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by David Wile
    Hey Don,

Like you and George Orwell, I, too, have the same concerns. I have an inate distrust of folks in power - somewhat like T. Jefferson and T. Payne. Payne was considered paranoid, and Jefferson was a treasonous rebel. Sound like good folks to me.

Best wishes,
    Dave Wile
    Amen, David.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are and will be many inventions that may hold the potential for abuse. But these inventions also have a great potential for improving quality of life and services for the populace. YES there will be branches of government that will misuse these technologies. But they already do and have done so in the past. This doesn't negate the importance of having these items in place. Our government as it stands, in the year 2005, has a great many checks and balances in place. Add to this the many non-governmental organizations that help keep the government in check. Needless to say, I have no problem with use of cameras.
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"I have such reliance on the good sense of the body of the people and the honesty of their leaders that I am not afraid of their letting things go wrong to any length in any cause." --Thomas Jefferson to C. W. F. Dumas, 1788. ME 6:430
    Life
    It's what happens
    When you least expect it.