Thread: Need help with de-pinning an Omron lock

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Need help with de-pinning an Omron lock

Finally getting around to de-pinning the Omron lock on my JAWS machine. I went through the directions in this thread in the Research Center...

PachiTalk Research Center - FAQ - Pachinko - Pachinko Lock Conversion for 'Omron' Lock - PachiTalk

I have the lock out of my machine but it appears to be newer than the one in the thread. I cannot figure out how to get into the lock cylinder.

Here are pictures of the lock front and back. Hopefully someone has tackled this before.

lock front.jpglock back.jpg
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

2. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Need help with de-pinning an Omron lock

Here is a picture of the back with the "Dog Tag" removed...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

My guess is these four pins are what holds the back of the lock together. Not sure how to proceed though, as I do want to be able to re-assemble the lock...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks like the cylinder can't come out the front nor out the back. I assume that the barrel has no openings on the bottom? If not, then you might have to drill out the rivet heads, remove the back plate, and disassemble from there. Then re-assemble and epoxy at the rivet locations.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you use a countersink bit, to remove just the mushrooming of the rivet, and hope that the holes in the back plate are not countersunk, then on reassembly, the rivets should fit snug to the back plate, and the epoxy should hold fine. If there was a side view, we could see how much mushrooming.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by heima View Post
    It looks like the cylinder can't come out the front nor out the back. I assume that the barrel has no openings on the bottom? If not, then you might have to drill out the rivet heads, remove the back plate, and disassemble from there. Then re-assemble and epoxy at the rivet locations.
    You are correct, there are no openings on the barrel at all. I am not sure I am debating tampering with the rivet heads. It really appears that is the only way to get into the cylinder. I may have to take this to my local lock smith, he has been great with helping with my other machines.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I wish I could easily edit my posts. Anyway, I misled you a little there. Use a grinding wheel to remove the mushrooming. If after that the backing plate is countersunk, then use a countersink bit to remove the mushrooming.

Lets say that it is countersunk, and after you do all this work, the backing plate is kind of messed up and the rivet pins are as well. So much that epoxy won't work. You can drill tiny holes, tap them, and insert countersunk (flathead) screws to replace the rivets. You might have to grind down where the screws pass through the flange, depending on the tolerances where the lock installs. You might also have to mod where the lock installs, to accommodate the screws as well.

Hmm, a new lock and key is starting to sound easier. Are those available anywhere cheap?

I am really typing before my brain catches up.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is the best picture from the side I could come up with...

I have tried looking for a new cylinder and key but no luck so far.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the picture. It doesn't look like the back plate is countersunk. I don't know how much time you want to put into this, but you could try this alternative. There is a good chance that the lock body is Zinc or Tin. Check with a magnet. If so, because these are softer metals, you might be able to cut the mushrooming with a small wood chisel. Work your way around the rivet head, nipping off little pieces around the circle. You could use a small cold chisel, but the edge on a cold chisel is usually double beveled, and too "fat". Or, you could just shear off the head of the rivet with the wood chisel.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think removing the mushrooming will be pretty easy, my fear is not being able to get it to stay back together when I re-assemble.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think JB Weld would do some wonders for you. Or any other good liquid epoxy.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If there was another available for purchase, I think I would be more comfortable moving forward. I think I am going to drop off the lock cylinder and key to my lock smith. He has done great work for me in the past and it has been very reasonable.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have played with an Omron lock...but mostly fitting the cam and mounting the lock. Why do you need to depin it? I see you have an Omron key. If it don't turn, have you messed with the lever yet? I got my Omron lock from Candyflip. I already had a key, but no lock. While playing with it before installation...I held the lever down while turning it. The key would come out at 180 degrees and lever returns to rest. Key would not turn in this position. The arrows are not lined up at this point. There is an arrow on the cylinder at 12o'clock, it lines up with an arrow on the barrel. For the example just used, where I held the lever and turned the key...The arrows did not line up because the key can be removed with the arrow at 6o'clock. If I pulled the key out a click...or sometimes half way, I could get it to turn. Mostly, no turn. As a matter of fact, I had trouble getting it to return back to the correct position! I remember thinking I broke it! After much messing with the button, turning, jiggling, cursing, etc. It turned the half turn where the arrows lined up, and it worked fine again. I couldn't tell from your pics if the arrows are lined up or not. It might be worth playing with it to see if it is 180 degrees out. Here is everything I know about Omron locks:Help with modern lock The part about the button is in post #18.
    My best guess about that tab is...All machines come from the factory with the same key. Does pushing the button and turning half way and removing it set it up for a "special" key?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The arrows are lined up. When I bought the machine the previous owner sent me a key but said it did not work. I bought another key and did not work as well. I have tried playing with the key and lever but was not able to make progress. I have assumed it was a problem with the lock cylinder and decided to de-pin the lock.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Card Shark View Post
    The arrows are lined up. When I bought the machine the previous owner sent me a key but said it did not work. I bought another key and did not work as well. I have tried playing with the key and lever but was not able to make progress. I have assumed it was a problem with the lock cylinder and decided to de-pin the lock.
    I've got a few like that too. The cylinders just won't turn, even when they've been removed from the door. I assume they either just fail or someone has tried using a non Pachinko key and messed up the pins. I saw an ad for the locks recently and I should have jumped on them then. I'll be watching to see what solution you come up with.
    スカイダンス

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am hoping to drop it off at the lock smith soon. Hopefully this week. He has done great work for me in the past but this will be the first Omron lock I have given him.