Thread: New to restoration

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New to restoration

when I was a kid my grandmother had a Pachiko Machine and I loved it always wanted one but could not remember what the were called till last night at the auction they had two I payed way to much for them Im sure but I was coming from a sentimental place My husband got both for me they need a lot of work and parts I would like to know where to start I have been looking all night and I see sights with some parts but Im not sure exactly what parts are missing and what parts just need cleaning or replacing can any one tell me where to start I know they are both Nishijin one is power flush, super deluxe pachinko1.JPGback2.JPG he other is a super dx pachinko2.JPGback.JPG I think it will be fun to restore them I dont know if these particular machines are worth the effort i cant tell but they don't look to far gone from what I have seen if it would be better for me to buy a different machine and use these for parts let me know any opinions and advice would be welcome thank you.

2. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Gertichick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New to restoration

Looks like what's missing is balls - hundreds and hundreds of shiny little spheres. They don't look too far gone from here either.
    "Knowledge is good." - Emil Faber

4. The following user says "Thanks" to ballsofsteel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've got the Balls Loads of them we just cant seem to figure out what is needed to get them going. Im glad to know that Im not the only one who dose not think they are to far gone maybe they just need minor work and a good cleaning would you know where to start? Is there a book and How do i find out which Model or type : A,B what ever I am totally new at this but am really excited to learn all about it and thank you for your response Im feeling encouraged

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Gertichick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You have a Powerflash and a model 'A'. Start with the sticky threads in this forum - there are a couple about how the 'A' works and another about cleaning.

... and since nobody else has said it...

to PachiTalk!
    "Knowledge is good." - Emil Faber

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ballsofsteel

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk.

Nice looking machines. Believe it or not, you have two of the more sought after machines in the pachinko community.

The power flash is an electro-mechanical machine based on the Nishijin Model 'B' mechanics. In a normal model "B" the "tulips" are opened and closed by balls entering in the tulips. On a power flash, the opening and closing of the tulips are controlled by solenoids. It is a precursor to some of the more modern pachinkos in that it is one of the first machines where actual jackpot elements were controlled electrically. If you look in the Vintage Pachinko forum and look at the Model B video posted in the sticky section, you will learn a bit more about the mechanics of a "b" style machine. The Power Flashes are fairly rare as there were not that many made and make up a small percentage of the total number of pachinkos that were imported in the US during the 70's

The second machine is a Nishijin 'Model A' Recycler. The Recycler is most easily identified by the little window in the lower left hand corner of the playing field that allows the player to see the balls in the jackpot tray. The Model 'A' is one of the more common models of pachinkos imported, but it is because of the "recycler" function of the model a that makes it desirable. On most pachinkos, all the balls that exit the playfield exit into a tray in the back of the machine. While playing, you must periodically empty this tray into the jackpot supply tray at the top. The 'model a' eliminates a lot of this refilling because the balls that exit the playfield are recycled directly to the jackpot supply tray. If the player begins to win too much, then a gate opens that allows some balls from the upper jackpot supply tray to enter the lower tray. If the player begins to lose too much, then as the balls fill up the lower tray, excess balls are directed to a small external tray in the back of the machine. Home users love this machine because it reduces the amount of refilling a player has to do by at least 90%.

There is a model A technical animation on the sticky section of this forum. I highly recommend you watch it. It will explain the details of the operation of an "A" and will help you understand the "basics" of how most vintage pachinkos work. There is also a model 'a' video that shows a model 'a' in action that is helpful.

As far as books go, James King who is a member here has written a book called Pachinko Machine Restoration. It is a Kindle book and for 10.00 is a no-brainer. Here is the link to the book. Amazon.com: Pachinko Machine Restoration eBook: James King: Kindle Store

From the photos you have posted these machines look to be fairly intact. The most common cause of pachinko machine malfunction is lack of balls. Second on the list is dirt. Once a machine is cleaned up and has enough balls, then they usually work.

The power flash machine does require electricity to work, so on that machine it is most likely that failure mechanism has to do with the solenoids.

I personally would not get rid of those machines. You have a couple of gems there. But you may need to put some work into them.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to Pachitalk!

What you have there is a 1974 Nishijin T- Bird Powerflash. And a 1973 Nishijin Model A (switches)

On the powerflash DO NOT plug it into power. I see it has a transformer but post a close up picture of it. Because if it is wired wrong you hole machine is toast. (Well the diodes will be and then you would have to replace them.) The powerflash is unique in the sense that it needs 10v for the regular lights and 25v for the pockets to function.

On your model A you are missing the track cover on the back. That is needed so balls won't spill out everywhere. They can be tricky to find as those always break off or get destroyed because people open them up even though there is never really a need to.

Anyways if you have any questions feel free to ask. And once again welcome to PT.

-Max

100 machines and counting...

12. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

take a look at my vid..

moparformances - YouTube
    there are a few there that might help ya... and or searche "power flash" on youtube.. there are lots of vids..

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!

I love my T-Bird Powerflash. It is really a fun machine. You are in great hands here. I am sure you will have them up and running soon.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: New to restoration

Hello

I'll pop the pics the right way up for you

pf1.jpgpf2.jpga1.jpga2.jpg

You have come to the right place for help with your pachinkos, I'm sure the knowledgeable Vintage members will be able to help you with any restoration or trouble shooting advice

Welcome to PachiTalk!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you all So much. I am going to have fun restoring these machines we are planing to make it a family project so that may take a little more time with everyone's Schedules but a lot of fun too and I'm very grateful that you all are willing to share your knowledge it will be a great help as we take this on. I will be getting Mr. Kings book asap thank you for that advice as well. Have a Great Sunday Everyone

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Gertichick

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes, welcome!

Other than a good cleaning, they don't appear to need too much. Don't oil anything, pachinkos are made to run clean and dry, and oil just attracts dirt. Don't adjust anything unless you know for sure it needs adjusting. Pachinkos have very few adjustments, and those need to be changed seldom. While they look very complex and "Rube Goldberg like", they are actually very simple and reliable machines the will function for a long time with little maintenance.

Enjoy your machines!
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.